Striker to Hammer fired - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Striker to Hammer fired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartyB View Post
    I strongly recommend not buying an LEM trigger firearm until you at least are able to dry fire one but preferably spend some time shooting one first. People seem to love them or hate them. I love them, personally but have saved three people some money by letting them shoot mine before buying...they hated them and went the non-LEM route. Don't be in a hurry!
    Thank you. I am waiting until I can at least handle and pull the trigger on one. I am very tempted to just grab one online, but thankfully I had a lot of bills this past month so that is keeping me in check!
    MartyB likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I previously owned a HK VP9, they do shoot very easy. Although, I decided to get away from striker fired pistols, after an accidental discharge. It takes some getting use to with the DA/SA trigger, but you can get really good even with a heavy DA/SA trigger. I’ve started shooting my HK USP better and better. I like how safe a pistol is with the hammer being down, or hammer back and locked.

I’m sure you would be fine with a P30, a P2000, or even a USP compact.

7.5lbs is not much.

There’s an old revolver called the Nagant, some have trigger weights of 30lbs. Which is nearly impossible for an average female shooter to pull. But, they manage it.

Anyways, HK makes a great gun. And whatever you get, the more you shoot it, the better you are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My first pistol was a DA/SA and am grateful for that. I only say that because it taught me a lot about reaction shots, trigger pulls under stress, hammer position, follow up shots, and with all of those PLUS TONS AND TONS OF PRACTICE, it made most triggers much easier to acclimate to.

There are so many experts here that have such better advice than I could probably ever give You, but if there is one thing I could say it would be to just PRACTICE. Guns hold their value for the most part, so buy one (I would suggest a p2000 personally) and just practice. Once you know what you're shooting and own multiple firearms, and of course practice often so you're not too rusty over time, the rest kind of falls into place with enough time shooting them. Not saying it will be automatic, but knowing how to shoot one properly, whether it becomes your favorite or not, would be helpful just as a shooter. As they say, you just never know!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Heyas Caanuride, welcome to the HK kraziness!
    I'm the guy that's gonna say that if you are gonna buy a p30, you really need to try it out first. Don't impulse buy, or buy sight unseen, until you know the trigger on it. Especially compared to a highly premium striker trigger like a VP9. I've owned a fair amount of hammer guns, started shooting with them, actually, about 30 years ago. And from personal experience, after owning the VP9 and SK as my principle carry guns, my opinion is that if you switch from the VP9 trigger system to the p30 trigger system, you're gonna have issues.
    The VP9 trigger system is one of the top 5 striker systems in production right now. The p30 system is (arguably) one of the worst showings that HK has on their hammer guns. Each and every one of HKs different lines, has a different trigger to it, from the USP, to the p2000, to the p30.
    As I said, I've shot hammer guns most of my life. I tested out the p30 in both 9mm and .40 before I finalized the sale on the one I was gonna buy. With live ammo, I was literally pulling and pulling and pulling the trigger back, really starting to wonder when it was going to fire. 4 boxes of ammo for each and afterwards I was soooo happy to take them both back to the rental desk.
    Not every body is like that, and a lot of people aren't. But that trigger, to me, is just entirely too long before the break.
    The USP is much better, IMO, and while still not awesome, it's a lot better than the one in the p30 (again, IMO).

Not to sound like I'm being against female shooters at all, just the exact opposite, actually. Because you have an entirely different set of challenges than we males do, when it comes to shooting. And hammer fires offer even more challenges to you all, than they do to us. Length of pull, and weight of pull being two of the key factors, weight, and recoil impulse being another set of factors in whether you enjoy shooting a pistol or not.
    HK's hammer guns may not be something that would work well for you, due to the length of their pull, so try it before you buy it. And there are definitely hammer guns out on the market with better triggers for hammers so....if you have a chance to shoot something like a FN FNX, or a CZ hammer gun, experiment around.

As for compacts vs regular size. That may be the way to go for you. Most modern compacts utilize a double recoil spring set up which DEFINITELY helps soften up the recoil, and puts you back on target faster. They are also lighter than the full sized versions as well. I can definitely see tighter groups in my VP9sk than I can with my VP9.

