Noob question: Grain-limitations
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Noob question: Grain-limitations

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    TX_shooter's Avatar
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Location : Dallas, TX
    Age : 50
    Posts : 28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Noob question: Grain-limitations

    Bought some 115gr 9mm rounds for my VP9SK based on the recommendation of the firearms salesman at my local sporting goods store. I was looking on their website and saw that they had options all the way up to 230gr. Where can I find out the practical-limit for 9mm grain size for my firearm. Tried Googling it, but no luck.


    H&K VP9SK Compact 9mm | Sig Sauer P238 Texas Edition .380 ACP | Springfield Armory Saint AR-15 5.56mm NATO

  2. #2
    Desperately Needs Treatment

    Join Date : Apr 2013
    Posts : 1,080
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TX_shooter View Post
    Bought some 115gr 9mm rounds for my VP9SK based on the recommendation of the firearms salesman at my local sporting goods store. I was looking on their website and saw that they had options all the way up to 230gr. Where can I find out the practical-limit for 9mm grain size for my firearm. Tried Googling it, but no luck.
    230 gr was likely .45
    common factory ammo goes up to 147 gr in 9mm
    most commonly found will be 115 gr, then 124 gr

  3. #3
    HKPRO Professional
    Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2010
    Location : Eastern Washington State
    Posts : 88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This is one of my favorite rounds. I do not have a VP9, but it runs nicely in my USPc.




    Ez
    If dogs don't go to Heaven, what's the point of going?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Superstar's Avatar
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Location : The great state of Texas
    Posts : 814
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    In terms of limitations I would say trial and error with different manufacturers and don't forget to report back what's good or not. The HK handbook recommends NATO spec 124gr. some people like to use heavier loads for the first 500 rounds as a"break in" period. I have used 89gr and it kept FTF every other round (my guess not enough power to compress the spring back), 115gr works and mainly use it for paper targets. Freedom Munitions Reman for 124gr HP and not a single FTF. You can also pick it up at their store if you live in the Houston area.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    TX_shooter's Avatar
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Location : Dallas, TX
    Age : 50
    Posts : 28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Thx! I think it was a filtering-error on the store's site. So I'm good with either 115gr or 124gr.

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    TX_shooter's Avatar
    Join Date : Sep 2017
    Location : Dallas, TX
    Age : 50
    Posts : 28
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Not in Houston. Only spent a few months there on a job with GE - Oil & Gas. So glad...oh so glad...that I relocated to Dallas!

  8. #7
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Superstar's Avatar
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Location : The great state of Texas
    Posts : 814
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    This is one of my favorite rounds. I do not have a VP9, but it runs nicely in my USPc.




    Ez
    I would interested to know the difference (in terms of decibels) how loud the report is between a subsonic round and a regular (115gr or 124gr) when fired with a suppressor. Does anyone know? Does it really make a difference?

  9. #8
    HKPRO Professional
    Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2010
    Location : Eastern Washington State
    Posts : 88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
    I would interested to know the difference (in terms of decibels) how loud the report is between a subsonic round and a regular (115gr or 124gr) when fired with a suppressor. Does anyone know? Does it really make a difference?
    I do not, specifically, know the answer to your question. I will say though, that unsuppressed, it is noticeably not as loud. Ballistics are 900-950fps.

    Ez

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •