SP5 to MP5-N conversion - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: SP5 to MP5-N conversion

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkmanlp1 View Post
    All you have to do is notify ATF to remove it from the registry.
    There’s no legal requirement to do so, doing so is a courtesy.
    rickj1nd likes this.

HK= NFG 4 the Wallet
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBTac View Post
    Attachment 252744Attachment 252738Attachment 252746Attachment 252740Attachment 252748Attachment 252742

Curious to know how many SP5 owners, or soon to be owners, plan to convert their SP5 to an MP5-N (including plans to SBR)? How many plan to leave the firearm as an SP5 and file form 1? Jr converted one of mine and it cleaned up really nicely.
    I like the fact that he spaced out the remark and not just "fit it in" like MM did. What I don't like is the the remark does not match the width and depth of the original font it replacing like TSC seems to accomplish. If that can't be done, its a a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    Definitely strange. Wrong importer for the date code/proof marks anyway.
    @freeride1

Care to elaborate on this? I know nothing about this? What would be the proper markings?
    Hidden Content 93A3│Hidden Content SP5│Hidden Content SP5K│Hidden Content MP5 N│Hidden Content MP5-22│Hidden Content VP9│SAR8│PTR 9CT

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerdude70 View Post
    I like the fact that he spaced out the remark and not just "fit it in" like MM did. What I don't like is the the remark does not match the width and depth of the original font it replacing like TSC seems to accomplish. If that can't be done, its a a deal breaker for me.

@freeride1

Care to elaborate on this? I know nothing about this? What would be the proper markings?
    Should be the new HK logo too IMO. This is a Columbus GA gun. Not Sterling VA.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HK= NFG 4 the Wallet
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBTac View Post
    Attachment 252744Attachment 252738Attachment 252746Attachment 252740Attachment 252748Attachment 252742

Curious to know how many SP5 owners, or soon to be owners, plan to convert their SP5 to an MP5-N (including plans to SBR)? How many plan to leave the firearm as an SP5 and file form 1? Jr converted one of mine and it cleaned up really nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerdb View Post
    Should be the new HK logo too IMO. This is a Columbus GA gun. Not Sterling VA.
    That's where I was going just not worded clearly. So I wonder why he went with Sterling VA?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

@freeride1

For the date code the appropriate importers are Ashburn VA(for LE/Mil guns) and Columbus GA for civilian guns. Agree with bauerdb on the logo, it's strange to see the old logo with new guns. Wrong date code and proof marks for that logo.

I'm a little uneasy about Ralph Jrs willingness to alter an importer, many smiths won't touch that kind of work. There was a very high quality fake HK94 on gunbroker that many of us posted about a month or so ago. I'll just say I have my suspicions on who may have produced it, given that there are only a handful of guys able to produce that kind of work.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    I personally would not SBR one of these simply because a brace does the same thing as a stock.
    Except for being a stock.
    LBTac, freeride1 and Nehalemguy like this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

That smith welds over the factory stamps and then does laser remarks, whereas TSC, MM and others weld over and then re-stamp the model number. That's why they look different.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tlrgsxr View Post
    There’s no legal requirement to do so, doing so is a courtesy.
    Someone chew on this logic and say what you think.

Since the SP-5 started life as a pistol, it can be made into a rifle, and then back to a pistol anytime the owner feels like it. I would think that converting it back to a pistol would allow you to take it across state lines anytime you please regardless of the NFA since the firearm would not be a NFA item at that time. ???

-E-

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nehalemguy View Post

Since the SP-5 started life as a pistol, it can be made into a rifle, and then back to a pistol anytime the owner feels like it. I would think that converting it back to a pistol would allow you to take it across state lines anytime you please regardless of the NFA since the firearm would not be a NFA item at that time. ???

-E-
    Yes, that's exactly right. The much bemoaned (usually by people who don't own SBRs) Form 5320.20 takes a week or two to get back. But if you don't file it in time, you just put a brace on it and you are good to go.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nehalemguy View Post

-E-
    NFA legal discussion is a slippery slope on message boards... Here's my fuel to the fire of how that action might be considered non-compliant: There is precedent of NFA branch determining that if you have SBRed a into a new rifle, when you "remove it from the registry" you must convert it to a compliant Title 1 rifle, not just back to a pistol. The "once a rifle, always a rifle" determination. There's a similar rule with transferable machineguns. If you had a legal registered receiver push pin MP5 and decided you didn't want it anymore, you can't just take out the sear, put on a pencil barrel and convert your pushpin back to the HK94 shelf, you have to destroy the receiver, because "once a machinegun, always a machinegun." You can't create a new MG, but luckily you can still create a new title 1 rifle. (before someone says it: married vs unmarried sear/receiver is a whole other can of worms)

Back on track though, @LBTac looks like he did a nice job on the refinish and the shelf! So the shelf is compatible with all of the HK9x series clipped and pinned housings?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links