HKPRO Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MTM sear; what do I need to convert a semi auto MP5 variant

16K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  rickj1nd 
#1 · (Edited)

Gents,

I have the registered sear above (I'm a SOT) and have seen lots of different info on what I'd actually need to do in order to convert a PTR or Zenith gun to full auto/select fire.

I've seen some threads stating hammers/carriers/packs etc... need mods and others saying they don't so I'm a little confused here hence the request for info/assistance.

Looking forward to the replies; thanks :44:

See less See more
#2 ·
Narrow it down to what exactly you are trying to do as a SOT.....example, I want to install this registered sear in a pack and have it run full auto on a PTR clone.....this will yield a better result for you

#3 ·
The easiest way for an SOT to make any 9x series gun run is to notch a trigger pack, engrave it and register it as a postie. IMO, the best thing for an SOT to do with a registered sear is to sell it to somebody other than an FFL/SOT.

#16 ·
My reading of the regulation on “conspicuous” engraving means that the engraving has to be conspicuous (i.e. sufficiently deep and large enough to be easily read) not that it has to be LOCATED in a conspicuous place. In my view, it tells you how to engrave not where to engrave. The purpose of the engraving on a firearm is to permit the authorities to uniquely identify a firearm in order to execute their lawful authorities. As long as engraving can be seen in the course of a routine examination of the exterior of the receiver or barrel, then you are good to go. (And in my view, removing optic mounts and furniture is “routine”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#19 ·
I have many postie packs in my inventory. Many installed in hosts. I get inspected pretty much every year (I'm in a border state). Engraving the metal of the pack has never been an issue.

#20 ·
I believe there was an article in SAR where they went over some of the history on this. I believe there were imports, like SKS’s from Russia where part of the serial number was covered by the forward stock which was extremely difficult to remove. It also didn’t help that their serial numbers also sometimes included letters that were backwards.

#22 ·
How about a postie AR15 DIAS? Cant imagine engraving anything it ever drops into. I can only imagine the ATF intent must be that the engraving should be conspicuous on the MG itself (DIAS) not necessarily in plain sight as viewing the converted firearm. Ex: a postie DIAS should not have its engraving in the channel underneath the trip paddle. That would not be as conspicuous a location when there are much better areas to engrave.

Of course Im just speculating and am probably wrong.lol

#23 ·
Good distinction. But I still think ATF could say, “not MY problem.” After all, it wouldn’t solve their issue with regard to routine inspection, etc. I would think they would argue such a machine gun can only be utilized by making it inconspicuous.

#24 ·
From ATF info regarding markings: "The requirement that the marking be “conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be wholly unobstructed from plain view."

I've watched a bunch of Youtube videos on the SP5 and other MP5 clones. I've noticed that there were a few that were SBR'd and were engraved below the rear push pin hole on the receiver, under the trigger housing. Going by the "must be wholly unobstructed from plain view" stance, would marking the channels under a collapsible stock even be OK when the stock is collapsed? It's getting ridiculous and is only going to take that one agent....

#27 ·
As far as that sear goes have a gunsmith experienced with trigger packs install it in a lower that they will cut to clear the semi shelf and time a hammer to. TSC Machine is my first recommendation but one of the ralphs, pcs, dakota tactical, etc should all be able to turn it around. You want the pack cut to clear the sp5k shelf and I'd have the ejector lever area cut a little deeper if needed to run a belt fed.

For the zenith you need to either have a modified carrier, post sample the gun itself, or have someone install a normal semi shelf and then remove the rear block(last one is more iffy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.