Worn out
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TaylorWSO

Thread: Worn out

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Worn out

My dam nylon guide ring broke off of the recoil rod while shootin' the HK mg. Time for a new pair. So I'm looking around for a few replacement rings and lots of nylon rings, buuuut why did the not make these rings out of steel? Are there steel rings around?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

Hmm. Good question. Tagging for interest.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

CETMEs use steel for that part.

Probably needs lube, whereas the Delrin should slide a lot before needing repair.

Conelrad
    We all come here to drink from the fountain of madness.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

HK11 https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/H...W-219p5859.htm

But may not be compatible with your carrier.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

It could be a designed limitation of that part, so as to not wear out a more expensive, or more critical part. I forget the correct terminology, but in engineering and manufacturing sub components may be made with a weaker material than their primary assembly as a deliberate "wear part" Sort of like piston rings being weaker than the gas block, because piston rings are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than a gas block.

Perhaps HK didn't go with a harder material like steel, because it would cause premature wear on a more expensive component.

Just throwing it out there.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Which platform for?

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

HK 93 op rod guide was damaged. Just came across 3 nylon rings in my parts bin...

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The Original/Early G3 guide rings were steel. As others suggest the plastic ones work better and do not wear other parts (like the recoil rod.) I have not looked in a while but Robert used to carry the early ones. I have an early build project with one on the early backplate but for your purposes I would stick with the modern rings.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    Perhaps HK didn't go with a harder material like steel, because it would cause premature wear on a more expensive component.
    They were steel then upgraded to nylon. The 21/23e have steel inserts and they don't wear the rods any faster but they are larger than the smaller rings.

Quote Originally Posted by har1340 View Post
    My dam nylon guide ring broke off of the recoil rod while shootin' the HK mg. Time for a new pair. So I'm looking around for a few replacement rings and lots of nylon rings, buuuut why did the not make these rings out of steel? Are there steel rings around?
    there has never been a answer given on this board AFAIK.

I would put money on the thin steel rings breaking with the cumulative stress a lot earlier than the nylons. A broken piece of steel inside a carrier between the spring/rod could be a b!tch to fix. The nylons last a long time, and only break/wear out on old guns or MGs with high round counts. I replaced my 94s with derlin, well see how long they last.
    sweersa likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It is my understanding that in both 5.56X45 and pistol calibers there is a ring inside the back of the spring guide that holds the bolt carrier to the recoil spring assembly. So pulling the end of the recoil spring assembly will pull the whole bolt group out of the receiver (as long as the bolt locking lever is not locked into the bolt in 5.56X45 bolt groups). After the bolt group is removed, with the recoil assembly still pulled the end of the spring guide, the nylon spring bushing has enough give to pop out. A steel bushing would not have enough give to install or be removed. There is no front or back to the recoil assembly so it can be installed either way.

Scott

Sponsored Links