a newby question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: a newby question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default a newby question

ok still a newby, I am in the penalty box waiting for my 10 day waiting in hell to be over. A question has come up. I am going to be getting a vp9sk and would like you experts to weigh in on whether or not I need to consider a solid slide plate, metal striker shroud, etc. or whether the factory parts will stand the test of time. I have shot for 63 years and some new firearms need help, some don't. I usually will shoot them for a while and decide thumbs up or down but wanted you folks to let me know your opinions. I am not a troll and will respect any and all opinions. thanks.
    Best regards,

THE Oldfart69

Life is too short to own a crappy firearm

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ...would like you experts to weigh in on whether or not I need to consider a solid slide plate, metal striker shroud, etc. or whether the factory parts will stand the test of time...
    Assuming your VP9sk is new or is pre-owned in good condition, the factory parts will last. Half my HK's are pre-owned with 2000+ rounds on them average, and I've had no problems with them at all. Besides, you are covered with the HK warranty for your pistol.
    [email protected] likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

See if you like it before making changes to it. HK is pretty good at making quality products and I would be hesitant to make changes. If you go to sell it then the aftermarket parts are most likely not going to help you much.
    HK - No Compromise

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Leave it stock. HK is a quality manufacturer and an "off the shelf" pistol will serve you well for many years. Most people tinker and replace parts, not due to breakage, but for more aesthetic reasons and personal preference.
    If you can't be safe...be deadly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Other than perhaps night sights, I don't recommend any changes to the gun before at least 1000 rounds.
    Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA CCW Instructor, Firearms Expert Witness - Fraternal Order of Police, Member: NRA, ISRA, SAF, ACLDN

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the acquisition!!!
    Allow a period of 100 rounds to determine what changes you want.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Newby follow up, I took a breath and am waiting on changes. I will report I have about 400 rounds through her and except for the 3 fte the first week not a failure in the lot. I do clean with each range visit and had used only factory ammo (Includin a box of my favorite carry ammo which I will use when not at the range {that being Federal LE HST 148gr Std vel}) Last week I also put 75 rounds of my own handloads (124gr fmj from Everglades with winchester spp, and Hodgdon CFE Pistol as powder). All 75 of those loaded, fired and ejected without issue. Tomorrow, I am going to mix them up with some 115 plated with gentle powder loading, on up to 124 JHP and +P loading and of course 147 fmj and jhp with rypical range loading point being finding the most accurate of the bunch for range work. I am loving this pistol I have the large side plate on left and back and small on right (I am a lefty) and this for me is the most comfortable grip on any pistol I have used in mu 60 years of pistol shooting. I am lovin it.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Newby follow up, I took a breath and am waiting on changes. I will report I have about 400 rounds through her and except for the 3 fte the first week not a failure in the lot. I do clean with each range visit and had used only factory ammo (Includin a box of my favorite carry ammo which I will use when not at the range {that being Federal LE HST 148gr Std vel}) Last week I also put 75 rounds of my own handloads (124gr fmj from Everglades with winchester spp, and Hodgdon CFE Pistol as powder). All 75 of those loaded, fired and ejected without issue. Tomorrow, I am going to mix them up with some 115 plated with gentle powder loading, on up to 124 JHP and +P loading and of course 147 fmj and jhp with rypical range loading point being finding the most accurate of the bunch for range work. I am loving this pistol I have the large side plate on left and back and small on right (I am a lefty) and this for me is the most comfortable grip on any pistol I have used in mu 60 years of pistol shooting. I am lovin it.
    Thanks for the update!!!

Tony

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Leave it stock. HK is a quality manufacturer and an "off the shelf" pistol will serve you well for many years.

emi calculator gst login ifsc code
    Last edited by emariokeller; 12-07-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emariokeller View Post
    Leave it stock. HK is a quality manufacturer and an "off the shelf" pistol will serve you well for many years.

emi calculator gst login ifsc code
    Did you really just copy and paste it from GTS197?!

Oldfart, welcome and it sounds you found your perfect match. I've been using Alien Gear holsters with success as well as a bellyband from Amazon for when I wear running shorts and a belt loop is nonexistent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links