Opinions wanted: Pros/Cons of SBR'ing my new SP5
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Opinions wanted: Pros/Cons of SBR'ing my new SP5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Opinions wanted: Pros/Cons of SBR'ing my new SP5

So I've had my new SP5 for about a month or so now and I am curious as to all of your opinions on whether or not I should SBR it. My primary reason for considering to do so is that I have the SB Tactical HK-PDW retractible brace left from my POF-5 and I immediately put it on my new HK and I cannot stand the way it feels when I am shooting it. The cheek weld is terrible, I cannot comfortably line up with the dot or with the irons and in general I am partial to the classic solid-stock MP5 look....or maybe an A3 retractable stock.

Your thoughts and opinions would be helpful for me to make a decision....

HK= NFG 4 the Wallet
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Sounds like you have already talked yourself into SBR. If you want to or plan on shooting it a lot, feel matters. And if it doesn't feel right, you will probably grab something else to shoot. The A3 looks cool but for serious shooting, I prefer the A2. As an SBR, you can always put back to pistol if crossing state lines that frown on the concept. Cons are just tax stamp cost and the NFA marking. The cost there is nothing you can do about, but the NFA marking, if placed conspicuously, one may never know its there. Also, word of advice. If you ever intend on having the weapon remarked to MP5 or N variant. This should be done PRIOR to SBR. No changing model name AFTER registered.
    Last edited by Chargerdude70; 06-14-2020 at 09:06 PM.
    AutoLode likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

If it’s just the PDW brace that’s providing the problem, swap to another brace, like the SBT5A brace or the Tommy Built UMP style brace.

One other con to the SBR route is that you’ll need to swap out a number of parts for 922r compliance, which adds more cost, and some of the parts may be hard to find, partially because the SP5 uses an ambi lower, and many of the US trigger parts and boxes are for SEF lowers.
    Do you even HK, Bro?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

SBR

After the stamp, add the markings, then do whatever you want to it after that, except making it into an MG. They don't like that anymore. Haha
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Willjoe21 View Post
    So I've had my new SP5 for about a month or so now and I am curious as to all of your opinions on whether or not I should SBR it. My primary reason for considering to do so is that I have the SB Tactical HK-PDW retractible brace left from my POF-5 and I immediately put it on my new HK and I cannot stand the way it feels when I am shooting it. The cheek weld is terrible, I cannot comfortably line up with the dot or with the irons and in general I am partial to the classic solid-stock MP5 look....or maybe an A3 retractable stock.

Your thoughts and opinions would be helpful for me to make a decision....
    SBR it

Its only 200 bucks and a couple weeks, vs d!cking around with multiple expensive braces.

the A2 stock is the best stock if you want to shoot accurately/fast. Hell I'm modding a clubfoot to put on my mp5 because they are even better. I took off all my retractable stocks so the kids can shoot with them.

HK= NFG 4 the Wallet
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    SBR

After the stamp, add the markings, then do whatever you want to it after that, except making it into an MG. They don't like that anymore. Haha
    You may want to read this if you ever intend on remarking AFTER you SBR. Just saying...
    AutoLode likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerdude70 View Post
    You may want to read this if you ever intend on remarking AFTER you SBR. Just saying...
    I was referring to the trust/individual name and city and state markings.

The ATF makes things up as they go, which has been observed time and time again, the serial number and the firearm not being a machine gun are really the only items that will likely ever be of any significance if a particular SBR is called into question.

With that being said, of course going with whatever the ATF makes up on any particular day would be playing it safe, as some would say.
    Chargerdude70 and AutoLode like this.

HK= NFG 4 the Wallet
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Gotcha, I read a little more into your response. I totally get what your saying about ATF being wishy washy.
    sweersa and AutoLode like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I already have a Full-size MP5A3 clone SBR’d and a K clone SBR’d. I’m thinking I’m going to leave my SP5 as a pistol. I have a brace inbound and will give it a try for a while. If I just hate it, I’ll form 1 it and put a A2 stock on it.

The downside to SBR’ing a firearm is that it is now yours as it’s resale value just took a big hit. ($400 to transfer it to someone else).

My SP5 will probably stay pretty clean, as I have the Binary trigger in my CA94 and so the SP5 will probably not get much range time. I plan to keep it as a pistol as it is more of an investment than a blaster.
    J. Wise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Guns are lousy investments imho. Sure, you could make money with them, but a stroke of a pen could make them worthless. I’d SBR it and not look back. The SP5 (and SP89, etc.) are lousy pistols. You really do need to put a stock on them in order to have any type of reasonably accurate platform.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links