Here is the SFP9 Data Sheet with VP9 for contrast:
VP9 ≠ SFP9 ... well mostly.
For all practical purposes the VP9 (VolksPistole 9mm) and SFP9 (Striker Fire Pistol 9mm) are equivalent pistol models. However there are some differences. The notable ones are listed below. The SFP9 is the model name throughout Europe and also Canada. Not sure about other regions - HK's literature just says "outside the US". The slides of the VP9 are so marked, while the SFP9 is marked with that model name. The same holds true for the grips of both models. Both models also come in .40 S&W caliber but this discussion will highlight the 9mm versions (largely because detailed literature on SFP40 is sparse).
- The SFP is actually slightly lighter (by 43 grams) than the VP9 as the VP was designed for slightly hotter ammo. Specifically, VP9 is certified with 3.1 Impulse ammunition and SFP9 is certified with 2.6 Impulse, CIP, NATO & TR ammunition. Both models are approved for SAAMI ammunition pressures, but the SFP is not rated for +P or +P+ ammo. VP9 = 753g / 26.56 oz SFP9 = 710g / 25.04 oz (both with empty magazine)
- Published data suggests the VP9 is 0.5mm longer and wider, but this could be a matter of how precise they chose to make the publicly available data.
- The SFP9 is available with push button mag release and also with ambi safety. As of August 2018, the VP9 is not available with these features.
- The cosmetic design of the "ears" on the slide (formally called the charging supports) is also slightly different between models. The VP9 charging supports are simplistic and rounded while the SFP9's supports are stair-stepped. That said, there are plenty of examples of the SFP9 (NIB) with the "U.S. style" charging supports. Here are pics of the two styles:
MUCH BIGGER IMAGES OF THESE SAME PICS ARE POSTED BELOW
- SFP9 is available in RAL8000 (formally "Green Brown") and black, but not OD or grey like the VP9. The VP9 is not available in RAL8000, only in RAL7008 (formally "Khaki Grey"). Also, the magazine floorplate of the RAL8000 SFP is color matching whereas the VP9's mag plate is just black.
Here is a picture of the differences in color:
Left SFP9 in RAL 8000 right VP9 RAL 7008 back straps.
MUCH BIGGER IMAGE OF THIS SAME PIC IS POSTED BELOW
- The SFP9 has a few more variants than the VP9. Both come in SK variants. But the SFP9 has a 'M' variant (Maritime), an 'OR' variant (Optical Ready, HK's language), 'L' (Longslide of which there are two versions, pics below), 'SD' (schalldämpfer - suppressor). As of August 2018 these variants are not offered in the VP9 line. But we are hopeful...
If you see reference to a SFP9-SF and SFP9-TR, those refer to the trigger configuration of the SFP9 - see the next bullet for explanation.
- The SFP9 is offered in two trigger configurations: TR-Trigger (30-35 N) or "Special Forces" SF-Trigger (20-25 N). The VP9 trigger is published in only one configuration of 24 Newtons pull weight
- Unlike the VP9, the SFP9 comes with factory test target in the box
The SFP9 is not on the California Handgun Roster but it is on the Maryland Handgun Roster The SFP9 is, unfortunately, not allowed for import into the US by the BATF. So you won't be seeing the SFP9 in CA, MD or any other state...
Here is a link to the SFP9L https://www.heckler-koch.com/en/prod...-overview.html from here you can link to the other SFP9 models.
Here is the SFP9 dealer card:
Here is the SFP9 product overview:
Heckler & Koch __ Product Overview _ SFP9-SF.pdf
See below for additional info and pics
Last edited by omega21; 09-01-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: updated dates as of 1 Sept 2018
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch till you're ready to bring the hate
Here is the SFP9 Data Sheet with VP9 for contrast:
The SFP9 is available in RAL8000 (formally "Green Brown") and black.
The VP9 is available in RAL7008 (formally "Khaki Grey"), OD, "KH Grey" and black.
Here is a picture of the differences in color between a SFP9 "Green Brown" backstrap and a VP9 "Khaki Grey" backstrap courtesy of @chuckster62
Here is a picture of a "Khaki Grey" (RAL7008) VP9 and a "Green Brown" (RAL8000) HK45 Compact courtesy of @TooSixy
Last edited by omega21; 11-29-2017 at 12:48 AM.
Last edited by omega21; 11-29-2017 at 12:39 AM.
In the picture below, notice the stair-stepped charging support and the color-matched magazine floorplate.
Last edited by omega21; 11-29-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Pic of SFP9 SD - note NO "SD" or "Tactical" designation on the slide.
Here is the frame marking for the Maritime variant of the SFP9 (the anchor & trident are custom ordered factory markings)
Two versions of the Longslide model.
Here is the Optics Ready version
Here is a Longslide Optics Ready version
Here's the L version next to the SK version
Finally, the SFP40
Last edited by omega21; 09-01-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: finally adding pics
Thanks for another, excellent tutorial --- PM'ed you on the USP stainless (could piggyback on the stainless thread)--- just let me know!!!
This was interesting reading...thanks for putting it up.
Great info, I still think RAL 8000 looks a lot less like baby $hit than FDE RAL 7008.
Some updates and pics added