Silencerco Hybrid 46 for Mp5/sp5?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Silencerco Hybrid 46 for Mp5/sp5?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Silencerco Hybrid 46 for Mp5/sp5?

I’m considering a silencerco hybrid with the 3 lug attachment to run on my mp5 clones and sp5. Anybody have experience with one, and if so, any advice? My only concern is the hybrid has welded baffles, making it harder/impossible to clean. Do I need to go with a dedicated 9mm can? I just like the idea of the multi cal use with the hybrid.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

You really don’t need a user serviceable can for centerfire calibers like 9mm. In fact, most 9mm, 5.56, and .30 cal cans are sealed. Baffles you can clean are mostly needed just for rimfire like .22lr.

I’m sure a hybrid 46 will work on a SP5, but it will be longer and a bit heavier than a 9mm can, plus it won’t suppress quite as well due to a smaller bullet through a large hole. Plus, probably a good chance this thread will be moved due to it not really being HK specific.
    Last edited by dwillHK; 06-19-2020 at 02:46 AM.
    Do you even HK, Bro?

Premium Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i own a hybrid. and a few others.

if you can only buy one can, and assuming you shoot a couple calibers rifle + pistol, it's hard to beat the hybrid.

it's big and heavy compared to a dedicated 9mm can. the MP5 is not a platform that really wants an extra full pound hanging off the end of the barrel.

with can prices as cheap as they've been, i bought a dedicated 9mm can -- the Omega 9k. it's literally the perfect can if you are only going to use it on your SP5 / MP5.

Both the Omega and the Hybrid has some downside if you want to use it on a VP9 with regular profile iron sights -- but get suppressor height sights or use it with a new VP9 with red dot and you'll be happy. But both cans are thick enough that they will block regular sights completely -- it's ok if you're just plinking and don't mind just aiming down the gun to hit a general area I guess... but just note with anything that wide you're going to have to get tall sights or red dot it up.

https://silencerco.com/omega-k

TOTAL LENGTH 4.70"
    WEIGHT 7.2 oz
    DIAMETER 1.48"

vs. the Hybrid:

TOTAL LENGTH 7.80"
    WEIGHT 17.3 oz
    DIAMETER 1.57"

(I recently moved out of 9mm and sold my SP5 and Omega 9k, but still. From silencerco i have the hybrid, a specwar 556, specwar 762, octane 45, and sparrow 22. and then a thunderbeast ultra 338)

i got the hybrid because i like having a second can that fits anything in my collection and mostly so that if i bring someone shooting casually it's easy to bring just the hybrid instead of multiple rifle cans. if we're shooting 45 i can have octane on the HK45T and the hybrid on the UMP... and then the hybrid can bounce from the PTR to an AR15 back to the UMP if needed... etc.
    Last edited by Performify; 06-19-2020 at 03:42 AM.
    - UMP SBR .45
    - PTR-91 J.L.D.
    - HK45T OD Green
    - HK45 x2 - OD Green, Black
    - HK45CT
    - HK45C Tan
    - G36 22LR (Walther)
    - MP5 A5 22LR (Walther)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh and if you want to deep clean your can, regardless of sealed baffles, just get a sonic cleaner that's sized appropriately -- throw the can in a simple green bath and you will have a shiny clean can.

Premium Professional

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I bought a Hybrid to use on my UMP with three lug mount. I find it to be quite a bit more gassy than my Obsidian 45. I think the hybrid will end up on some different rifles. My Octane 9 for my scorpion 3 lug setup just got approved, but I haven’t even picked it up to try out yet.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I'm not a big believer in multi-cal cans. Although it does seem appealing, I would rather have a can that is great for a single application rather than a can that is alright for multiple applications. I prefer to prioritize sound reduction and durability over weight and size. For that reason, I chose to go with the GSL Phoenix as my dedicated 3-lug 9mm can. It's big, heavy, and girthy but I don't believe there is a quieter can out there with also the durability of being F/A rated. I'm currently waiting on a Dead Air Sandman L, CGS Group Helios QD, CGS Group Hydra SS, and GSL Phoenix to be released from NFA jail. The one thing they all have in common is that they are F/A rated without barrel length restrictions and what appears to me to be the quietest options for the applications I plan on using them for. I could be wrong as I have not shot these cans in person and just based my assumptions off of researching online and listening in to various sound tests.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psifer View Post
    I'm not a big believer in multi-cal cans.
    This. Great idea, never great in practice.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I respectfully disagree. I have used my Hybrid can on my .300 Blackout, my .308 Winchester, and my .223. It’s good on all of them. If I had it first I would not have bought my Raptor for my MP5. Stamp collecting can be an expensive hobby; save money.
    "Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends."

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I disagree. Centerfire pistol absolute must to have user serviceable
    Last edited by TheColtCollector; 06-27-2020 at 12:56 AM.
    Qualified HK Sear
    BPP23E-K
    PCS 52
    PCS mp5k
    Omega SD-K
    Omega mp5
    Black Ops Defense mp5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I bought the hybrid thinking the same thing, I could use it on multi calibers. It is a pain in the butt to change the pistons. It is also heavier than my ghost that I've been using on my pistols (all of them are 13x1L) so don't have to change pistons.

The hybrid has been relegated to my AR10 or my M16. I can tell you for a fact that it's a tough can. Unfortunately I burnt a bit of the finish off mine during the last range visits as you can see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Trump2020 View Post
    I’m considering a silencerco hybrid with the 3 lug attachment to run on my mp5 clones and sp5. Anybody have experience with one, and if so, any advice? My only concern is the hybrid has welded baffles, making it harder/impossible to clean. Do I need to go with a dedicated 9mm can? I just like the idea of the multi cal use with the hybrid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silencerco Hybrid 46 for Mp5/sp5?-20191124_213837_1593441727146.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links