Navy thread protector walking under suppressor + ambi selector install question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ducatijosh

Thread: Navy thread protector walking under suppressor + ambi selector install question

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Navy thread protector walking under suppressor + ambi selector install question

I've been shooting with my Z5-RS suppressed from time to time recently, using a Rugged Obsidian 45 with a 3-lug mount. Something I've noticed is that when the can is removed, the thread protector on the muzzle has loosened slightly. This is making me a little paranoid; the last thing I want is for it to start walking off inside the suppressor as I don't know if it's being retained by the suppressor's 3-lug mount. At the moment, I have an HK flash hider on it that is positively retaining the thread protector, but I'd like to find a way to keep it put without it.

Would using red loctite on the threads underneath the thread protector cause any issues? I've used red loctite on pistol compensators before with no ill effects, but I know temperatures inside suppressors get much higher, which makes me worry it'll melt off. I've also considered just dropping an O-ring between it and the thread shoulder, but I'm not sure if that might cause an issue with the suppressor mount either.

Also, I swapped a factory HK MP5SF ambi pack into a 4-position ambi pack today. I initially had some issues getting the selectors installed again; I stopped when I realized there was too much resistance trying to rotate them back into position and noticed very light wear marks on the right side selector hole where the detent was rubbing on the trigger box and housing.

Navy thread protector walking under suppressor + ambi selector install question-img_1489.jpg

I found Marine0303 mention in a post about burst packs that this was a sign that the right selector lever wasn't aligned properly, so I adjusted it, gave it a little inward pressure to keep the detent in line, and it rotated in just fine. However, I noticed my left side selector does not align with the new housing's selector markings when the gun is on safe. When on "fire," the selector lines up perfectly, and the right side lines up perfectly in both positions. Did I perhaps put this together wrong or is the slight misalignment just something that happens with ambi selectors sometimes? There doesn't appear to be any extra resistance when moving the selector, and both positions work correctly.

Navy thread protector walking under suppressor + ambi selector install question-img_1490.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Loctite won’t hold when it gets hot, or it will be permanent. Use a small dab of rocksett. It will hold under heat and you’ll still be able to break it loose with pliers and a rag.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Loctite is temp rated by color. In this case I'd be putting Loctite 271 on, which is heat resistant to 500F. I'm not sure if an MP5 muzzle would get that hot under a can. An AR, sure, but an MP5?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaptor View Post
    Loctite is temp rated by color. In this case I'd be putting Loctite 271 on, which is heat resistant to 500F. I'm not sure if an MP5 muzzle would get that hot under a can. An AR, sure, but an MP5?
    There was another thread on here about this. Had the same problem on MP5K.....Loctite works fine......even in full auto.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad4065 View Post
    There was another thread on here about this. Had the same problem on MP5K.....Loctite works fine......even in full auto.
    Sure, but then you'll need a torch to get it off. Why not just use rocksett which will hold under heat then you can still take it off with some light torque?
    CPshooter likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ducatijosh View Post
    Sure, but then you'll need a torch to get it off. Why not just use rocksett which will hold under heat then you can still take it off with some light torque?
    Because I use the tri-lug.....I don't think I've ever threaded a suppressor onto either MP5 or MP5K, and it works just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fair enough! :)

Sponsored Links