HKPRO Forums banner

New Member and Question About VP9

4K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Betucker 
#1 ·
Hello! I am from South Carolina and just joined the forum today. I am planning on buying a VP9 here in the next couple days and I am debating between the black model or the grey model. Both would be the standard model, not the LE model. I understand the grey is mixed in with the polymer as opposed to being ceracoated. However, I am wondering what differences if any there are between the two. This will be my first firearm purchase and I just want to make sure I have all the facts before purchasing. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to all of your responses and help.

#2 ·
No difference between the two other than color. BTW you are correct the color is in the polymer and not coated so if the weapon is scratched, bruised etc you will still see grey. Grey is probably a limited run like most color frames so if you can get grey now then do it because they might not be readily available in the future and youll have to pay more. Where as standard black frames are available

Welcome to the site

#8 ·
Thanks for the reply, info, and welcome. I ended up going with the grey standard model.

Welcome to the site--- let us know what you acquire!!! :biggrin:

Tony
Thanks for the welcome! I ended up going with the grey standard model.

You'll be fine with either, welcome aboard!
Thanks for the welcome!

Same polymer is used. Buy the one that is least expensive. If there is a price difference.
Thanks there was no price difference between the two.

Like @sean415 said, the coloured frames are most likely a limited run. Definitely consider the LE model. Unless you plan on going with different sights than mepros, it's a great value with 3 mags and tritium sights that have a charging ledge. (I read somewhere the latest models have tfx pro's.)
Thanks and yeah I did consider going with the LE model but I remember reading some negative feedback about the mepros and I figured I could just as easily upgrade the sights later. I ended up getting the grey standard model this morning and am happy with my decision.

Welcome to the forum! I got the black VP9 when there were no other choices, but I love it just the same :)
Thanks for the welcome! I figure I would be happy with either as well since they should function the same. Ended up going with the grey standard model.

#10 ·
I use 124 gr FMJ for my MP5, same for the VP9. Others may differ, and that is fine, I have good luck with the CCI blazer brass. I like the Freedom Munitions 124, it just takes so long to get it after I order it, sometimes upwards of a month, which, I don't understand, but whatever.

I get the Blazer 124 gr 9mm from Natchez Shooters Supply www.natchezss.com frequently I order it on Monday and have it on the porch by Wednesday of the same week.

Enjoy!

#12 · (Edited)
Wow! For a new guy you're awful pushy! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here again, others may differ, and that is fine, for me, for my .02, I use and like the stuff called " Fire Clean" there was a big hullaballew a couple of years ago, lawsuits and such saying that it was crisco. I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now. For me, FireClean works superbly on my MP5 and other firearms. I've also used Hoppe's, Remington, Break Free, Slip 2000 is pretty good.

I just got tired of the smell, and having to use multiple products to achieve the end goal, a clean, lubed firearm. I get that with FireClean, and only have to use one product.

Again, others may and I'm sure will differ, that's fine, that is a big quality of hkpro, we can have differing opinions and thoughts, and that's not the end of the world.

Harbor Freight tools can be you friend for scrubbing type brushes and the required range boxes / bags. You might also do a search for "Swab-it's" they do real well cleaning the bore, and last longer than q-tips for some of their other brushes.

After you start to get comfortable with it, 500 + rounds, come to class. Best place going is Teufelshund Tactical, James is here on the forum Marine0303. You will not find better quality education when it comes to firearms and especially hk's anywhere, no BS. The guy is awesome.

Have fun! welcome!

#15 ·
Haha sorry! Thanks for the additional info and being so helpful. I couldn't agree more about it being a good thing to have a variety of opinions from various HK owners. Thanks as always
Warm welcome from Tampa. Glad to see another VP9 owner.

You will get a range of inputs on cleaning and lube.

Obviously the first step is to check Section 7 of your Operator's Manual. This states:

"Cleaning rod with handle and patch holder

Nylon toothbrush

Bronze bristle bore brush (in the appropriate caliber)

Cleaning patches (in the appropriate caliber)

Lint-free wiping rag

Cleaning solvent/lubricant

Cotton swabs"

HK does offer cleaning kits if you want to go that route. Certainly you can't go wrong there.

Personally, I would skip the 'kits', and build a set of tools that works *for you*.

Purely as an example, here is a compact inexpensive set of supplies I carry in a small zippered pouch, that I have found useful:

Slip2000 EWL, 4 oz (*)
Hoppes Bore Snake, 9mm
Brass T-handle threaded cleaning rod, 6"
9mm pistol Jag, threaded
9mm nylon brush, threaded
9mm cotton mop, threaded
2" x 2" cotton patches
Set of Tifton Picks
Discarded credit card
Discarded toothbrush
Discarded kitchen hand towel
Q tips
Baby bottle brush
Chopstick

My routine is Barrel, frame, slide:

1) Plug barrrel with a patch. Drop 10-15 drops of CLP into barrel. Set aside to soak.

2) Wipe frame of visible deposits. Moisten a patch with CLP and wipe into cracks and crevices.

3) Moisten a patch and using a pick, scrub deposits in frame. Wrap a moist patch around a credit card and clean frame channel. Use wet Q tips A/R. Use wet toothbrush on stubborn areas. Use a pick wrapped in a patch and clean extractor channel.

Return to the barrel, and use barrel brushes, wet patches around the jag, then finally the Bore snake 5X and mop. Remove stubborn deposits A/R.

