New guy here - SP89 related questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New guy here - SP89 related questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New guy here - SP89 related questions

Hello all - New guy here from WV. Life long recreational shooter, and my only current HK firearm is a P2000SK in 9mm... I have little/no knowledge of gun laws related to tactical/assault style weapons, and I figure this is probably the best place to ask...

First, a little background: My dad and uncle each purchased an HK SP89 in "1989-1991" and the one my dad purchased has still to this day never been fired. I would like to take it out with him and do some target shooting this upcoming spring, but he said he is not sure about the laws related to the weapon after the Clinton laws in the early 90's...

Question 1: I would like to attach a vertical foregrip - are there any issues here if I were to want to do this?

Question 2: High Capacity (30rd) Magazine - issues here?

Question 3: Attachment of some sort of tactical stock - I think this might make it a SBR, and require registration?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TGH1987; 01-07-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Vertical fore-grip cannot be attached to the pistol unless it is first registered as an AOW (any other weapon). Stock and fore-grip together cannot be attached unless first registered as SBR. Somebody was arrested for putting an SP89 up for sale with an ad that showed a photo of the SP89 with a stock and fore-grip next to it. You cannot even possess the items in question along with the SP89, or you could be accused of constructive possession. Magazine capacity is not an issue, legal in most states. I would take that photo down just to be safe...
    Florida Man Arrested for Constructive Possession of an SBR « Prince Law Offices, P.C.
    Last edited by vicdoc; 01-07-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added info
    HK Urbach MP5K-N with SWR QD3K
    Fleming Registered Sear
    Dakota Tactical D54P pistol
    HK USP Tactical w/ Gemtech SOS 45 (ret), Silencerco Osprey 45
    Michael's Machines MM23E
    HK VP9
    Powershot P5 Pistol
    HK SP5K
    Black USC Carbine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent, thanks for the heads up...

From what I understand... If I want the foregrip, I have to have it reregistered as "AOW"... If I want to add a stock along with the foregrip, I must reregister it as a "SBR".

My question: Do I have to register as "AOW" before "SBR" or would just going straight to "SBR" be the correct pathway with the "AOW" being effectively a non-essential intermediate?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Go SBR. there is no law that says you have to use your stock. If you get an op breifcase for it I would register the case as a AOW unless you have a sear. then above is trumped. Drop the $200 and wait 6 months then have a pdw! Wish my family woulda stockpiled some nice hk pieces like that! You are hella lucky!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Before registering this remember it is much harder to transfer and sell an NFA firearm then a SP89 pistol. It goes through the BATFE for sales approval, takes months and out of state transfers are 2 step processes and add $400 to the cost. Once you do it then only the registrant can possess it, it cannot be lent to anyone else. The exception would be if you had a corporation or a trust where the folks who might be shooting it would be in the corp or trust. The simpler thing would be to enjoy it as the pistol it is or get a clone which has a long barrel or fake suppressor so you can use the stock and vertical foregrip. I have an HK94 I SBR'd, it is hard to sell without taking a big hit (I tried) and you will lose value. ATF has been inconsistent about whether you can reverse the SBR registration to return it to pistol status, where it is easier to sell: some have been told by ATF that to return it to title 1 status you have to add a fake suppressor or 16" barrel... imagine how stupid that would look and how hard it is to sell such a gun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with vicdoc's recommended consideration and take it a touch further: leave the SP89 as is, buy a clone for all the SBR/AOW type of fun and games.

You could sell the SP89 and buy 3 clones, if not 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the input.

If there is zero prospect of selling them (read as family heirloom), would your opinion of leaving it as-is remain the same?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TGH1987 View Post
    My dad and uncle each purchased an HK SP89 in "1989-1991" and the one my dad purchased has still to this day never been fired. I would like to take it out with him and do some target shooting this upcoming spring, but he said he is not sure about the laws related to the weapon after the Clinton laws in the early 90's...
    I don't imagine that there are too many "NIB" SP89 specimens out there. If it is to be an heirloom, going the NFA route will make it more difficult to pass along. I would shoot your uncle's gun with your Dad and if you want the NFA accessories, buy a clone and register it as an AOW or SBR. Non-NFA HK SP89s still command a premium from collectors and clones are so much cheaper and readily available for shooting enjoyment.

Best,

TC

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)

Welcome to the site!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I understand the heirloom thing. My grandfather bought a 53 telecaster new and skipped all his kids to give it to me. I could sell it and not be so poor, but I would just as fast sell my soul. Ill die poor with that f'ing thing. Then again I also still play it, i'd do the same with the gun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links