HKPRO Forums banner

How to convert a V3 (DA/SA) P30/P30S/P30L/P30LS to a V1 or V2 LEM

90K views 84 replies 29 participants last post by  R65 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
CAUTION: HK pistol designs represent an optimization of a combination of safety, speed of deployment, accuracy, dependability, and durability. Do not attempt to make an HK pistol “better” by altering any of its components. Altering any part of the pistol or magazine may cause injury or death and will also void any HK warranty on the product.

See attachment for PDF instructions.

Attachments

#6 ·
Question:
do these two parts have to be purchased?
• Elbow Spring for Hammer - aka Cocking Piece Spring 209275
• Control Lever - aka Control Latch 209274

According to my research, the Control Latch part number is for a P2000, and the one explicitly listed for the P30 looks identical. Is it actually different or can I reuse the one that's already in the firearm?
Same for the Cocking Piece Spring... the part number appears to be the same for all P30 variants.

Are these two being recommended for replacement due to wear? Thanks.

#7 · (Edited)
You will need the Control Latch (209274) as well as the rest of the LEM parts. The LEM Control Latch and V3 Control Latch are a little different. Don't go by the diagram in your P-Series Operator's Manual. That diagram depicts the LEM version and not the V3 (DA/SA) version. In other words, your V3 does not already come with the Cocking Piece and Cocking Piece Spring.

#8 ·
Got it, thank you.

Then the only piece I don't need to replace/order is the sear, since I'm planning on setting it up as a V0.
Well, that and the FPBS, since I already did that a couple months back.

#10 ·
So you're saying I could drop getting the bobbed hammer from the parts list? Is the spurred hammer compatible with the new cocking piece? I'm assuming that's still needed.

#15 · (Edited)
Great thread, thank you for posting this helpful information. I just signed up after lurking and learning here for a long time, and thought I would share my notes on this conversion after completing it yesterday and function testing it today.

I did some digging around, and happily this appears to not be the case any longer. I think I might have just created the first true V0 configuration 9mm P30 in the United States over the weekend, with the LEM spur hammer.

I will post pictures showing the different hammers later tonight (DA/SA V3 hammer, bobbed LEM hammer 209321, and spurred LEM hammer 209262), but basically the appropriate spurred LEM hammer is indeed available from both HK-USA as well as hkparts.net (I actually bought one each from both last week).

Everything went smoothly on my conversion. The only issues I had were that I had a slightly difficult time getting the hammer axle out (I did not push the trigger bar down enough at first), and the same hammer axle took some strategic coaxing to get back in when putting everything back together (the punch helped get it through all the various hammer/disconnector/sear parts, but it took some pressing on various parts at the correct angle to get that axle precisely aligned with the far side frame hole such that it would go in).

Getting the elbow spring leg onto the sear while using the V3 sear with that decocker arm was also a little tricky, as well (the decocker arm fights your dental pick for space unless you can figure out a way to hold your dental pick vertically), but I think I could do it a lot faster if I had to do it again, having learned from the experience. A third arm/hand would have helped, though.

When I did this conversion, I wanted the spurred hammer so that I could have a pistol that was in a factory-sanctioned configuration, to eliminate the potential for some uppity prosecutor to accuse me of anything if I am ever in the unenviable position where I would have used this pistol in self defense (it is my primary pistol, so this is a possibility). I also wanted to keep the decocker, so that the pistol would give me extra options by being something of a hybrid LEM-DA/SA pistol where I could carry it like a normal LEM when carrying on my hip, or decock it for an extra measure of safety during AIWB carry. I suspect the hammer spur affords a measure of protection to the decocker button from being depressed inadvertently.

I took it to the range today and put about 120 round down the pipe with zero issues. This pistol already had about 1500 rounds down the pipe with zero issues in its original V3 configuration. It appears to be just as reliable in the V0 configuration, so far.

I do think I will install the heavier trigger return spring that I ordered from HK-USA, along with the light FPBS and possibly the heavy hammer spring. Overall I am happy with the conversion, it did what I wanted it to do (remove the requirement for me to decock the pistol for any reason). About the only result I did not expect was that the decocking would feel a little different. I am not yet sure if it feels different just because the hammer no longer falls during the decock, or if the effort required or accompanying feel to push the decocking button is actually different.

Comparative pictures to follow this evening in a new thread.

#13 · (Edited)
Hi Too-Sixty

This is a great write up. I'm looking at getting a P30LS. I've only shot a V3 since no one has a V1 at the ranges I've been too. It seems like the V3 version of the gun may be the better version to get since it allows one to convert to a V1 (or V2) trigger pull. How does the decocker work with the V1 hammer?

#16 · (Edited)
The part 209262 that you referenced is the V3 spurred hammer in the P2000/SK series. I am aware of the V3 spurred hammer in the P2000/SK but was not aware that it and the LEM hammer had the same shape (which allows it to be used with the LEM cocking piece + spring).

The reason that the decocker feels a little different because it does not decock the hammer as in a factory DA/SA gun but rather releases the tension on the hammer spring.

Good detective work. Thanks for sharing.

#21 ·
This short guide will show you how to convert a P30/P30S/P30L/P30LS from V3 (DA/SA) to Light LEM (V1) or Heavy LEM (V2). Though not officially supported by H&K (and will void your warranty), it's an easy conversion that you can do yourself with a few parts and tools.

LEM parts you will need
• Release Catch - aka LEM Sear 209320
• Cocking Piece 209265
• Elbow Spring for Hammer - aka Cocking Piece Spring 209275
• LEM Bobbed Hammer 209321
• Heavy LEM Hammer Spring 214695
So I am considering doing this to my P30L V3. Maybe my internet-fu is way off, but I can't seem to find these parts anywhere. Are they available in the US, or maybe back-ordered until the next millennium?

#22 ·
Yeah, your Internet-fu is really weak. :biggrin:

With the exception of the LEM hammer, look what I've found. I would try calling HKCS and ordering the parts from them. The secret handshake is that you don't tell them you're buying the parts to convert from DA/SA --> LEM.

#23 ·
Thanks, TooSixy. I was on HKParts.net, too... searching by the part numbers. But they're not the same as the ones that were posted... which is where I was getting confused. The install seems to be similar to the USP.

So why doesn't HK support this conversion, though they do for the USP? Does it have something to do with the placement of the decocking tab?

#28 ·
Hi folks,

I'm looking to order the parts to try this conversion on my P30 V3, with decocker. I'm looking to keep the decocker, as well as go with a spurred hammer (v0 config, basically). The only thing that is confusing from the guide (the guide is absolutely awesome, so I'm sure this confusion is on my part), is whether or not I need the Control Lever?

From what I've read and understood, if I'm going for a Light LEM and keeping the Decocker on my P30V3, then I only need these parts:

LEM Hammer (209262), SKU: HKP16540
Cocking piece (209265), SKU: HKPP30043
LEM Elbow spring (209275), SKU: HKNGHK2498
Heavy LEM Hammer spring(214695), SKU: HKPUSP9076

Does this sound like I'm understanding this correctly, or do I need the Control Lever as well? The Control Lever isn't listed in the "LEM parts you will need" and is listed as re-used, but mentioned as "necessary" in the comments. Hence the confusion on my part. :)

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!