HKPRO Forums banner

Cleaning rods for mp5s..??

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  d5k_deutsche 
#1 ·
So ive been using the standard HK cleaning kit pouch, but im wondering can this rod damage the rifling? is there a plastic or brass rod i should over what the HK kits include?

#4 ·
I also use only the Dewey coated rods, they are excellent. I use Brownells brushes with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 ·
The MP5's I shoot are ran until they are filthy. I use bore cleaner (soaking for recommended time per product or 15 mins), aluminum short rod, brass brushes, 9' Series breech brush and 9' series receiver brush connected to my Dewalt Drill and ran on very slow speed. I clean barrel first, then chamber, chamber face and receiver, parts washer w/50% Napa and 50% Kerosene, air to blow out clean. Next step is copper remover in barrel, and then start the same process over again until clean. After all this is completed a dip in CLP and allowed to drain over night, wipe out inside and out and run her again.

Go ahead and start the bashing about using the drill. People forget or cannot think outside the box. The barrels are chrome lined (chrome is waaay harder than brass, aluminum etc) and built to have bullets under extreme pressure and heat very rapidly sent down them at speeds faster than the speed of sound. To each his own, but I prefer to shoot more and clean less.

Other parts go into a sonic cleaner and cleaned by hand as needed. After, washed in water and blown dry, a dip in CLP and allowed to drain over night, wipe off and reassemble.

#12 ·
IIRC SP5K barrels aren't chrome lined, atleast not my BG date code afaik. I dont have that kind of set up for cleaning, or i would do that.. I just need a better rod. waiting for dewey to write me back. For the guys using the dewey rods, what size and length do you use for mp5/mp5k/SP whatever.

My current rod for it is the HK one, and its jointed, and also rusted at the joints for some reason, so i can't use that anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.