New Guy into HK pistols
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wallew
  • 1 Post By landseer

Thread: New Guy into HK pistols

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New Guy into HK pistols

I recently moved to Las Vegas, Nevada from California. This allowed me to get my CCW and also purchase handguns like real American! I was introduced to the idea of carrying an HK by my CCW instructor. I got pretty interested as soon as I checked them out at the local gun counter. I decided on an HK45 and do not regret that purchase at all. What a nice shooting pistol. It is pretty easy to shoot well! The HK45 with a TLR1 is good as a night stand gun.

I still needed an HK carry gun though. I wanted to get the P30 9mm but it was the wrong time of year and no shop had one for sale. I got a great deal on a P30 in 40 cal instead. No regrets since I like and it is a great gun. I have been shooting it and carrying it quite a bit.

Keeping in mind that I am a protector not a collector, can you recommend a better more compact HK for carry?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Welcome. If you like the ergo of the P30 then the logical choice would be the little brother P30SK, however if you are planning to put an extended mag then try carrying the P30 instead since it is only half an inch that you'll be shaving off from the standard size mag.

Try the P2000 since it is just a tad smaller than the P30 but with the grip like USP/C or the P2000SK. Also the USPC is worth mentioning. I know you said that you are not a collector but that's how many of us start at first lol.

Wearing a good belt is one of the most important factors when CCW. I really like BigFoot Gun belts.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)

Welcome to the site--- USP45c!!!

Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I do enjoy carrying the P30 on a Hanks gun belt in a Vedder Light Tuck with the claw. At 4 o:clock the claw works very well to bring the grip in close. Add a little cant and you can only tell If you already know to look. It is pretty comfortable except for the grip texture.

I just can’t help thinking that an HK 45 compact or USPC (both with smoother grip texture) might be more comfortable and even better concealed.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfiredup View Post
    I do enjoy carrying the P30 on a Hanks gun belt in a Vedder Light Tuck with the claw. At 4 o:clock the claw works very well to bring the grip in close. Add a little cant and you can only tell If you already know to look. It is pretty comfortable except for the grip texture.

I just can’t help thinking that an HK 45 compact or USPC (both with smoother grip texture) might be more comfortable and even better concealed.
    I carry a USP45FS (no appreciable difference in size to the USP45c)--- and no problem with comfort or concealment!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Tony. I like the USP 45 too. I think I’ll go shoot one and see how it feels. From what I can gather the difference between USP and HK45 compact is the USP has higher capacity and a double recoil spring (instead of the vinal ring). Only the USP tactical has a better trigger. Does that about sum up the argument for USP45 over HK45C?

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Consider the USP compact in 40

If you liked the P30, you would most likely enjoy the USPC 40 - I've purchased from this seller for several of these at an excellent price - $450 plus S&H - he currently is selling three different ones - these are all LEO trade in's. Mine were as you would expect, carried a lot - shot a little

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812955182
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/821251991
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/821251975
    Last edited by wallew; 07-22-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    caanuride likes this.
    A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

"When the pin is pulled, MR GRENADE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND!!"

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something!!

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you like 45s, the USP 45 Compact is a great choice, just like Tony stated. If you want a 9mm, I would go with the USP 9mm compact or p2000sk. With .40 I would go with either a full size .40 USP or the compact. I like all of these, as I have all and they all are rock solid. You can not go wrong with an HK USP!!
    wallew likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Heyas Hammerfired! Congratulations on the great purchases! And congrats and welcome to freedom of firearms 😉
    Welcome to the site, and to the family!

If you are looking just at HKs for a smaller carry pistol, there are the P30sk, the VP9SK, the p2000 sk, and the USP compact, as well as the HK45 compact.
    I've carried the VP9SK as my primary for a couple of years, and love it. Tho from ur screen name, I'm guessing striker fires aren't ur primary choice.
    The USP line is always great. If you are ok with the triggers on them, the P30sk is a great carry piece. Tho the fave seems to be the p2k sk, which is a great gun but a tad pricey for a weapon that might get confiscated.
    A good gun belt and good holster can make a big difference for comfort. However, so is good concealed carry insurance. If ur going to carry, make sure you have a good gun lawyer on speed dial. Youll need them if u ever have to draw.
    Also welcome to the world of being paranoid Tha everybody is staring at ur gun. That feeling goes away after a while 😉
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

Banned

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Welcome to HKpro

Sponsored Links