SP5 as sear host? - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: SP5 as sear host?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hk21man View Post
    FYI removing the carrier block is not an issue.
    MM
    Says the same guy who wouldn't remove the sp5k block. Nice.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

Well……<pause>

After speaking with some gun smith peeps, that have forgotten more than I know about HK's......here is what I have gathered;

If you make your SP5 "sear compatible", then you must leave the sear with the SP5, otherwise, you've created a post 86 MG.

I'm not saying this is the gospel, but I'm not going to be the ATF guinea pig sitting in court. Oh well...…
    TallPine likes this.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

As I asked before, us there any reason not to write a letter and ask the ATF? Is there anything after the Zenith letter that happened that called into question the Zenith letter which seemed logical to me since you had 40 years of shelves without Sear blocks and no issues?

It just doesn’t make any sense to me that you can create a new firearm without the block that is 100% identical to the SP5 (and even weld a shelf on a full auto parts kit) to do it, but you can’t remove the block. I get the block was put there for a reason and no one wants to take a chance to remove it, but why not just ask. The worst they can say is no and we are left at the same place we are right now.
    Last edited by willgaga; 12-13-2019 at 12:05 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by willgaga View Post
    As I asked before, us there any reason not to write a letter and ask the ATF? Is there anything after the Zenith letter that happened that called into question the Zenith letter which seemed logical to me since you had 40 years of shelves without Sear blocks and no issues? I get the block was put there for a reason and no one wants to take a chance to remove it, but why not just ask. The worst they can say is no and we are left at the same place we are right now.
    Go ahead and write that letter to the ATF and be THAT guy
    Brad4065 likes this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It’s a serious question. Thought I set it out pretty clearly. Not sure why it deserves a flippant response. I am not trying to be “that guy” (whatever that means) or even offering to write the letter, but want to understand the concern. There are 70 posts in this thread debating the topic and I understand that no one wants to chance running afoul of the ATF, but again, the worst thing that I could see happening is they say no. If they said yes, sure seems like a lot easier path that spending countless hours debating the topic and coming up with a workaround - and there seems to be a pretty good case for yes.

The only downside I could see is it might hurt folks that have already removed the block, but this thing has only been out a week so seems a low risk there. So educate me and I mean that sincerely.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

@willgaga , I think some are weary of writing letters to ATF in the belief that sometimes it can come back to bite the community. The worry being that the ATF can respond with even more harsh limitations that they previous weren't thinking about, or reversals or strengthening of previous decisions, etc. I think there may be some credence to this worry...that such kick back has happened before. Cant recall what those might have been. Someone else will know.

edit: here's a funny pic that is commonly used to illustrate the concern.
    SP5 as sear host?-9873cpi.jpg
    Last edited by TallPine; 12-13-2019 at 01:27 AM.
    veritas and caf82313 like this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

As I asked before, us there any reason not to write a letter and ask the ATF? Is there anything after the Zenith letter that happened that called into question the Zenith letter which seemed logical to me since you had 40 years of shelves without Sear blocks and no issues?

It just doesn’t make any sense to me that you can create a new firearm without the block that is 100% identical to the SP5 (and even weld a shelf on a full auto parts kit) to do it, but you can’t remove the block. I get the block was put there for a reason and no one wants to take a chance to remove it, but why not just ask. The worst they can say is no and we are left at the same place we are right now.
    The reason people don’t like others writing letters is because they are afraid of getting back an answer they don’t like. If someone writes a letter and the ATF comes back saying that the sear block can’t be removed, it’s going to spoil things for the guys who want to do it or have already done it. Right or wrong, that’s how some people see it.
    caf82313 likes this.
    Do you even HK, Bro?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ok, understandable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are 70 posts in this thread debating the topic and I understand that no one wants to chance running afoul of the ATF, but again, the worst thing that I could see happening is they say no. If they said yes, sure seems like a lot easier path that spending countless hours debating the topic and coming up with a workaround - and there seems to be a pretty good case for yes.

The only downside I could see is it might hurt folks that have already removed the block, but this thing has only been out a week so seems a low risk there. So educate me and I mean that sincerely.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPine View Post
    @willgaga , I think some are weary of writing letters to ATF in the belief that sometimes it can come back to bite the community. The worry being that the ATF can respond with even more harsh limitations that they previous weren't thinking about, or reversals or strengthening of previous decisions, etc.
    I suppose a completely draconian worst case scenario would be if ATF issued a response that would somehow imply that not just removing the block on the SP5 is verboten, but that now all roller lock guns with a shelf but without a block are reclassified. Unlikely based on the precedent set by historically and currently allowing such guns, but within the realm of possibilities, if you accept that logic is not necessarily always applied at that agency.

I too am really curious about whether the block can be removed, and I hope that it will be possible to get a reliable answer, eventually.

What might give us an idea of the legal significance of the block without having to open Pandora's box, would be to know the discussions that were had between HK and ATF when they sought approval for the SP5 (and previously SP5K for that matter). That would require some deep access within HK...

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LilTakkun View Post
    Says the same guy who wouldn't remove the sp5k block. Nice.
    Get your facts straight...or you Mike's right...
    I have never said I wouldn't remove the "nub" in an SP5K.
    What I have said is why would you want to.
    Best to convert the best carrier (the tungsten F) it comes with to F/A.
    I'll remove all the nubs you want send them on.....
    MM
    LRM19k, Spitfyr, caf82313 and 1 others like this.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links