How to Guide for HK MR556/416 Remarking
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How to Guide for HK MR556/416 Remarking

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How to guide for remarking an HK MR556 to 416

Gone are the days of asking for help and hearing “I have a guy. But I can't say…” I have created this guide in hopes of clearing the silence and confusion surrounding remarking an MR556 or MR762. Before I start, there are many ways to go about doing this. I am merely telling you how I went about it, and some of the things I learned along the way. I will not be giving any legal advice; as the jury is still out on a few of the legal questions. I will also be anodizing my receiver in black; the process is basically the same if you wish to Cerakote or tan anodize. TSC Machine does offer a service that will do the whole process for you, however he only uses Cerakote. I’ve heard that US Anodizing will do tanodizing but they are usually not accepting new orders.

Brief Heckler & Koch 416 history
    The HK416, which was originally designated as the HKM4 until Colt filed a law suit, was born out of the success of HK's product improvement program on England's SA80 and a desire from some "special customers" within USSOCOM who were looking for a reliable M4 style CQB carbine in around the 10" barrel length. These customers, because of the high volume of shooting done prior to and during each deployment, also placed longer service life on major parts as a primary concern.
    With HK's success in utilizing the short stroke gas piston in the G36 family of rifles and the knowledge that in short barrel format, the piston operating system is superior to the direct impingement system, they set about modifying Colt M4s. These grew into the first few prototypes, which were then given to the special customers and tested here in the US and then overseas in combat operations. The result was an overwhelming success and has brought us to where we are now, the fifth version of the HK416 which was unveiled in 2012.
    Markings:

416 import marks from Germany used to be "Sterling, VA" - and now say "Ashburn, VA". The change came around “2009-2010” Attachment 238286
    Our domestic HK MR556 and MR762 are marked "Columbus, GA" How to Guide for HK MR556/416 Remarking-bb34c53b-76d5-4f6f-b4dd-5f4914951b9f_1564519189657.jpegHow to Guide for HK MR556/416 Remarking-1.jpg

Unit Use for clone builds (speculatively)
    Delta has been seen with both the 416D in FDE and the A5
    DevGru has only been seen with the 416D
    Both have been seen using the 417
    NASA SWAT has been using the 416 as well

Remarking the MR556
    1. Buy an MR556 rifle or lower receiver (lowers can be found on gunbroker from time to time)
    2. Strip down the receiver, you should be able to do most of it yourself but having a gunsmith do it may save you some time and prevent you from breaking stuff. I will provide a link on “MR556 takedown pin removal” (https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk...n-removal.html
    3. You must cover the serial number with tape — per ATF “it is illegal to tamper with original serial.” New Frontier Armory requires the original MFG name, MFG city & state and serial number to be on receiver when they receive it. The MR556 comes from the factory with that information engraved on the grip tang, so it should be covered as well
    4. Sand/Media/Bead blast the lower receiver. I read that glass bead or aluminum oxide blasting will give you the best results. When sand blasting, sand particles shatter and stick into the aluminum surface and can disrupt the durability of the coating, and also colored parts will come out awkward and greyish in color, some will not take dye at all. I had mine media blasted using aluminum oxide at a local gun manufacture. It shouldn’t be hard finding someone to do this. I also plugged some of the holes (Trigger pin holes, takedown pin holes etc.) to prevent tolerance issues.
    5. Send the receiver off for anodizing, I used New Frontier Armory. Follow the instructions given on their page. At the time of writing this article cost was $32 with a wait time of 14-21days. **Note: They only do black anodizing** https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/sh...izing-service/
    6. Once you get the receiver back, engrave it using the provided files. Again, it shouldn’t be too hard to find a place that does this. I had the same company who media blasted it also engrave it. I used matte enamel paint to re infill the selectors. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/848nx0nf1...HRaUpFfUlUUtAa
    7. Voilŕ you now have a 416

* Note, I am very happy with how mine came out. As you can probably see in the photo there is a slight divot on the left side where i got alittle over enthusiastic with my sand blasting. (it looks worse in the photo than it actually is)

Legal questions that are still unanswered:
    • Unknown whether you must form 1 before or after remarking
    • Unknown whether you use original (MR556) model name or “new” remarked model name (416) on the form

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	238288 How to Guide for HK MR556/416 Remarking-2.jpg How to Guide for HK MR556/416 Remarking-3.jpg

(Before) (After Blasting) (After Anodizing)

(How to Guide for HK MR556/416 Remarking-you_doodle_2019-07-27t18_48_49z.jpg How to Guide for HK MR556/416 Remarking-img_0265.jpg
    (Finished)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Guide for HK MR556/416 Remarking-you_doodle_2019-07-27t18_48_49z.jpg  
    Last edited by jbrams; 07-30-2019 at 08:40 PM. Reason: People complaining about the airsoft receivers

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Last edited by Lumbergh; 07-27-2019 at 08:10 PM.
    UMP45 ENTRY likes this.
    "Amat victoria curam"

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

If I could leave more than one "like", I would. Fantastic write-up!! Thanks for taking the time!
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cśur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

This should be a Sticky....
    Username likes this.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Looks great! The anodizing seems to match the factory upper very well.

Premium Professional

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

As far as the legal questions, you can mark the gun whenever you want. You just can’t build it into a SBR until it is marked and the form approved. I always have mine marked before the form 1 goes in just on the chance the ATF wants to see the markings (they never have). I submitted my remarked USC as a UMP and got it approved so I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t do the same with the MR556. Has to be someone here that has done it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

@jbrams :

In all seriousness, excellent DIY and information.

Thanks for putting it together for the community!

YMMV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where the heck have you been?.....fantastic info although why didn't you have the upper anodized too? I'd been running a thread asking for info on MR556A1 to 416 anodizing/engraving and got referred to a guy who wanted $350 plus shipping to Black anodize my MR.. lower and 416 upper. Then I was still going to have to pay the engraver. I was looking at $600 bucks after everything was done. Summer is too short so I'm going to put the project off for a while so I can to train with it for a couple months before sending it in for anodizing/engraving..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Hopefully it makes the process easier for the everyone who follows.

Quote Originally Posted by buffed View Post
    Where the heck have you been?.....fantastic info although why didn't you have the upper anodized too? I'd been running a thread asking for info on MR556A1 to 416 anodizing/engraving and got referred to a guy who wanted $350 plus shipping to Black anodize my MR.. lower and 416 upper. Then I was still going to have to pay the engraver. I was looking at $600 bucks after everything was done. Summer is too short so I'm going to put the project off for a while so I can to train with it for a couple months before sending it in for anodizing/engraving..
    I chose not to anodize the upper because i didnt want to mess with the value of a OTB 416 upper. however it turned out that Newfrontiers anodizing is very close to factory HK anodizing. Have fun with your build!!

- J

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

There should be someone who can just do all this in a 1 stop shop....disassembly, strip, anodizing, engraving, assembly, and send it back to you.
    buffed likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links