Newbie Questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kbinmt

Thread: Newbie Questions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Newbie Questions

Hi everyone,

I am looking at getting into the HK scene with a USC 45 to UMP 45 conversion, and the intentions of going SBR in the near future. I have only ever purchase complete rifles or pistols. I want to make sure I fully understand what I am getting myself into and make sure I get all the parts I need.

From what I have read on this forum, Tommy Built Tactical is the best place to go for this conversion. I intend to use him for the this conversion and have read the parts needed for the conversion on his site. He mentions 4 main parts that are needed are the Demilled rear section with UMP push pin, UMP lower complete, stock, and the stock axle pin. This brings me to the questions I have been trying to answer:

Are the de-milled rear section for the UMP 40 and UMP 45 identical? I have seen listings and they do not indicate if it is a .40 or .45.
    Would it be better to have the stock USC barrel cut down and have the barrel threaded, or purchase a UMP 45 barrel that is already threaded?

Thanks in advance for any help.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am looking at getting into the HK scene with a USC 45 to UMP 45 conversion, and the intentions of going SBR in the near future. I have only ever purchase complete rifles or pistols. I want to make sure I fully understand what I am getting myself into and make sure I get all the parts I need.

From what I have read on this forum, Tommy Built Tactical is the best place to go for this conversion. I intend to use him for the this conversion and have read the parts needed for the conversion on his site. He mentions 4 main parts that are needed are the Demilled rear section with UMP push pin, UMP lower complete, stock, and the stock axle pin. This brings me to the questions I have been trying to answer:

Are the de-milled rear section for the UMP 40 and UMP 45 identical? I have seen listings and they do not indicate if it is a .40 or .45.
    Would it be better to have the stock USC barrel cut down and have the barrel threaded, or purchase a UMP 45 barrel that is already threaded?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    "Are the de-milled rear section for the UMP 40 and UMP 45 identical?" - yes, same

If you have a new USC barrel, I would have that cut and threaded, since you know it's history. Or, keep it as a title 1 til you SBR, and pick up a spare USC barrel so that you can cut one and have one if you ever need to remove the SBR from the registry and need to revert back to a rifle. Stuff happens, maybe you need to move to a state that does not allow SBRs, etc.

And yes, Tom Bostic is 'the man'.

Also, welcome to hkpro. A den of 'enablers'.
    Last edited by kbinmt; 11-11-2019 at 05:58 AM.
    wallew likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thank you for the information! I will likely have the barrel cut down and use a brace until the SBR paper work goes through.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thank you for the information! I will likely have the barrel cut down and use a brace until the SBR paper work goes through.
    I do not believe you can convert a rifle into a pistol, you can only convert it into a SBR. Therefore you won't be able to put a brace on it.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Welcome to the site--- keep us updated on the build!!!

Tony

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by illicit View Post
    I do not believe you can convert a rifle into a pistol, you can only convert it into a SBR. Therefore you won't be able to put a brace on it.
    @Phenomenon
    Illicit is correct, a rifle can not be "turned into" a pistol.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

As the other gents mentioned, you cannot do this. Once a rifle, always a rifle -- best you can do is SBR it after the paperwork comes back.

This is precisely why pistol builds are popular. A pistol can be converted to a rifle, and then back to a pistol. A pistol can have a brace on it while waiting for the SBR stamp to comeback, and then the stock swap can be done. Pistols are just more flexible, all around. Pistols also do not need to conform to 922r parts count specifications, where rifles do.

If you really want the HK on the side, the USC/UMP SBR route is the most affordable way to do it. You can't have all HK parts in it though, because since its a foreign made rifle put into a form that is not importable, you'll need to swap out a bunch of parts for US-made ones so that the entire rifle is considered US made.

Or, you can use a Tommy-built UMP style receiver to build an UMP pistol. Since its a pistol, you don't need to worry about parts counts and you can use all HK internals/moving parts. But when you SBR it, its not a RIFLE -- and you'll need to replace those parts again.

All in all? Your best bet really is to squirrel away your money and be patient. Sooner or later you'll find someone selling an UMP in a configuration you like. Possibly already cut down and completed. You'll save money doing it that way.

Or - go for a Tommy built UMP clone. The 45s are out of stock at Atlantic at the moment; but if I were in the market for an UMP, I'd just buy this:
    https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...tactical-ksm-9
    Own: HK91, SR9, SP5k, G36k, HK416, P30L, 2x P8, 2x P8A1, USP9, USP9 FDE
    Future: SP5 inbound

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think what sickness means to say is that when you SBR a pistol it is then considered a rifle when in that configuration and is then subject to 922r
    HK KI MARK 23
    HK KI USP45 Tactical
    HK BG USP9 Tactical
    HK BG 45 Tactical
    HK BG VP9 Tactical
    HK BG VP9
    HK BG P30
    HK BG P30SK
    HK BG SP5K(MP5K-N)
    TPM MP5F
    TPM P5SD
    MM 23E