MP5 Separated Case Stuck In Chamber
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: MP5 Separated Case Stuck In Chamber

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default MP5 Separated Case Stuck In Chamber

Has anyone ever experienced this? We were shooting normal factory 147gr subsonics today w/ MK-9K attached. Gun functioned perfect on the first four mags. After the first F/A string of the fifth mag, the next trigger pull produced a loud bang (almost like the action was unlocked). Followed by... a complete ejection, a clean mag strip, a 3/4 closed BCG on the live stripped round not fully seated into the chamber, a damaged mag (crack in rear seam behind the feed lips) and a bent extractor spring (which would be expected). A thorough inspection of the barrel, receiver, trunion and entire BCG revealed nothing out of the ordinary except a "ring-like" section of seperated case tightly lodged in the foremost portion of the chamber flutes. A search for the spent separated case head proved unsuccessful. Two points to figure out moving forward... What caused it and how to remove the brass "ring"? Because the "ring" dosen't stand proud of the barrel portion (its ID is still greater than that of the barrel rifling), a push with a dowel or plastic jag from the muzzle end didn't work. My next thought was extraction with a bolt or some type of easy-out turned into the "ring" from the receiver end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rickj1nd View Post
    Has anyone ever experienced this? We were shooting normal factory 147gr subsonics today w/ MK-9K attached. Gun functioned perfect on the first four mags. After the first F/A string of the fifth mag, the next trigger pull produced a loud bang (almost like the action was unlocked). Followed by... a complete ejection, a clean mag strip, a 3/4 closed BCG on the live stripped round not fully seated into the chamber, a damaged mag (crack in rear seam behind the feed lips) and a bent extractor spring (which would be expected). A thorough inspection of the barrel, receiver, trunion and entire BCG revealed nothing out of the ordinary except a "ring-like" section of seperated case tightly lodged in the foremost portion of the chamber flutes. A search for the spent separated case head proved unsuccessful. Two points to figure out moving forward... What caused it and how to remove the brass "ring"? Because the "ring" dosen't stand proud of the barrel portion (its ID is still greater than that of the barrel rifling), a push with a dowel or plastic jag from the muzzle end didn't work. My next thought was extraction with a bolt or some type of easy-out turned into the "ring" from the receiver end.
    Piece of cake. I've had this happen several times with different firearms. Use Cerrosafe or Gallium that melts at very low temperatures. Plug the chamber just past the casing and pour the cerrosafe or gallium into the chamber and let it cool. Then just push out the plug with case with it using a rigid cleaning rod. This is an old trick. Does not hurt the chamber. After that clean the chamber and bore well. The causes of this are too many to list. More common with reloads

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Ive never experienced a seperated case. Was it factory ammo or reloads. If a reload maybe it was well used and weak brass. What do you think made the mag seam break?

As for getting the ring out, can you work a sharp dental pick in between case and chamber, maybe next to a flute? If you got it to begin to seperate, with some patience I bet you could deform it enough to release itself and pull it out. Harbor Freight or Amazon for dental picks. Of course be careful not to scratch the chamber.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

TallPines' solution is what I did when a "case ring" occurred in my MP5. I found the other part of the case and upon putting them together I
    found that the case separated right at the base of the bullet inside the brass.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HkCHUCK View Post
    TallPines' solution is what I did when a "case ring" occurred in my MP5. I found the other part of the case and upon putting them together I
    found that the case separated right at the base of the bullet inside the brass.
    Chuck, did you notice a large increase in volume in that round? I'm guessing that would be "normal"... as the case separated, the pressure would instantly drop and unlock the action while the powder was still burning. Probably lucky it didn't stick a "squib" round in the barrel.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

The ring in the chamber kept another round from being inserted. At the time it occurred I had not realized that the case had separated. I think
    I was firing full auto at the time, too. I noticed that the brass showed a clear indication at the base of the bullet on the case
    of the other unfired rounds. The rounds were factory ones 180 gr .357 Sig.
    Last edited by HkCHUCK; 01-03-2020 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Tried the small O-ring pics... No luck, too tight. Walked over to Dad's machine shop and found a brass bolt that was the perfect size to just grab the ID of the case ring and not touch the chamber walls. I also put a wrap of electrical tape over the rest of the bolt threads for extra protection. Gave it two revolutions into the stuck ring and tapped it out from the muzzle with a plastic jag on a carbon fiber rod... Came right out. Hope to shoot tomorrow and confirm all is well, after I put in a new extractor spring.
    GregAB and raymond- like this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

... All ended well. Checked function today with a new extractor spring, same ammunition and mags... Zero malfunctions.
    Thanks for the advice and PMs everyone!

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hi Rick, do you know the size of the bolt ?

I’m heading to basement to see what just barely screws into a 9 mm case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wow, glad no one got hurt or any damage to the gun. Good job getting out the stuck case.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links