Why wasn't UMP successful in replacing MP5? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why wasn't UMP successful in replacing MP5?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really like my USC/UMP. The trigger sucks but you can do only so much with polymer. That should be designed with all steel FC parts. For practical purposes it is like comparing an AR to an AK. I do also have a .45ACP rollerlock gun and the trigger is better and due to physics of a delayed roller mech, it is more fluid but accuraccy to 100m is the same as the UMP. The recoil thing I do not get. It is not that noticeable to me even with a sear in the .45 rollerlock nothing to speak of except it is faster than a MP5. I got the UMP because of the caliber. 9mm will never be able to outperform .45 but I have no desire for a UMP in any lesser caliber. For 9mm i'll stick with the MP5.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Praetorian View Post
    I got the UMP because of the caliber. 9mm will never be able to outperform .45 but I have no desire for a UMP in any lesser caliber. For 9mm i'll stick with the MP5.
    This.

That's why I like it. It's a different animal. .45 will outperform 9 any day of the week. Plus .45 is easier to suppress. Which is going to be very important to me in the near future:-)

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yeah the recoil thing I don't get either. NO one complains of recoil in a 1911. So why in a shoulder fired carbine? It sounds more to me like operator error. No offense to anyone.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fordemti View Post
    I like my USC. That being said, I hate the ergos. My 9 year old could have done a better job on the grip. Hell, for that matter, so could my 6 year old. The recoil doesn't bother me with the proper stance. Definitely don't want to hold it real loose. I think a UMP conversion would go a long way in improving the feel of it. But I love the MP5 series. I just feel lucky that I have both. I've never been a big fan of .45. I'm a big fan of the 10mm. A 10mm UMP would be awesome!
    10mm can be done...
    Guns? Plenty.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCook View Post
    10mm can be done...
    How much of a difference is there between the .40 and the 10mm?
    I would assume you would convert it to .40 UMP and then modify the
    barrel and mags etc to work with 10mm?
    Has anyone done that yet?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

40 bolt, 40 barrel rechambered to 10mm, TN grease gun lower and grease gun mags. Works great once you get the feed lips on the grease gun mags right.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fordemti View Post
    Yeah the recoil thing I don't get either. NO one complains of recoil in a 1911. So why in a shoulder fired carbine? It sounds more to me like operator error. No offense to anyone.
    Shooting an MP5 (or clone) side-by-side with a USC to UMP conversion, you can definitely tell the difference right away. I love my UMP and don't find the recoil to be excessive, but in comparison, an MP5 is much smoother and easier to rapid fire while maintaining tight control. All the weight of the UMP is in it's bolt, so it jumps around a whole lot more.

This is my experience rapid firing both, I'm certain the difference is much more discernable with a happy switch.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bangbangduck View Post
    Shooting an MP5 (or clone) side-by-side with a USC to UMP conversion, you can definitely tell the difference right away. I love my UMP and don't find the recoil to be excessive, but in comparison, an MP5 is much smoother and easier to rapid fire while maintaining tight control. All the weight of the UMP is in it's bolt, so it jumps around a whole lot more.

This is my experience rapid firing both, I'm certain the difference is much more discernable with a happy switch.
    I've had the pleasure of shooting a full auto, post sample UMP and I can say that it IS very bouncy. But it's hard to compare a .45 UMP to a 9mm MP5. How much of it is the round and how much is due to the blowback nature of the UMP? Comparing a 9mm UMP to a 9mm MP5 would be more apples to apples but I've never had the chance to shoot a postie 9mm UMP.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Holy back from the dead thread!!! Jesus. I can say that my views on .45 have changed over the years. Don't much care for it to be honest. And I do not feel underpowered with a 9mm. But wow. Didn't realize this was a 7 year old thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links