Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AGG

Thread: HK/roller newb

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK/roller newb

Howdy:
    New to HK rifles and rollers, although I did have two Benellis and a USP years ago. Lots of time with AR platforms and bolt guns.
    Have a PTR GIR G3 on the way, along with a retractable stock, some new hardware, and a few other items. I need to get it set up with a SiCo Omega 300 can. Looking to get to know the HK91 clone world, and then maybe branching out further. Pretty sure I've got a lot to learn on this rifle.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

You're right -- a lot to learn. Especially if you're planning to suppress it.

You'll need a replacement locking piece. The #17 specifically. With the #17 swapped into the bolt group, you'll be unable to shoot it without the suppressor. I am planning on getting my SR9 threaded for a suppressor.

My plan is to get an entirely separate bolt group, along with a second carrier as well. Pricey, but since disassembling the bolt group is a pain and not something I'd want to do at the range, as second complete BCG with the #17 locking piece installed will allow relatively pain-free switching from suppressed to unsuppressed function.

The roller lock game is pricey, even for clone-worlders.
    Own: HK91, SR9, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, 2x P8A1, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: Done, until HK comes out with something new & nifty. Might start building an FNH collection.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've already got the #17 lock piece on the way. Also a heavy buffer for the fixed stock and I'll be sending the A3 for a heavier buffer as well. From what I"m understanding the #17 will work with the can off on the 91.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

My HK91 works well with or without the can using the #17 piece.

A bunch less perceived recoil, too.

DG
    I fix the radar you'all try to stay under...

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Interesting. From other threads on the forum here, I've read of reports where it won't function with the #17 without the suppressor.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From what I've seen on several boards the #17 is suggested as one of several means of reducing recoil without a can. I've seen several posts/threads that say the LP will run fine without a can. I've seen a post on this board about an older HK91 that wouldn't run. Admittedly, I haven't seen everything, but in researching this for about the last two weeks I'm seeing a lot more that says at least on the PTR91s it will run.
    Might also be that it is doing this with M80 or similar loads, so ammo choice may have something to do with it. I plan on trying it out and seeing what works.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conelrad View Post
    My HK91 works well with or without the can using the #17 piece.

A bunch less perceived recoil, too.

DG

That's consistent with just about everything I've seen. I've seen the #17 prescribed for use with a can and to reduce recoil to very reasonable level even with an A3, which is one of the configurations I plan on running.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the newest acquisition!!!

Tony
    BulkHead likes this.

Sponsored Links