Wish you well, best of luck, and again, welcome to the kraziness! :)
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf View Post
    I'm the guy that's gonna say that if you are gonna buy a p30, you really need to try it out first. Don't impulse buy, or buy sight unseen, until you know the trigger on it. Especially compared to a highly premium striker trigger like a VP9. I've owned a fair amount of hammer guns, started shooting with them, actually, about 30 years ago. And from personal experience, after owning the VP9 and SK as my principle carry guns, my opinion is that if you switch from the VP9 trigger system to the p30 trigger system, you're gonna have issues.
    The VP9 trigger system is one of the top 5 striker systems in production right now. The p30 system is (arguably) one of the worst showings that HK has on their hammer guns. Each and every one of HKs different lines, has a different trigger to it, from the USP, to the p2000, to the p30.
    As I said, I've shot hammer guns most of my life. I tested out the p30 in both 9mm and .40 before I finalized the sale on the one I was gonna buy. With live ammo, I was literally pulling and pulling and pulling the trigger back, really starting to wonder when it was going to fire. 4 boxes of ammo for each and afterwards I was soooo happy to take them both back to the rental desk.
    Not every body is like that, and a lot of people aren't. But that trigger, to me, is just entirely too long before the break.
    The USP is much better, IMO, and while still not awesome, it's a lot better than the one in the p30 (again, IMO).

Not to sound like I'm being against female shooters at all, just the exact opposite, actually. Because you have an entirely different set of challenges than we males do, when it comes to shooting. And hammer fires offer even more challenges to you all, than they do to us. Length of pull, and weight of pull being two of the key factors, weight, and recoil impulse being another set of factors in whether you enjoy shooting a pistol or not.
    HK's hammer guns may not be something that would work well for you, due to the length of their pull, so try it before you buy it. And there are definitely hammer guns out on the market with better triggers for hammers so....if you have a chance to shoot something like a FN FNX, or a CZ hammer gun, experiment around.

As for compacts vs regular size. That may be the way to go for you. Most modern compacts utilize a double recoil spring set up which DEFINITELY helps soften up the recoil, and puts you back on target faster. They are also lighter than the full sized versions as well. I can definitely see tighter groups in my VP9sk than I can with my VP9.

Reset may be better on the vp9, but the P30 blows it away in overall quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf View Post

Thank you for all that info. Yes, as a female shooter, it does seem the challenges are much different. I have gotten so much better handling recoil, but those long trigger pulls are very intimidating! I know it will take practice, but I do want to end up with something I can enjoy shooting. I need to keep my excitement in check and take a patience pill !!!
    The gun show I was waiting for was a total disappointment. I hoped to handle a USP, P2000 and P30 but all I found was more VP9s. I did find a P30sk at a LGS and though it felt great in my hand, I agree that the trigger pull was a bit long. However, I have not yet found a LEM model to try. I will keep looking around and keep checking the rentals at the range. Thanks again for all your words of wisdom.
    DarkeWolf likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I’m in Cleveland’s west side burbs. Send a PM if you wanna meet up to try a light LEM. I try to get out weekdays in the late morning/early afternoon.

Happy Shooting

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I own both full size and compact USP's - mainly in 40, though I have picked up and carry one of the compacts with an HK .357 sig barrel that I purchased separately - I LOVE this round...

But it is not a round most will like. Recoil is a bit snappy and every time I fire it, the only sound I can think of is it sounds 'angry' - don't know why I think about it that way.

But I LOVE the HK USP Compact. Love the dual recoil spring. I actually LIKE shooting it in 40 cal as well. I've got to pick up an HK USPC 9mm barrel to try it out.

My wife LOVES her S&W Model 19 w a 2 3/4" barrel that I have done a trigger job on. Smooth as glass. She recently got her CCW on her own without my urging (retired gunsmith/NRA firearms instructor) so it was all her. She passed with flying colors.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Love my LEMs, as well as DA/SA, though most of my pistols with hammers are DA/SA, I prefer the LEM. It's closest to a striker trigger for a hammer fired. Takes a few hundred rounds to get used to, but works for me.
    VP9 - times 4
    VP9SK
    P30 v3
    P30SK v3
    HK45 V1 German Made
    HK45 V7 US built
    HK45 V1 US built
    HK45C V7 OD
    HK 45C V1 German Made

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links