Inspect the working parts with a Petzel AAA headlamp.

Follow the Operator's Manual and relubricate and reassemble as per HK specifications.

Every few range sessions I'll take my magazines apart. I use the chopstick to depress the catch, then release the floor plate. I use the baby bottle brush to wipe out the case, then I reassemble them dry.

Good luck!

Rich

* There are many many good CLP products out there. I think I've decided it doesn't really matter (within reason) *what* you use, as long as you use *something*.
Thanks for the welcome, I have family in Tampa. I definitely plan on reading through the manual several times to familiarize myself with the VP9. Also, thanks for the thorough reply and info regarding cleaning. I was thinking about getting the Nato Cleaning Kit from M-Pro 7 but maybe piecing it together is the way to go. Thanks!

#16 ·
Seriously, think about checking out the guys at Teufelshund Tactical, they do a great job with educating how to get the most out of your firearm, and feel free to ask whatever, whenever!

#20 ·
Will do, would definitely be a great investment in the future thanks for the recommendation!

The gray model would have been my choice, as well!!! :biggrin:

Tony
Great minds think alike ;)

m-pro7 is good stuff, you wouldn't go wrong with that
any basic pistol kit will do at first, and you can add things as needed
you can buy one at wallymart or a sporting goods store or amazon for cheap with a CLP (cleaner,lube,protectant)
Good to know! Thanks for the info and explanation of the CLP.

No worries.

On lube, last year I compiled a list sorted in price per ounce of common lubricants. Since you said you were new, it might be of interest:

Slide Glide Lite, tube, 0.25 oz. $26.00 / oz

Fireclean 2 oz. $9.97 / oz

Slipstream Weapon Lubricant 2 oz. (est) $7.50 / oz.

Rand CLP Nano 2 oz. bottle $6.57 / oz

Wilson Ultima Lube Universal 2 oz. bottle $5.97 / oz

Militec-1 4oz Lubricant $5.73 / oz

M-Pro Gun oil LPX 2 oz. bottle $4.99 / oz

Inox MX3 100 g (3.5 oz) small $4.28 / oz

Froglube 4 oz. bottle $3.93 / oz

Weapon Shield WS-4 4 oz. bottle $3.73 / oz

Slip EWL 4 oz. $3.24 / oz

Gunzilla 4oz twist top $2.99 / oz

Royal Purple 02514 Synfilm High Performance Synthetic Air Compressor Lubricant 2 oz. $2.87 / oz.

Breakfree CLP 4 oz. $2.82 / oz

Lucas Oil 10006 Gun Oil 2 oz. $2.57 / oz

Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Lubrication 4 oz. $2.50 / oz

Ballistol Multi-Purpose Oil Aerosol 6 oz. $1.96 / oz

Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil 16 oz. $1.87 / oz. (Brownell's, plus shipping)

Hoppe's No. 9 Lubricating oil, 2 1/4 oz. $1.55 / oz

Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant Drip-Bottle, 6 oz. $1.50 / oz

Rem oil Gun Lubricant Aerosol Can 10 oz. $1.16 / oz

3 in One PTFE Lubricant, 4 oz, Lowe's $0.99 / oz

WD-40 Multi-use Spray 16 oz. $0.87 / oz

Mineral Oil USP Vi-Jon 16 oz. $0.51 / oz

Mobil 1 10w-40 32 oz. $0.50 / oz

Home Depot Husky Air Compressor Oil, 16 oz bottle $0.16 / oz

Canola oil, Crisco pure, 48 oz. $0.06 / oz

Distilled Water, Deer Park, 6 x 1 gallon $0.03 / oz
Wow thanks for the breakdown and definitely helpful! Anybody ever use Distilled water haha?

#22 ·
+1 for Fireclean. It may not make much difference in a pistol, but my MP5 gets really dirty and FireClean makes cleaning the bolt assembly pretty darned easy.

I usually clean the bore with Hoppes, wipe down the bolt assembly with a rag, and then recoat the bolt with a light coating of FC.

#23 ·
So I just got done with the initial cleaning and lube. I hope to go shoot this week. I think the hardest part is just making sure I don't miss any areas. Also making sure I lube the right amount is also a bit of challenge/scare for me since I don't want to mess any thing up or have any errors come shooting time. Time will help I'm sure.

#24 ·
Relax! You're putting too much worry and work into it.

Just a drop of lube on your finger, on the frame rails and slide rails, maybe, MAYBE, just a dab on the feed ramp, and then don't sweat it!

Enjoy shooting, heading to the indoor range with my VP9 tomorrow, have fun!

#26 ·
FWIW, I've used MP7 exclusively on my HKs, and find the products (besides not smelling bad or being toxic) work great and make cleaning easier. I used CLP first based on ex-military friend's suggestion, it worked well, just like the MP7 product specific uses.

2 of my VP9 range toys are within few hundred rounds of 10K each, and both work and look pretty much as new.

Enjoy, they're tons of fun....now go find a 45C and HK45, they're even more fun!

#27 ·
Awesome yeah I ended up getting MP7 kit along with some other kits/supplies and I think it did a good job of cleaning. Cant wait to go shoot mine for the first time, hopefully this Friday. Once I graduate in May and get some money in the bank I definitely see myself adding more firearms, hell I haven't event shot my VP9 and I'm already itching to add another haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.