Okay, I'm a Complete Idiot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Okay, I'm a Complete Idiot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Okay, I'm a Complete Idiot.

So it's finally starting to cool off a little here in Phoenix. I haven't shot outside for a few months now cause it's way too hot here in the summertime and I've been out of town quite a bit. I had the day off today and it was a little overcast and almost cool so I decided to take some guns out to the desert. I threw the HK23e (registered receiver) along with a few other guns in the back of the truck and headed out. Now I've had the 23e for a little while now but have only shot it in the 11e configuration, cause I didn't have any links and didn't get a 23e barrel until just a few months ago when it was already too hot to shoot outside. But now I have linked ammo and a 23e barrel so I'm psyched to get out.

I get to my usual spot in the desert and get set up. I throw a couple targets up and start shooting all my non-HK guns; I'm saving the full auto 23e for last. I go through a couple handguns, a couple AR variants, and a bolt gun, then I'm ready for the 23e. I line up the ammo belt in the feed mech, close it up, slap the charging handle. Selector switch to FA, load the bipod, take a breath, pull the trigger. Nothing happens. WTF. I look in the chamber and the bolt carrier is stuck halfway open with a round jammed against the trunnion and the M27 link partially crushed. Hmm. Disappointed, but okay whatever. I take out the belt, pull out the crushed link, reset the belt in the feed mech, try again. Same thing happens. I tried three more times before giving up and just shooting the AR's some more before packing up and going home.

I get home and try to troubleshoot why my 23e isn't feeding properly. Is it an issue with the carrier? Problem with the feed mech? Am I loading it wrong? Maybe I'll call TSC in the morning (it's a TSC gun) and ask Mike. As a last resort I pick up my little red HK21e/23e book and it randomly opens to the 'Loading the Machine Guns' page. I stare at the diagram for a couple seconds and it finally hits me--I was loading the belt upside down. I completely forgot that the 21/23 guns feed with the links facing DOWN. I am such a n00b.
    Single Barrel and gt40doc like this.
    HK21E/23E/11E Registered Receiver (Fleming/TSC)
    USP Tactical .45ACP
    USP 45 Compact Tactical

Pending:
    S&H registered sear burst pack (TSC)
    MP5F SBR (TSC)
    HK53 SBR (TSC)

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh man, sounds like you're gonna have to head out to the desert again.

Haha, it happens. Must be an HK thing.

MJP2012, Single Barrel and abube like this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That sucks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've done it a few times and don't have any excuses, as I have been using the 23E for years. When you are used to putting "brass to grass" for other guns, sometimes you have a mind-fart and do it in the HK system. So you crush one link, cuss at yourself a bit, then flip the belt over and have fun.

It's still part of a day spent shooting, which means it's automatically a GOOD day.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Don't sweat it!!!

Tony

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bangbangduck View Post
    Haha, it happens. Must be an HK thing.

I knew it... I just knew somebody was gonna post that picture. Lol.

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

That's really pretty funny.
    Don't forget to call Mike, even though you figured it out yourself.
    Let him tell you how many other guys did the same and DIDN'T figure it out themselves.
    My opinion's as worthy as one from any other doddering old grampa you have never met or heard of.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobblestone View Post
    That's really pretty funny.
    Don't forget to call Mike, even though you figured it out yourself.
    Let him tell you how many other guys did the same and DIDN'T figure it out themselves.
    Haha I thought it was pretty funny too. I think I was more relieved than anything else that it was such a simple fix. Taking it back out on Sunday with a buddy who's NEVER shot a gun before. He's in for a treat.

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Before I got to the end of your post I already knew that your belt was upside down. Don't ask me how I knew it.
    MJP2012 likes this.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

After I purchased my first HK belt fed I ordered 3000k rounds of ammo, belts and a loader. Linked all the ammo and went to the ranch. Did the exact same thing you did, but had a lot of belts to unlink and relink.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links