Sp5 suppressed bolt travel and knurled thread protectors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Sp5 suppressed bolt travel and knurled thread protectors

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default Sp5 suppressed bolt travel and knurled thread protectors

Does the bolt carrier hit the endcap when shooting 147gr in a Sp5 (or Mp5) while suppressed? Or does it run out of energy before then? If so, how much travel is left?

Will the factory knurling on the Sp5 (or Mp5) thread protectors damage the internal sleeve of 3 lug mounts? Or is a smooth thread protector required?

Thanks in advance.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I had no issues with the thread protector and a gemtech 3 lug adapter. I used 147gr speer lawman suppressed for the first mag thru my SP5 yesterday and it ran flawlessly.
    ghilliebear2000 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkpro007 View Post
    I had no issues with the thread protector and a gemtech 3 lug adapter. I used 147gr speer lawman suppressed for the first mag thru my SP5 yesterday and it ran flawlessly.
    Not to hijack but i've noticed my thread protector occasionally gets a little loose after shooting suppressed a fair bit--are you loctiting it or anything on?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I ordered some smooth thread protectors from GSL and will be using thread locker. I’m 100% on team 3 lug.

Still curious if the F recoil assembly allows the bolt carrier to hit the rear suppressed. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I have the SilencerCo Hybrid and have had no issues with the knurled thread protector.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've never had an issue with the knurled thread protector when using both the full size and compact SilencerCo 3 lug adapters. If the threads/muzzle are clean, sometimes the thread protector will get a little loose. But if there's carbon on the muzzle, it stays pretty tight.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I'd recommend using an o-ring behind the thread protector. It'll help keep it on more cleanly than thread locker.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tlrgsxr View Post
    Does the bolt carrier hit the endcap when shooting 147gr in a Sp5 (or Mp5) while suppressed? Or does it run out of energy before then? If so, how much travel is left?

Will the factory knurling on the Sp5 (or Mp5) thread protectors damage the internal sleeve of 3 lug mounts? Or is a smooth thread protector required?

Thanks in advance.
    No issues with either of your questions. The A2 stock was designed without a buffer so rest assured it is not damaging to fire the SP5 with the endcap. The internal ring of your 3 lug device should be steel, so it would take many hundreds of attachments/removals to cause any appreciable wear; and this would not likely be to the 3 lug adapter sleeve but to the base that interacts with your barrel lugs. If that were to happen with a very high volume shooter, get yourself another 3 lug adapter and keep shooting.

I don't know what mount you will be using but I can confirm that my MP5-N and SP5 3 lugs with factory german thread protectors do not interfere with Gemtech 3 lug mounts. The Gemtech SMG cans used to be the standard for mp5 mounts, so I would imagine a few well-known manufacturers based their 3 lug designs on it.
    Last edited by surely_you_jest; 12-23-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I got the GSL smooth thread protectors. I read Dr. Dater advises their use over the knurled ones. I installed it with a couple drops of blue thread locker, seems fine.

I also tested how far the carrier travels when shooting 147 gr suppressed with an Omega 9k and a legacy 3 Sico mount. I just put some white lithium grease on the inner rails and fired 3 shots each of Speer Lawman and American Eagle. Judging by the top to bottom smearing on the rails, it appears to stop an inch or so from the rear of the receiver. The left side isn’t as obvious as the right, probably because I applied it a little too evenly on the left. Anyway, here’s the pics for reference.

Sp5 suppressed bolt travel and knurled thread protectors-68cf23f5-08cb-4e5d-aa70-f1b61c3371e9.jpegSp5 suppressed bolt travel and knurled thread protectors-1b91cfc4-c134-462b-8b61-faac6d108868.jpeg
    68fan, CPshooter and jimmydfw like this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I operate under the assumption that the HK engineers knew what they were doing and would have put a different thread protector on if it was an issue. Somehow I suspect they are more qualified to do an assessment than 99.9% of us and would head a simple problem like that off at the pass.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links