Marine MP5 owner but noob
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marine MP5 owner but noob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Marine MP5 owner but noob

I primarily use my MP5 as my main home defense weapon. I keep it right next to my bed with a few mags readily available. I cock it to the rear for the most part and keep it that way. My question is: will this damage the spring at all or cause any other long term damage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have heard of G3 rifles being stored with the spring back, and some of the guns developed bolt bounce. Not sure on a 9mm MP5, but Im not sure its the best position to keep the firearm for an extended period of time.

HK Shooting Team
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

The spring argument comes up time to time. In general, modern springs wear more with compressing and relaxing over and over than if left compressed. However, if it was my gun, I wouldn't want to leave the recoil rod spring compressed for an extended time.....but what is an extended time!!??

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Welcome to the site--- agree with my esteemed colleague--- no unneeded compression!!!

Tony

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Welcome to the site. We need to see photos!
    If "Dirty Harry" had been made in 1996:
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire twelve shots or only eleven?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a HK MARK 23, the only offensive handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

When I picked up my SP5K, I remember seeing the cocking handle in the back position. It has a BG date code and picked up mine in the beginning week of last month (June). Safe to assume since it came from HK that it is okay to store it that way now? I have it cocked and locked at this time now. I also didn't top the mag to 30 rounds since there has been some reports that there could be some type of failure to feed on a full mag, I'm not sure if it applies to all mags or certain non HK mags so I left it with 28 cartridges in each mag. Like you I have it as a home defense weapon.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

"Ease spring tension" is the exact recommendation from HK. Leaving the charging handle back, which compresses both the recoil rod assembly and hammer strut spring, is not recommended.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bystok View Post
    The spring argument comes up time to time. In general, modern springs wear more with compressing and relaxing over and over than if left compressed. However, if it was my gun, I wouldn't want to leave the recoil rod spring compressed for an extended time.....but what is an extended time!!??
    I agree with this commend 100%.
    HK USPc .40
    HK P30s 9mm
    HK SP5K
    HK USC/UMP .45

Tug
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Welcome to the site. It may be worth thinking through the idea of not having your defensive weapon chambered and ready to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with this 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Tug View Post
    Welcome to the site. It may be worth thinking through the idea of not having your defensive weapon chambered and ready to use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links