HKPRO Forums banner

RE: The SKY IS FALLING :-)

36K views 191 replies 51 participants last post by  JoshNC 
#1 ·
RE: The SKY IS FALLING :)

Dear @caf82313 and @SudS

As you can plainly see in this thread, that for whatever reason, got closed, the sky fell today :biggrin:

I know....I know...I know......just call me Uncle Brad, the infinite wisdom that I possess is remarkable.

So, if you two want to sell me your sears now, cut your losses, I'll pay you …..hmmmm….$10K each,

while the market is falling.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long...nsferable-mp5k-s-h-sear-sef-trigger-pack.html

#3 ·
Nah......man this has been a long time coming. The two previously mentioned clowns....sorry girls....sorry boys, have been debating me for a
hot minute on this. They have a hard time admitting that I'm right....the market is crashed....and they're wrong.

No worries.....watch closely now :biggrin:

#4 ·
I got to give you a lot of credit. You predicted a sear in a clone would sell for sub $30k during a global pandemic! The new normal?

Dear @caf82313 and @SudS

As you can plainly see in this thread, that for whatever reason, got closed, the sky fell today :biggrin:

I know....I know...I know......just call me Uncle Brad, the infinite wisdom that I possess is remarkable.

So, if you two want to sell me your sears now, cut your losses, I'll pay you …..hmmmm….$10K each,

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long...nsferable-mp5k-s-h-sear-sef-trigger-pack.html

#7 ·
All I know is that 26k sear kept me up last night and thinking bad NFA thoughts, but I debated myself to sleep.....and began thinking about it again as soon as my eyes opened. I was so relieved to see someone stepped up and bought it.
On a serious note, I don’t think the sky is falling. Like with any unforeseen natural disaster, some people end up strapped for funds and have to part with non essential high dollar property. I’m not saying that was the case with this particular listing but highly likely. Just my .02

#11 · (Edited)
Fleming and S&H all top shelf

the price is not far off from all time high pricing given the state of the world economy I think it was priced for a fast sale and the seller obviously needed the cash or he could have asked a few grand more

I know many people here in Arizona who bought sears well under $10k many years ago so they are still doing just fine at $26k

I know a gent who sold a sear to a buddy for $10k in 2018 but the seller had 4 total and bought them for $2500 each back in the day - btw he said his friends all told him not to buy them for $2500 that it was way too much to pay lol

#124 ·
Machinegun market has been soft for a few years now.

And, with the state of the economy... everything that is a luxury is falling... Pateks, Audemars, G-Wagons, bottles of Willett, and yes... even machineguns. And, this is only the beginning. Can’t wait to take advantage of these down markets (being honest).
Same here. When sears hit about $5k, I'm in, lol.

#14 ·
Carl Higgins didn’t harden them so individuals have hardened them over the years before installing them in packs. If that didn’t happen before prolonged use they can be injured.

I know of crippled S&H FNC cast sears that suffered this fate

Properly hardened. Totally fine

#22 ·
Some may think I’m defending the value of my sears, not so. I have been into full auto HKs for 30 years, starting back when transferable sears could be purchased for a few hundred dollars. Point is, I’ve watched sear prices go up, and up, and at times back off, only to come back to two to three times the cost of what they were. I’ve posted on various gun message boards since the early 90’s, on HK Pro for what, 23-24 years? I’ve seen countless posts from people over those nearly 30 years who say that sears are over priced (even when they were $2,000) and they were sitting back waiting for the prices to come down. Almost all of those people were left back at the dock, their ship already sailed. Yes, as the economy expands and contracts over decades, sear prices have gone up and down. Trouble is, the type of guy who sits back gets greedy. They say to themselves, when the cost of a sear goes down to $X they will buy one. Either that price never comes (and in fact goes up), or when it does decline to $X, they get greedy and say they are now waiting until the price falls to $X-$2,000. If sears reach that price, then they say prices haven’t hit bottom and now they are waiting until sears hit $X-$4,000. They never pull the trigger, and before they can blink, the price has gone to $X+$5,000. Over 30 years, it’s different people with the same story.

