SP5 as sear host? - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: SP5 as sear host?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not a lawyer or a RKI for that matter, but I did read the Zenith carrier block letter (and I once stayed at a Super 8). As I understand it, Zenith had the carrier block because they had a double push pin AND an undersized shelf so the carrier block was required. Again, not necessarily apples to apples, but where does that leave the SP5?

https://zenithfirearms.com/blog/remo...arrier-blocks/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm new to the forums so all this stuff is still a bit confusing. I'm wanting to buy this gun then save up my money for a sear pack to convert it (I have the means to do so). From what I've gathered, milling off the block is a legal grey area and a letter from the ATF would help to calm the nerves of those capable of doing it, so it could be a while until we know for sure. Insofar as that, would it at all be possible to convert a semi-auto BOLT CARRIER to a full auto one by welding back on the material then milling it to spec? I know this is a very, very stupid question but I'm kinda high-strung when it comes to my guns and don't like them to be mismatching/unoriginal.

Planning on getting a 4 position sear pack btw so if there is any issues with that as well please let me know.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I think youve got it right about the gray area. It seems modifying a full auto carrier (which is essentially what you are describing) is still unknown because it doesn't seem there will be enough metal left to trip the auto sear once the metal is removed to clear the SP5 block. Modifying a semi auto bolt is essentially the same thing...except you'd be adding metal for the "trip ramp" instead of removing part of the ramp as I described. Just easier to remove metal than add it back to where it never was.

No issues at all in getting a Sear. It may not end up being able to work in the SP5 for the above reasons. So if you can only buy one host at this time to work for the Sear, you'd be better off buying a full auto capable clone like Dakota Tactical, Turner Fabrications, PTR, Omega, etc. Or just wait and see if someone figures out a way for the SP5 to work as a sear host. But in reality you'll want an SP5 eventually just to have as close to an all German MP5 that you can get, so might as well stay on the hunt for the SP5. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

What a let down. The SP5 is so close but yet so very far away from what I was hoping for; which, was a factory HK/German manufactured pistol that could be used as an "MP5" host. For those entertaining purchasing one of these things, don't worry as I'm sure someone will quickly figure out a way for it to work with a registered sear. That said, I wonder why anyone would be interested in buying one as host with so many issues to fix and with so many high quality "sear ready" clones already out there such as MM, TSC, Dakota, etc....

It's ironic that a most of the MP5 clones being produced in the US are now more authentic "HK" than an actual Hk/German Obendorf manufactured gun.

PBR
    Last edited by PBRstreetgang; 12-08-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    We like to feel that we can get out

of trouble quicker than we got into it.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

And yet I’m sad.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TallPine View Post
    I think youve got it right about the gray area. It seems modifying a full auto carrier (which is essentially what you are describing) is still unknown because it doesn't seem there will be enough metal left to trip the auto sear once the metal is removed to clear the SP5 block. Modifying a semi auto bolt is essentially the same thing...except you'd be adding metal for the "trip ramp" instead of removing part of the ramp as I described. Just easier to remove metal than add it back to where it never was.

No issues at all in getting a Sear. It may not end up being able to work in the SP5 for the above reasons. So if you can only buy one host at this time to work for the Sear, you'd be better off buying a full auto capable clone like Dakota Tactical, Turner Fabrications, PTR, Omega, etc. Or just wait and see if someone figures out a way for the SP5 to work as a sear host. But in reality you'll want an SP5 eventually just to have as close to an all German MP5 that you can get, so might as well stay on the hunt for the SP5. :)
    see below, not gray at all, sp5k's are converted all the time and use the same shelf as the sp5.

Quote Originally Posted by rhouston8 View Post
    And yet I’m sad.
    why ?

Quote Originally Posted by whodge1327 View Post
    Sear WILL be ok in SP5...Mark my text ��
    you are 100% correct

Quote Originally Posted by LRM19k View Post
    The carrier block is exactly in line where the trip lever would contact the carrier ramp, so I don't thing that would work, unfortunately. You almost need to have some sort of removable ramp that can be screwed in place on the carrier once it's interested into the receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbntex View Post
    Agreed, the current block appears to be right in line with where the full auto trip lever is. However, look at the attached pic you can see how little of the block actually appears to be in the way of the MP5 full auto carrie ramp. It looks like maybe as little as 25% of the full auto trip ramp on an MP5 carrier would need to be milled away so that a MP5 full auto carrier would fit past the block.

That leaves you with what appears to be at least 50% of the ramp on the carrier left. At that point you just need a new updated trip lever with a slightly widened engagement surface to engage that remaining portion of the ramp on the MP5 full auto carrier.

The angle of this picture isn't ideal, what we need to see is the same pic/mockup of a MP5 carrier being inserted into an SP5 but looking directly down into the receiver to see the exact overlap area on the MP5 carrier that has to be removed.
    My thought was to go father than a screw in trip and do something that requires no tools and is more secure. How? Well my idea is somewhat similar in many ways to what you see in the 93 buffered carriers for retaining the buffer & spring. Mill a dovetail into the end of the carrier for a profiled trip with a matching profile on the end to fit in the dovetail. This arrangement should allow a ramped trip profile to be inserted and retained.

The block could be made of a small piece of hardened bar stock.

This is no different than modifying/welding the carrier for FA use on the SP5k which many builder routinely do. No modifications to the receiver required at all and sear ready host capability is retained.
    Last edited by flybynt; 12-10-2019 at 04:07 AM.
    TallPine, LRM19k and caf82313 like this.
    Thomas Jefferson -
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Just wish it were more plug n play for sear owners.... meaning on par with clones which are readily available as such

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

@flybynt I like the cut of your jib, sir. Look forward to seeing your idea come to light.
    flybynt likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TallPine View Post
    @flybynt I like the cut of your jib, sir. Look forward to seeing your idea come to light.
    As soon as i get my hands on one it will be done I promise! If not mine I am sure I can talk to Ralph at RDTS and see if he will do it to one if @Brad4065 or other member here will volunteer theirs
    Last edited by flybynt; 12-09-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    caf82313 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flybynt View Post
    As soon as i get my hands on one it will be done I promise! If not mine I am sure I can convince Ralph at RDTS to do it to one if @Brad4065 or other member here will volunteer thiers
    Ralph and I have already been in discussions...….I'm hopeful that he can fix it to make us all happy. And yes.....I've already volunteered

to be the guinea pig.
    GPSIG and caf82313 like this.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links