WTS: G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: WTS: G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default WTS: G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)

Cross posted time stamp rules
    There' probably more info here than what's needed for a WTS listing but some might find it interesting.

Listing has been updated and photos edited to show the current batch. I've kept the link to the old photos at the bottom to show the differences from when I started to where these are at now.

New made plastic (resin) butt plates for G3 wood stocks.

I decided to make a silicone mold to reproduce a couple of plastic butt plates for the G3 wood stocks that I have. I'm not fond of the rubber butt pad that is available and prefer the original appearance.

....so!
    I made a mold (left) and did some research about a two part liquid resin that will harden to a shore D-65. Shore D-65 is in between a roller skate wheel (D-50) and a hard hat (D-80).
    My first ill attempts (middle) ended up in having to remake the mold to vent more air. The resin starts to set within 2 minutes from the time both parts are mixed. Basically it's mix for 1 minute and get it poured within the next minute.
    The first few weren't a total loss and will be frank and say they did have some cosmetic issues. Compared to a couple of my old battered butt plates they don't look to bad.
    I will also be trying a different resin that seems to cure a little faster. These are black in color for now but have plans to possibly do a darker charcoal grey as an option. The other mix I'm waiting on naturally dries white and can be pigmented along the grey scale....still experimenting with this. (right)
    WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-1.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-2.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-3.jpg

What to expect:
    The first mold I used was made from one of the best butt plates I have. (left)
    UPDATE - I have since made a new silicone mold using an NOS butt plate that was pressurized during the cure to virtually eliminate any bubbles that would affect the cast resin.
    The resin is also pressurized during the casting to help further reduce trapped air in the final piece. (right)
    WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-4a.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-dscf0340-large-.jpg

*There will be casting imperfections and color variations as these are poured on a kitchen table not injection molded in a state of the art facility.
    I've taken an array of photos showing some of these details. Obviously a macro photo will show every flaw but this may be of interest for those who have missing or severely damaged ones, like a few of mine.
    WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-4.jpg

I was contacted about seeing if I could do an OD green. After a few attempts of trying to achieve consistent coloring I have not been able to narrow it down. With the amount of resin used casting one piece at a time the coloring pigment, even off by the slightest amount, will take on a completely different hue. The OD color is not anywhere near the HK or FMP green nor was it meant to be so please refrain from thinking it will match, it doesn't.
    One of the other colors that came about in the mix (pun intended), was a Grey/Green color which looks remarkable well with the HK Grey/Green parkerize.

Due to inconsistencies in coloring I can only separate them into categories as no two are exactly alike.
    Black, tones may vary
    Dark Grey, tones vary
    Grey/Green, anything greyer and greener than black.
    OD, anything lighter than the Grey/Green.
    NOTE: The OD color is left over from my attempts and I'll be concentrating more on the Black, Dark Grey and Grey/Green.
    Again, the OD color does not match HK or FMP green. As we've seen often times it's hard to match even the factory pieces.

1- $17 shipped lower 48
    2+ $14 ea. shipped lower 48
    AK an HI will ship in a flat rate + $3 added to total.
    Discreet PayPal, USPS money order, cash.

Below are some detailed pics and quantities that I currently have available. Thanks for looking!
    Post an "I'll take it" and follow up PM with your info is appreciated.
    6 Black
    6 Dark Grey
    3 Grey/Green

I will not be hand selecting, what's pulled out of the box will ship. The listing will show the quantity that I currently have available, I'll do my best to keep this updated.

New photos of current batch
    Imgur link

WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-1.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-2.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-3.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-4.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-5.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-6.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-7.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-8.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-9.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-10.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-11.jpg

Dark Grey added
    WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-12.jpg WTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-13.jpgWTS:  G3 wood stock resin butt plates (not HK)-14.jpg

Old photos
    Imgur link
    Last edited by 21HK; 05-29-2020 at 01:57 AM.

I Bleed Urban Gray
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)

In for 4 - Pm sent

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch till you're ready to bring the hate

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Four please, too!

PM sent.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'll take the last 2 if you still have them

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

nicely done 21HK!!! post when/if you make more......
    21HK likes this.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

What ^^^^ said. Very nicely done!!!! I'd put you up against HK any day.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Those look very good! I made some by the same method a few years ago. PM me some time if you'd like to compare notes on casting tricks and material sources.
    scottz63 likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

The two I got from you the outside looks great the inside you can't see the little flaws when it's on the stock...
    I will be getting more..
    Thx
    Last edited by fasth2; 05-06-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    21HK likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Mine arrived and look FANTASTIC!!!

I really can't believe that you can do this at home they look "factory".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would like 1 if still available, pm inbound
    Recreational HK Collector

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links