Safety Conversion?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Safety Conversion?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Safety Conversion?

I just got lucky and scored a NIB HK 9mm Full Size from a part of a collection in an Estate sale. Price was incredible, but when I went to see it the first thing that hit me was a lack of external safety and decocker like I have on my .40 compact. But the price was so good, I couldn't pass it up.

Is it possible to convert it to an external safety with a decocker, or at least an external safety.?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    "Deplorables Life Member"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Safety Conversion?

Yes, sounds like a v7 to v1 conversion. Most people go the other way, resulting in spare parts. Those are the parts you need, you should be able to sell the resulting parts from your swap for a few bucks when complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fort Tom likes this.
    01 / 03

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jt15550 View Post
    Yes, sounds like a v7 to v1 conversion. Most people go the other way, resulting in spare parts. Those are the parts you need, you should be able to sell the resulting parts from your swap for a few bucks when complete.

Thank you. Do those parts "drop in" or do they require gunsmith hand fitting?
    Thanks again,
    FT

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)

You can add a safety but no decocker since it is a LEM. Just need a few DA/SA parts to accomplish that task.
    Fort Tom likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    You can add a safety but no decocker since it is a LEM. Just need a few DA/SA parts to accomplish that task.
    Do I also have to swap a trigger spring. The first pull on this thing feels like 10lbs. or more. Totally unacceptable. The 40C feels more like 5lb.

Thank you.

FT

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Tom View Post
    Do I also have to swap a trigger spring. The first pull on this thing feels like 10lbs. or more. Totally unacceptable. The 40C feels more like 5lb.
    It depends on what you currently have and what you're trying to accomplish. First, check to see what you have by removing the slide and looking at the TRS. Does it have round coils or square coils? Round = Light LEM, square = Heavy LEM. From there, you can determine what spring(s) you will need using this chart.

Also, you will almost never run into a situation where you will have that heavy first pull. I said "almost" because the only time that you will have that heavy pull is when you have a dud. As soon as you rack the slide, that heavy pull "disappears".
    Fort Tom likes this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Congratulations on the newest acquisition!!!

Tony
    Fort Tom likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    Congratulations on the newest acquisition!!!

Tony
    Thanks Tony, bought my first one, only a month and a half to two months ago, don't remember. First thing I wanted was some minor mods (sights and the GrayGuns reset kit). Loved it, so much the next thing I wanted was another one. I think I not only went down the rabbit hole, but continued into the abyss. Really have to give kudo's to this forum. Being an HK newb, I've had a lot of questions, such as the one above, and have gotten so much help. Hopefully, if I live that long, someday, I can repay that debt and help another with losing their HK virginity.

FT
    Last edited by Fort Tom; 05-22-2019 at 05:02 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is that due to the frame or a part that can't be modified? Can it be modified by a competent 'Smith, or am I just SOL as far as a decocker goes.

Thanks again for all of your help, And the rest of you too. "It ain't easy being green"... If you get that you're a youngster, or a Grandfather like myself. Green and Newb are synonymous here.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

These are the 7 parts I shipped him (except new out of a KI USPc).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links