How to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines

Poll: Of the two LEO mags presented, which is HK authentic?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Default How to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines

I don't believe there is a thread on this topic yet, so I'll take the responsibility of updating this OP (original post) with the correct references and criteria for authenticating HK LEO magazines.

Here are some LEO mags that I have recently purchased from two different sources, yet both batches are quite different. The oiled mags have the date code (ID) and a faded and clearly different style font than that of the un-oiled mags without any date code that have the crisper font. Which is HK authentic? Both? Neither? (click picture again to view full screen in high resolution)
    How to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines-leo.jpgHow to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines-leo2.jpgHow to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines-leo3.jpgHow to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines-leo5.jpgHow to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines-leo4.jpgHow to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines-leo6.jpg

*Fake* (unofficial, non-HK, & not part of the poll) This is a sample of a Korean marked magazine (owner says that he acquired them from Knob Creek):
    How to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines-pix492346150.jpg

To get things started, lineback911 enlightened me with the following by PMs:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "Most" of the fake LE mags I have seen say 9x19 MP5 on the bottom, see above auction on gunbroker where you can see the markings

People back in the day wanted guys from HK PRO to scan there MP5 mags so they could have the LE markings and I guess somebody (I dont know who) did and now these things are out there....I bet tons of guys got screwed and just dont know it

If you have other LE mags to compare to when it arrives, note the color difference. Also note there is a some type of MP5 marking on bottom of the mag. I can find you Korean mags that have exact same markings (which are $10-12.00 mags)

I first noticed these mags at Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot for a good price. $60.00 brand new, and guy said I have PLENTY. Right there I knew to look at them harder. I went several booths down and found brand new Korean mags for around $10.00 with same markings and "Grayish/Black" color. I almost bought all he had and I'm so thankful that I didnt

I have many LE mags and just know what to look for.

Now some le mags are not date coded. There were several years where they were blank down there

HK is weird, they used to date code everything but with most leo mags I have they are not

As far as I know there is NOT a thread on this, but there sure should be. Just so you know I have NEVER seen a fake mag for sale on HK PRO. Just a few gun shows and gunbroker, but if somebody doesnt know I guarantee they will buy a fake, especially when there a cheap price.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Neo-Geo; 06-05-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content . Hidden Content 7/14/2016.
    Check cleared 7/18/2016. Approved 6/16/2017. Stamps delivered 7/6/2017.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I think they are both legit, just made at different times. I believe the oiled one is older. Also to back that one up, HK was still using the same font as on the un-oiled mag after the '94 ban ended to print 'MADE IN GERMANY'. I own both styles as well.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)

Thanks for the tutorial!!!
    Makes sense that an "id" (1998) magazine would be LEO-marked.

Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the le marked mag says "9x19 MP5" near the bottom of the mag, and are a grayish/black color put your wallet away!

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

So they are both (in the photos) fake?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

The poll results overwhelmingly point to the 'pair' both being authentic. The lone pic shows the fake, which is also the only known fake for the MP5 LEO, which is this one:

Essentially, you're looking for a dark gray mag instead of black, no ID code (though some legit LEOs will be without a date code, all of the fake LEOs are without date code), and the specific font style shown here in this lone pic. Beware of those, they are remarked Korean mags.
    Last edited by Neo-Geo; 02-12-2016 at 08:08 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

LEO Mags also came without Date Codes. I acquired most of these mags back in 2002-06 timeframe (perhaps earlier), so I doubt anyone was 'cloning' LEO markings back then. If someone has mastered this 'art', you'd probably see that person selling these mags on GunBroker with a seemingly limitless supply; that would throw up a flag in my opinion. I believe I've seen a few LEO mags that are marked with a different city other than 'Sterling VA' with a slightly different size font; has anyone else seen these?

How to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines-img_2375.jpg How to authenticate HK MP5 LEO magazines-img_2367.jpg

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neo-Geo View Post
    The poll results overwhelmingly point to the 'pair' both being authentic. The lone pic shows the fake, which is also the only known fake for the MP5 LEO, which is this one:

Essentially, you're looking for a dark gray mag instead of black, no ID code, and the specific font style shown here in this lone pic. Beware of those, they are remarked Korean mags.
    You can kind of tell by the finish!!!

Tony

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

So if the seller is still at Knob Creek next time, and pimping the fake mags, how about you walk the local Sheriff and show management over to the seller and introduce them all?

Counterfeit is a more appropriate word - not just "fake". Same as selling counterfeit sports jerseys, money, or anything else. Illegal, done to deceive, and costing some folks their hard earned dollars.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Real good information! Thanks!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links