Striker to Hammer fired
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Striker to Hammer fired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Striker to Hammer fired

Hi everyone! I am fairly new here and have only been shooting since January (2018). My HK addiction started shortly thereafter. I now have both the VP9 and the VP9sk. My experience is limited to striker fired pistols, but I want to expand to hammer fired. I tried shooting a hammer fired Sig P250 in the 40 s&w and it was WAY too much for me. I think it was the combination of the long trigger pull and the strong recoil. I tried a HK P30 9mm at the range the other day and liked it, but was not very accurate. I know I have a lot to learn and improve on trigger control to shoot a hammer fired pistol well.
    I know most of you are USP fans. I guess I have to mention, as a female shooter, I am concerned a heavier pistol would take it's toll and I would not be able to shoot it for very long. Would you all recommend I start with a P30 or work my way into a USP 9mm? What are your recommendations to transition to hammer fired pistols?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

As far as hammer or striker, I don't think there is a weight difference. I like the hammer because I always know where the trigger is by the feel of the hammer. On LEM models the hammer is always down except when you are pulling the trigger and it is a very light pull until you get to the trigger break where it is the same as a DA/SA or striker fired.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The P30 is just about the same weight as your VP9. Any difficulties you had shooting the P30 are probably less about the weight and more about getting used to the different trigger. You might also want to look at a USP compact. Also see if you can find an HK with a LEM trigger to try.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, the weight difference I was referring to was the USP not being a polymer pistol ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I thought the P30 was the same as the VP9...it's definitely about the difference in trigger. I would love to try a USP, but the range rentals are pretty thin on HKs... Would you say the USP compact has the nicest trigger ?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)

All of the VP, P30, USP (and HK45) are polymer.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Get a 9mm P30 with a light LEM factory trigger. Although the LEM is considered to be a double-action (DA) only trigger, it does not have the long heavy double action pull, but a rather light long pull until the trigger breaks. Thereafter, the single-action (SA) pull is crisp and the reset is short for follow-up shots (similar to striker-fire). If you did not like the long trigger pull of the Sig P250, stay away from the DA/SA trigger version of the P30 for now. The DA pull of HK hammer-fired guns are much harder than Sigs. Once you acclimate to the LEM, you'll transition to the DA/SA trigger much better if you want that.
    WolfieRules likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caanuride View Post
    ... Would you say the USP compact has the nicest trigger ?
    No. In terms of trigger pull and feel, there isn't much difference between the P30 and USP9c. However, because the P30 grip is more ergonomic, trigger finger placement is more optimal for the P30 IMO, giving you better leverage for the trigger pull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you, that helps.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)

Welcome to the site--- see if a LGS carries HK products and get a feel for what you are looking for!!!
    Also, here are the HK sidearms with specifications:

https://hk-usa.com/product/pistols/

Tony

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links