Extractor spring life span???
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chillywig

Thread: Extractor spring life span???

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Extractor spring life span???

Went shooting today and had several failures to eject running FA. Empty case does not leave the receiver and gets smashed by the bolt face when chambering the next round. I figured I needed to replace the extractor spring but when I took it apart it feels like it has a lot of grip. I can barely move the extractor without using something other than my finger to push on it - I was expecting it to be much looser. Is there a rule of thumb to gauge when the extractor spring is kaput?

Gun is an Omega OM9 FS that has always ran great. Mags were german and x products drum. Ammo was wolf steel cased 115s and PPU 124

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Default Extractor spring life span???

7,500 is what’s recommended by HK. If you tried to move your extractor (not spring) and it feels solid, probably another issue. You can also break down your BCG and place a round on the bolt head and check for “grip”. You can also remove your spring and see if it’s bent or has any marks on it. Sometime you can bend it back into place and keep using it for a while longer. Also: Check mags, check ejector level, check bolt gap.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I knew I was way under 7500 rounds and the extractor felt like it had plenty of grip. When I pulled the bolt out to look at the extractor it was kinda dirty. Honestly it had been a long time since it had been pulled apart and cleaned. Not that many rounds thru it but maybe last year since it had been lubed. I decided I would lube it up and give it another try. Ran the same 7 mags thru it and it ran flawless this evening.

about dusk https://youtu.be/4Odku3FFors
    jessmcquaid likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

when i have fte and check the extract spring. uniformly when its the problem and is kaput it's easily pushed up by finger/thumb and is clearly loose indicating replacement needed. It's never been tight as you seem to describe w your gun/issue.

In short I doubt its a simple extractor spring replacement thats needed in your case as Oicani states. I agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just have a hand full of spares. My cousins ptr seems to need one every 1000 rounds

Sponsored Links