Cleaning Damaged Knights MP5-Navy 10mm Suppressor??????
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cleaning Damaged Knights MP5-Navy 10mm Suppressor??????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cleaning Damaged Knights MP5-Navy 10mm Suppressor??????

I bought a local shooting ranges pair of MP5/40's out recently. Included were 2 KAC MP5-Navy 10mm suppressors, one is fine, the other must have came lose & continued to be fired. The damaged one, has a strike & dent from contact with a bullet at the exit. It also weighs .1 of a pound more than the good one, 700 grains. Beyond the mounting threads, the blast baffle is filled in with what I think is jacket material/lead. It is tough. Any suggestions on how to remove this build-up? We have fielded the idea of heating to remove the lead portion, chiseling to see if we can get it to "roll out" in chunks, putting it in a lathe & cutting the back off, cleaning & re-welding. I know people swear by the "dip", but I think this is just too much for it. I have not contacted Knight's but feel that since this is not their fault, they would recommend buying a can. Thanks!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you could always ask knights to see if they will service it for you.
    CGuns1 and wallew like this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Have you seen this thread before? Not the same suppressor, but perhaps it provides food for thought. @MG34_Dan might have some thoughts for you too?

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-t...uppressor.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If you go the cutting the back off route don't just have it welded back unless you are interested in preserving the factory look. Thread the thing so you can clean it more easily in the future, also do make sure you shoot TMJ bullets as the exposed lead based ones will leave some behind.

Quote Originally Posted by alnukem View Post
    I bought a local shooting ranges pair of MP5/40's out recently. Included were 2 KAC MP5-Navy 10mm suppressors, one is fine, the other must have came lose & continued to be fired. The damaged one, has a strike & dent from contact with a bullet at the exit. It also weighs .1 of a pound more than the good one, 700 grains. Beyond the mounting threads, the blast baffle is filled in with what I think is jacket material/lead. It is tough. Any suggestions on how to remove this build-up? We have fielded the idea of heating to remove the lead portion, chiseling to see if we can get it to "roll out" in chunks, putting it in a lathe & cutting the back off, cleaning & re-welding. I know people swear by the "dip", but I think this is just too much for it. I have not contacted Knight's but feel that since this is not their fault, they would recommend buying a can. Thanks!

George from Alaska

HK45T DA/SA, HK45T Light LEM, Mark 23 90's era, no lockout, P30L v3, P30L Light LEM, USP .45 Elite
    rrMP5 SEF select fire - Flemming from a 94
    IGF MP5 SBR - now a post sample
    IGF HK33 pistol - now a post sample
    RDTS MP5 pistol from a German HK parts kit - now a post sample
    RDTS MP5 SD pistol from a German HK parts kit - now a post sample
    TSC MP5K N pistol from a German SP89 - now a post sample
    bunch of suppressors
    other NFA machine guns
    07/02

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would soak it in CLR for 24 hours. Rinse it with water and shoot 1 round. Rinse it out again to remove the chunks and then get to shooting.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Call Knights and ask.
    wallew likes this.
    Support “The Collected Wisdom of Jim Schatz “G3Kurz”
    Hidden Content

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gsyoung54 View Post
    If you go the cutting the back off route don't just have it welded back unless you are interested in preserving the factory look. Thread the thing so you can clean it more easily in the future, also do make sure you shoot TMJ bullets as the exposed lead based ones will leave some behind.
    How exactly can lead build up in silencers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi guys, I dug into it a little. I used hoppes foaming bore solvent. It seems that now, it is mostly carbon, but, that's a lot of carbon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PuebloShooter View Post
    I would soak it in CLR for 24 hours. Rinse it with water and shoot 1 round. Rinse it out again to remove the chunks and then get to shooting.
    What does the CLR do?

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It’s a cleaner safe on Stainless.
    You need to call Knight’s.
    Ask for instructions on how to clean the can. Ask what to do for the baffle strike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links