Hello to all and a few questions

Thread: Hello to all and a few questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Hello to all and a few questions

Hello everyone,
    I am a long time lurker who joined a couple of years ago who has never posted. I am from somewhere in NC. I have learned a lot over the last couple of years and have bought several HK's (darn this site and you enablers).
    Anyways I have some P30's and USP's that I am thinking of doing some variant conversions on and am wondering what tools to get.
    From what I have read the TRS pliers/tool from HK Parts is one and would this set of punches(https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/8-Pi...-449p16737.htm) be good to get too? Also are there any other tools/items that you would recommend I get to do this? I would either be starting with converting a USP 45 Double/Single to the match/lem hybrid or doing a P30 to V1 to 4.1. Another question is what one would be easier to start with?
    Thanks for you help,
    Chiefstryker

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

1. The HKParts TRS Pliers is a *must* if you plan to swap TRS. Some could get buy with just a pair of thin, long-needle pliers (I did before HKParts released that tool)
    2. The RennSteig punch set or a Grace USA punch set would do
    3. A dental pick (for LEM conversion)
    4. A good rubber mallet

What did you mean by "Another question is what one would be easier to start with?"

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    1. The HKParts TRS Pliers is a *must* if you plan to swap TRS. Some could get buy with just a pair of thin, long-needle pliers (I did before HKParts released that tool)
    2. The RennSteig punch set or a Grace USA punch set would do
    3. A dental pick (for LEM conversion)
    4. A good rubber mallet

What did you mean by "Another question is what one would be easier to start with?"
    he wants to know if USP45 da/sa to match lem hybrid or P30 v1 to v4.1 is easier

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

Definitely the P30 V1 to V4.1 conversion. If you keep the stock TRS (to keep the same V1 light pull), you will only have to change out 3 parts and you won't need the HKParts TRS Tool.
    Last edited by TooSixy; 10-11-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks TooSixy. That is what I was wondering.
    One more question I have is about is about the nickel coated sear spring. I remember reading about people putting it in the P30. Is it worth it to do and what difference does it make?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Couple more items...

A piece of stiff rubber that you can place pistol components on while doing work, this will prevent unnecessary marking. Brass gunsmith hammer (GG&G makes a nice one) that can be found on Midway USA or Brownell's is great to have as well. A good set of picks always helps as well as a small blade flat head screwdriver. Lastly, I'd check out a Lyman trigger pull gauge...absolutely ideal if you're going to start working mods on your pistols.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Serpent. I will look into those.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefstryker View Post
    Thanks TooSixy. That is what I was wondering.
    One more question I have is about is about the nickel coated sear spring. I remember reading about people putting it in the P30. Is it worth it to do and what difference does it make?
    It is a cheap mod and helps with the trigger break.

$3.99 from Brownells (can be backordered).
    https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...44-148993.aspx

If you want to reduce the trigger pull a little more, try a Light FPBS.

Sponsored Links