#25 ·
Dear @caf82313 and @SudS

The thread was closed because it was a sale post. And it sold.

#30 ·
For every person who beat the market in an asset that doesn't produce cash flow there are 99 people who have failed.

Michael Jordan rookie cards, beanie babies, Foxbody mustangs, precious metals, Rolex, and even Enzo-era Ferraris in the last 8 years.

I'm in the market for a sear soon. But I think anyone getting into the game now is objectively making a dumb financial decision. That includes me.

#32 ·
I admire all you folks who got into the sear game in the small window of time in which is was born. I'm just a bit too young and missed it, always seemed to chase the rainbow but never caught it as it was growing faster than my funds could meet.
Maybe someday. For what it cost to play today, I'm money poor and wisdom wise so avoid the temptation.

#33 ·
I guess another consideration is that sear prices have certainly increased far more than wages. $1 in 1990 is a little over $2 in 2020. In 1990 I was at my first real job for 2 years making about $12/hour. At even 3x that today, there's no comparison. A $375 sear in 1990 doesn't even compare to even that 'bargain' $26k one today.

How about we just roll the clock back to before 1968?

#58 ·
can anyone tell me what happened to SEAR prices in 2007/2008 when the stock market lost half? From 12k to 6k?

If it ever happens again, what should we look for?

thx

#59 ·
I can’t recall, but I think the sear market was soft in the 2012-2014 timeframe, but the bottom didn’t fall out. Prior to 2007/2008 lots of guys were refinancing their mortgages and cashing out to buy sears. Obviously that came to an abrupt halt. I don’t recall any significant decline. Generally, as clones improved and multiplied over the years, so has demand for sears.

#69 · (Edited)
Yes... I had one of my DLOs converted by Power Shot (Gerard Miller) in 2012. I was nervous about it, but after sending him pics of the SN locations, he assured me it was no problem... And there wasn't. It worked flawlessly. Do I regret it... Nope. Would I do it again... Nope.
I had the other one converted in 2018 to Ambi only.

#77 ·
@SudS
But I do know not all LaFrance packs are the same.
Some are FA packs, some are semi.
All LaFrance packs aren't the same any more, but according to LaFrance himself they all started out the same -- semi-auto packs paired with LaFrance's own design proprietary sear. That gives you 2 conversion devices in the view of the ATF, (1) the semi-auto pack with the selector stop modified to permit travel to full-auto position and of course the (2) proprietary sear. LaFrance serialized the modified semi-auto pack, I don't believe he serialized his proprietary sears.

Some folks are of the opinion that you take one of LaFrance's packs, weld material into the lower front (like Neil Smith did -- but he did it at the time of registration so didn't end up creating 2 conversion devices) and move the sear axle. Now you can use all factory HK F/A parts. But that leaves the pesky issue of now having an extra conversion device on your hands. The folks who think this approach is okay "dispose" of the extra conversion device (the proprietary sear), and as Neo memorably suggested Dyer may have fed them to his dog. Splitting up conversion devices has been the topic of a lot of ink in the HK world given all the "registered receiver" guns out there with unserialized conversion devices attached to them.

Neo had a relationship with his local ATF officials who, according to Neo, assured him that this approach was fine. I don't think he ever claimed to have the ATF Tech Branch sign off on the approach, but since life is all about paying your money and making your choices I recognize what he did is one way to get what he wanted -- 3 ambi HK trigger packs that used all factory internals. A more conservative approach to accomplish this would be to have 3 DLO packs modified for ambi, but Neo wanted to complete his project before the current trust regulations went into effect. Also, at the time he was buying, DLO packs weren't available directly from Doug, so you would need to source 3 of them from the market and for sure that would have made for a long project timeline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.