Retractable Butt Stock Take Down & Assembly

Thread: Retractable Butt Stock Take Down & Assembly

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)

Default Retractable Butt Stock Take Down & Assembly

From www.mg-42.net:

How to disassemble the retractable stock.
    Place the butt stock between your knees with the recoil spring assy pointing away from you, and push the circlip off using two screwdrivers if it is the "C"-type circlip (6). If it is a snap ring you simply use the snap ring pliers. In stead of placing it between your knees you could place the stock in a vice but I don't recommend this as it would be easy to damage the stock.

After removing the circlip (6) remove the locking ring with spring (5) and the clamping lever (4).

Remove the protective cover (3) from the back plate (1) by pressing the tabs in with a pair of pliers and pulling the cover off.

Now you can slide the butt stock (7) with the protective cover (3) and the gripping lever (2) off from the back plate (1).

Removing the gripping lever from the guide rails might be a little tricky, place the gripping lever in the guide rail locking recesses used to lock the stock in the extended position. Then wiggle it a little while carefully bending the guide rails very slightly apart, and the gripping lever should slide off.

How to assemble the retractable stock.
    Slide protective cover (3) onto butt stock (7).

Insert gripping lever (2) in the recesses and push butt stock to half length into the back plate (1).

Press the protective cover (3) into the back plate (1).

Attach clamping lever (4) to the buffer housing so that the two lugs engage properly in the gripping lever (2).

Insert locking ring with spring (5) so that the end of the tension spring engages in the bore of the locking ring (5).

Insert circlip (6) or snap ring(6).
    Done!

Pre-tensioning the spring in the clamping lever.

Retract butt stock all the way up to stop.

Swivel clamping lever to the left.

Swivel back clamping lever all the way to the stop.

Press ratchet into the notch of the locking ring and swivel back clamping lever.

Repeat this process until the clamping lever is under spring tension.

Locking ring with spring (5), detailed view.

*Please note that there are some types of stock that might disassemble in a slightly different way, but I think the basic principle is the same. Examples are the HK33/93/94/MP5 stock. I haven't tried to disassemble any of these yet.

If you assemble your retractable butt stock incorrectly it might collapse on you while shooting, causing severe injury.
    If you choose to proceed, you do this on your own risk, and if you somehow manages to break or otherwise ruin your stock, well that is your problem. If you are not 100% sure that you can manage to do this, don't do it, or pay someone competent to do it for you.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightgrain View Post
    The problem with most of these collapsing butt stocks is this spring on the right. I had to increase the bend at the end that contacts the center core of the buffer tube. Once I did that, it was merely a matter of following the final adjustment procedure to set the tension and I had a stock that functioned again.

And better yet, all I had to do (in hindsight) was remove the circlip and take off the locking ring to bend the tab on "spring A" a bit. I really didn't need to bust it down as far as I did.

Thanks to Straightgrain for prettying up that link and posting it.
    Last edited by Shattered Mind; 01-15-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    45acp... turning human garbage into useful fertilizer since 1911

Auf gebeginning to fixin der gun mit grosse busen of der schpritzin lubrication allen over derfukin platz, mit das squirtin and squeezin oil in allen fukinholes.
    Ja, und racken und strokin das bolt as if gecrazygoing, yanken dat handle bak und forth, zwei hunnert times, ja?
    Ist neue, und its needing some brekkin in.
    Zo, BREKKIN ZEFUKIN THING IN!

Certified MM leghumper...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm currently trying to replace the buffer and I'm having a problem with:

"After removing the circlip (6) remove the locking ring with spring (5) and the clamping lever (4)."

It's not like the thing just pulls off. How does this part actually come off?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I got that figured out, but how do I actually get this rubber buffer in there? The end seems too big for the hole. Do I just jam it down in?

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I need that spring. Where can I get one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered Mind View Post
    The problem with most of these collapsing butt stocks is this spring on the right. I had to increase the bend at the end that contacts the center core of the buffer tube. Once I did that, it was merely a matter of following the final adjustment procedure to set the tension and I had a stock that functioned again.

And better yet, all I had to do (in hindsight) was remove the circlip and take off the locking ring to bend the tab on "spring A" a bit. I really didn't need to bust it down as far as I did.

Thanks to Straightgrain for prettying up that link and posting it.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Javier View Post
    I need that spring. Where can I get one?
    You know, someone used to sell a rebuild kit for these stocks that included both springs but I can't find it and I checked both Numrich and Apex. This is the best I could find:
    HK MP5 A3 Stock Locking Lever

I would call first to be sure that that is the "Spring A" in there, I'm pretty sure it is.

You could also scalp one from a crappy wobbly POF HK93 stock.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Thanks for the help! I think AA oklahoma used to sell them but I think they sold their HK stock to HKPARTS. Spring "A" is exactly what I need. I bought one recently inside a locking ring that had both bent ends broken off. My last wobbly POF A3 stock was sold some years ago. Now if I can find a cheap POF A3 stock for parts I would buy it. Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Sorry for bump up this old thread.

I have a 93 A3 stock missing buffer spring and buffer piston nipple. How to remove back end of the buffer housing so I can install the spring and nipple. See photos. Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Photos of buffer spring and buffer piston nipple.

Sponsored Links