MP5 40 cal ever used by US SS or FBI?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GPSIG

Thread: MP5 40 cal ever used by US SS or FBI?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MP5 40 cal ever used by US SS or FBI?

I'm trying to find some historical info, does anyone know if the FBI or SS actually ever used the MP5 40 cal at any length of time?

Did they officially adopt it?

Did they ever abandoned it? If so why?

Did they use the 40 over the 9mm?

I heard some FBI agent in San Francisco lost his MP5 10mm in a car break in, can anyone confirm?

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VX666 View Post

I heard some FBI agent in San Francisco lost his MP5 10mm in a car break in, can anyone confirm?
    google, 3.1429 seconds, really

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/...-costa-county/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    And did they ever recover it?

Any info on the other questions?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

My FBI friends told me they only saw the 10mm MP5 at the FBI HQ range back before 9/11 when it was part of the HQS tour. They were issued only 9mm MP5s for their assignments. They also said there were probably 10mm guns out in Field Offices, but plenty of smart Agents who would keep it quiet in order to avoid instructions to exchange them for the 9mm guns. They also said nobody was interested in the MP5 at the range tour, everyone just wants to see the old Thompsons!

ETA: I had an FBI friend add that any 10mm guns left out in field offices are almost certainly not being used for "on the street" work, they are likely being kept as a reference or for firearms familiarity and range training. Apparently the FBI does not purchase and distribute 10mm ammunition of any kind currently, and therefore Agents could not use the 10mm guns in the line of duty as it could lead to internal policy and external legal problems. When I asked them how they would be shooting the guns without the ability to get the ammo officially, the friend suggested they would either be shooting out old reserves of the ammo (which can apparently be considerable) or purchasing limited amounts of new ammo via other purchasing authorities (like for use in range familiarization).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by GPSIG; 03-24-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Sponsored Links