PTR K3P PDW SBR - whole bunch of ?s

Thread: PTR K3P PDW SBR - whole bunch of ?s

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default PTR K3P PDW SBR - whole bunch of ?s

I'm going to SBR a new PTR K3P PDW with the 12" barrel. It will be run with and without a DA Nomad.

This will be my first PTR91 variant that I'm SBR'ing, so I'm hoping to get some answers/suggestions/thoughts from those more knowledgeable.

Regarding the fixed stock, I guess I'm just ordering from hkparts but open to suggestions on other sources to try. Which of these versions do I need?
    PTR PDW fixed stock
    Or this...
    PTR Fixed Stock Complete

Common sense, as much as I'm able to muster, tells me that I need the 1st one listed...just simply because it says PDW in the title. But, I thought that I read somewhere the 8" is the only one that needs the collapsible recoil rod and the 12" uses a normal recoil rod. ?

Is this 12" SBR going to need to have a different LP swapped out with the addition of a stock and sometimes a suppressor?

Anything else need changed/etc while I'm ordering parts? Will the enhanced buffer for a normal PTR91 work in this application? What's the latest and greatest version available now?

For those that have gone down this road, what can I expect as far as reliability when using it with and/or without the suppressor?

Thank you for any help provided!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You need the normal 91 stock/recoil rod for the K3P.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

With a 12 inch barrel you are not likely to feel the need for an enhanced buffer. If you have one already then throw it in there. If not see how you like it with a regular buffer before laying out the coin.
    If going with a regular type stock I always recommend the 21 buttpad. Best upgrade you can make.

As for stocks if you are going SBR why not look at collapsable or folding to maximize the advantage of going short?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
    You need the normal 91 stock/recoil rod for the K3P.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gulfstategaurd View Post
    With a 12 inch barrel you are not likely to feel the need for an enhanced buffer. If you have one already then throw it in there. If not see how you like it with a regular buffer before laying out the coin.
    If going with a regular type stock I always recommend the 21 buttpad. Best upgrade you can make.

As for stocks if you are going SBR why not look at collapsable or folding to maximize the advantage of going short?
    Thanks for advice on holding off on the enhanced buffer. So it won't be as beneficial as it would be in a 16"?
    As far as stock, I'm boring. The collapsible, for me, isn't nearly as comfortable to shoot even on a 9mm. I think they look great...but beyond pics, I'm not a fan.
    Thanks again.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Remember that the locking peice acts as the gas port size in a gas operated gun. Like with the 9mm K gun needs a #28 LP, adding a stock and a suppressor will tend to increase bolt function. I would be more concerned about over function than I would the buffer you need to start with. I would start with the standard rifle LP. Especially when using a suppressor, over function can damage the receiver. The higher the angle of the LP, the more energy is directed into the bolt group. If there is too much energy in the bolt group, when the carrier hits the back of the receiver, the bolt will hit the LP hard enough to drive the rollers out and hit the channel of the receiver. Over time the rollers will deform the channel that the carrier rides on. With enough damage, it will cause function problems. I would start with the full size rifle LP with the stock and the can. Then pull the can off. If the SBR doesn't short stroke, you should be good. If it does short stroke, then I would try a LP with a little more angle. I am sorry I have not messed with .308 caliber guns. A suppressed .308 with sub sonic ammo is about the same as 300 BLK OUT or subsonic 7.62x39. I prefer medium power rifle to full power rifle. Maybe someone with your configuration will come along and give more specifics. Good luck with your SBR project.

Scott

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks Scott. Good info.

Tug
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scottinthegrove View Post
    Remember that the locking peice acts as the gas port size in a gas operated gun. Like with the 9mm K gun needs a #28 LP, adding a stock and a suppressor will tend to increase bolt function. I would be more concerned about over function than I would the buffer you need to start with. I would start with the standard rifle LP. Especially when using a suppressor, over function can damage the receiver. The higher the angle of the LP, the more energy is directed into the bolt group. If there is too much energy in the bolt group, when the carrier hits the back of the receiver, the bolt will hit the LP hard enough to drive the rollers out and hit the channel of the receiver. Over time the rollers will deform the channel that the carrier rides on. With enough damage, it will cause function problems. I would start with the full size rifle LP with the stock and the can. Then pull the can off. If the SBR doesn't short stroke, you should be good. If it does short stroke, then I would try a LP with a little more angle. I am sorry I have not messed with .308 caliber guns. A suppressed .308 with sub sonic ammo is about the same as 300 BLK OUT or subsonic 7.62x39. I prefer medium power rifle to full power rifle. Maybe someone with your configuration will come along and give more specifics. Good luck with your SBR project.

Scott
    ^^^^^
    What he said.

Sponsored Links