Early vs. Late style P7 Drop Safety Parts

Thread: Early vs. Late style P7 Drop Safety Parts

Requiescat in Pace
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Default P7 Drop Safety Parts

[QUOTE=coto20;831139]
    Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz View Post

G3Kurz, I picked up on the comment above on a "NEW" style drop saftey parts. I have two of the T25 CDNN PSPs and an M8. I am going to send one for refinishing and also to Springfield for his work. Are the new parts an advised change? What issue did they correct? Was the change made before after a specific date code?

Thanks for any updates on this topic!
    Coto20
    In the 1980's a German police officer accidentally dropped a loaded P7 (PSP) down a stairwell. To everyone's surprise the round discharged! It was found that is was possible for the impact on exactly the right angle for the sear lever to be depressed against its spring pulling and at the same time compressing and releasing the firing pin with sufficient energy to fire a chambered round. Try to replicate this and you never will. But because it happened once HK made changes to 5 or 8 parts depending on model and when it was produced. The new-style parts came out in the late 1980's in all new P7's. HK automatically replaced old-style parts with new-style parts on any customer’s gun who asked for them, LE agencies, and commercial customers. For many years if a P7 was sent in for any repair and it had old-style parts they were immediately exchanged with new-style parts and no charge. My guess is this is still the same, or will be as long as parts last. As most of the new-style parts are not interchangeable with old-style parts all parts have to be exchanged together. It was an expensive retrofit but a commitment to customer safety. The parts affected include the sear lever, sear lever spring, cocking lever, cocking lever spring, firing pin, drop safety catch, drop safety catch spring. The easiest way to tell old from new is to look at the top end of the sear lever that protrudes from the frame when the slide is removed. The sear lever is the piece that moves rearward when the cocking lever is depressed. New-style sear levers have a pronounced front to rear upward angle that was not on the old-style parts.

I have a photo of a good instructional chart I compiled originally that explains all this. UPDATE: TXH2008 offered to post this photo for me and some descriptive text. Thanks T!
    G3Kurz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Compliments of G3Kurz

The P7 Drop Safety Parts "Packages" are broken down into those of the P7 (PSP) (TOP) and those for the P7M8/P7M13 (BOTTOM). The Old-style parts are on the Left side, the New-style parts on the Right. There were 8 parts changed in the P7 (PSP) and 5 parts changed in the newer P7M8/M13 (the other 3 were already in the P7M8/M13). The affected areas on the New-style parts are highlighted with green paint pen. The easiest to identify in an assembled pistol are those on the Sear Bar (steeper top angle) and especially the Cocking Lever (small retangular protrusion just below the top outside corner). A few of the descriptions vary from other HK lists (Firing Pin Block is the Drop Safety Catch, Seal Bar is the Sear Lever, Squeeze Cocker is the Cocking Lever, etc.). Serial number ranges are not always valuable in determining which P7's have which parts as many were updated after shipment from the factory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just bought a P7PSP, one of the "Lower Saxony" Police guns, and as I understand it, all of these were sent to HK, reconditioned and checked over as needed, and then graded for cosmetic condition. Is it safe to assume that the "Drop Safety" update was performed, or at least checked to see if it had been previously updated?

Quote Originally Posted by THX2008 View Post
    The P7 Drop Safety Parts "Packages" are broken down into those of the P7 (PSP) (TOP) and those for the P7M8/P7M13 (BOTTOM). The Old-style parts are on the Left side, the New-style parts on the Right. There were 8 parts changed in the P7 (PSP) and 5 parts changed in the newer P7M8/M13 (the other 3 were already in the P7M8/M13). The affected areas on the New-style parts are highlighted with green paint pen. The easiest to identify in an assembled pistol are those on the Sear Bar (steeper top angle) and especially the Cocking Lever (small retangular protrusion just below the top outside corner). A few of the descriptions vary from other HK lists (Firing Pin Block is the Drop Safety Catch, Seal Bar is the Sear Lever, Squeeze Cocker is the Cocking Lever, etc.). Serial number ranges are not always valuable in determining which P7's have which parts as many were updated after shipment from the factory.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Requiescat in Pace
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

You do know about the word ASS U ME right?
    One can hope changes (Hope and change? Remember that unkept promise?) were made in all German police pistols resold as used such as your LS P7. I would say ther chances are 98% or better. To be sure check out the top exposed end of the sear bar (steeper top angle) with the slide off or the protrusion highlighted in green on the right side of the squeeze cocker (see chart). If your gun has either or both of these, you should be good to go.

G3Kurz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thx2008 that is a sweet chart- did you make it yourself? Im sure that took a lot of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HK gave me the drop safety upgrade on an 84 Chantilly P7M8. The invoice lists a switchout of the sear, drop safety catch and spring, and the trigger. However, it seems that they didn't switch the firing pin. What change(s) were made to the firing pin? I can't see from the photo. Is it normal to not include that in the upgrade?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anybody have a higher resolution pic of this chart? Please share. It is impossible to see any of the actual parts in detail along with their updated areas marked by the green pen.

Many thanks!

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P7NUTT View Post
    Anybody have a higher resolution pic of this chart? Please share. It is impossible to see any of the actual parts in detail along with their updated areas marked by the green pen.

Many thanks!
    You won't have much luck seeing that level of detail from that chart. It comes down to angles. For example, the change on the interface angle for the sear bar, necessitated another for the firing pin. Better interface on the drop safety required additional surface area. The change of the sear spring necessitated a change in the design of the cocking lever to capture it.
    I looked back through my posts to see if I had done a detailed look at the changes in internal parts, but did not find a complete write up. This one at least shows the difference in the drop safety, or at least two examples. There are actually three versions:

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/teufelsh...k-tonight.html

If I dedicate the time, I can sort through my parts and put together come close up photos.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

When you have the time, that would be great! Thanks James!

Sponsored Links