USP9 bottom of magazine loose in magazine well

Thread: USP9 bottom of magazine loose in magazine well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default USP9 bottom of magazine loose in magazine well

New to the forums and HK ownership, recently picked up a used 1999/2000 full size USP 9mm with stainless steel slide.

Love it, looks and shoots great but I did notice that the bottom of the magazine has some play and is loose in the magazine well. It's not really noticeable when handling or shooting it but if you push the floor plate of the mag around you can see it move and clack around.

Was wondering if this is normal, a sign of its age/use, or if something could be wrong?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hk_plebian View Post
    New to the forums and HK ownership, recently picked up a used 1999/2000 full size USP 9mm with stainless steel slide.

Love it, looks and shoots great but I did notice that the bottom of the magazine has some play and is loose in the magazine well. It's not really noticeable when handling or shooting it but if you push the floor plate of the mag around you can see it move and clack around.

Was wondering if this is normal, a sign of its age/use, or if something could be wrong?
    When you move the gun around does the magazine "rattle" when in the magwell, usually when downloaded by one round?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I assume you're referring to the factory 15rd all polymer magazine?

There will be some play as you want the magazines to be drop-free (drop when lever is depressed). There is a tab on the forward end of the magazine that acts as an indent where the magazine catch sits, if this is worn or if the magazine catch spring is worn, you may see more play in the magazine well. How much tension do you feel when depressing the magazine paddle release?

I'd check those things out and see if it's happening with all magazines or just one and go from there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hgratt View Post
    When you move the gun around does the magazine "rattle" when in the magwell, usually when downloaded by one round?
    I only really tried with the magazines empty, I'll throw some snap caps in and see what happens when I shake the gun!

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentTactical View Post
    I assume you're referring to the factory 15rd all polymer magazine?

There will be some play as you want the magazines to be drop-free (drop when lever is depressed). There is a tab on the forward end of the magazine that acts as an indent where the magazine catch sits, if this is worn or if the magazine catch spring is worn, you may see more play in the magazine well. How much tension do you feel when depressing the magazine paddle release?

I'd check those things out and see if it's happening with all magazines or just one and go from there.
    This is with factory 10 round magazines (California).

I'll try what hgratt and you suggested tonight and see how things feel. Thanks for the suggestions!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hk_plebian View Post
    I only really tried with the magazines empty, I'll throw some snap caps in and see what happens when I shake the gun!

This is with factory 10 round magazines (California).

I'll try what hgratt and you suggested tonight and see how things feel. Thanks for the suggestions!
    I have had access to 2 USP9's (gun club rental and my own) and 4 P30 9mm's (gun club rentals and my own - 2 P30's and 2 P30L's). Most noticeably, with the mags loaded to 14 rounds (one chambered), they all exhibited magazine "rattle" in the magwell even when new. This use to bother me, to the point that I contacted HKCS a few years back to discuss it with one of their armorers. Basically, he stated that it is part and parcel of the drop free mag design. Since I've shot upwards of 8000 - 10,000 rounds (total) in my guns over the last few years without incident, I no longer notice it. So yes, it appears to be quite normal.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on your first, HK sidearm--- and normal!!!

Tony

Sponsored Links