New here
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By landseer

Thread: New here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default New here

I am new here and just wanted to stop in and say hi to everyone. There is so much great information here that has already helped me.

I am new to the firearm community. I just got into it because my brother in law let his carry permit expire so he has to take the class again and wanted me to take it with him so i told him yes. The class is in 1 week.

I went to the range with him a few weeks ago and got hooked and I have already applied for a permit to purchase so I can buy something earlier and not have to wait for my carry permit to come back after I submit my application after next week's class.

I am leaning towards a hk45c but still need to go to the local range and rent it to try it out to make sure I like it. I will also be ordering a sp5 from one of my local stores as they said they should be getting some in sometime in February.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Welcome to the site--- definitely try something that you are comfortable with, prior to purchasing!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    Welcome to the site--- definitely try something that you are comfortable with, prior to purchasing!!! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hkpro.com/forum/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

Tony
    Thank you. I will definitely be testing out a bunch before I make my purchase.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I would also try an HK USP compact in 9mm, 45, or even .40. They are reliable and rock solid.
    AGG likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself, but I'm old when it comes to firearms.

I don't actually own an HK (yet) but in my experience, big bore calibers like .45 paired with small frames are not ideal for new shooters. Please don't consider this in any way to be an insult- I've been shooting for years, but I find shooting high volumes of fire (as you will/should if you're training seriously) out of my compact Wilson Combat to be physically painful. Honestly, even a long day of training with 9mm can get pretty grueling, and .45 just makes that problem so much worse.

My 2 cents is to go for a 9mm. Cheaper ammo, easier to shoot, higher capacity, and honestly, with modern ammunition technology it's just as good if not better than .45. But as has been said, try things out and see what you like.
    HK P7M8
    Sig Sauer P229 Legion with RMR
    Wilson Combat Bill Wilson Carry
    Walther PPK/S (S&W Manufacture)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
    Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself, but I'm old when it comes to firearms.

I don't actually own an HK (yet) but in my experience, big bore calibers like .45 paired with small frames are not ideal for new shooters. Please don't consider this in any way to be an insult- I've been shooting for years, but I find shooting high volumes of fire (as you will/should if you're training seriously) out of my compact Wilson Combat to be physically painful. Honestly, even a long day of training with 9mm can get pretty grueling, and .45 just makes that problem so much worse.

My 2 cents is to go for a 9mm. Cheaper ammo, easier to shoot, higher capacity, and honestly, with modern ammunition technology it's just as good if not better than .45. But as has been said, try things out and see what you like.
    I was planning on testing the vp9/sk and p30S/sk too. But I would prefer something with a physical safety switch. As long as I like the the 45 I will probably get that and then eventually get the vp9/sk or p30S/sk so my wife can shoot something with less recoil at the range. Depends on which one she likes better.
    Last edited by Droid747; 02-01-2020 at 05:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Droid747 View Post
    I was planning on testing the vp9/sk and p30S/sk too. But I would prefer something with a physical safety switch.
    I get that, that's why I carry 1911s or double/single actions. I'd recommend DA/SA over a gun with a manual safety any day because of the simplified battery of arms. And with manual safeties, the only guns I really like are 1911s, because a proper draw stroke and grip involves riding the safety, meaning it will always be deactivated when you need it. HKs (and plenty of other manufacturers, like SIG, Smith and Wesson, FN, and Springfield, so this is in no way a bash on HK) have small safeties that have to be swept off on the draw. Since you don't ride them the way you do on a 1911, there's a good chance of failing to deactivate a safety. Obviously, if you're in a fight, that's not a good thing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have an Hk45ct and like it a bunch and I do carry it. Hk’s idea of “compact” is nothing like a SigSauer P365 or Glock 43x, mind you. Loaded up with a mag of .45 ACP that pistol can be quite a hip full to tote around. Carry an extra mag along with it and you’ll really feel like you’re carrying combat gear rather than an elegant CCW solution.

Should you end up with an Hk45c and prefer the manual safety, I’d recommend you choose to make it Variant 5/6 so that the switch is safety ON/OFF only. Lose the decocker and carry it 1911-style. Others may have better advice for you here. I recently switched mine to Light LEM and am in a brain retraining process with the new system. It’ll only cost you nine bucks and seven minutes of your time to switch to most variants if you choose to.

I fully confess I bought my Hk45ct for it’s appeal as a SpecWar Navy SEAL airborne karate-man combat pistol with a bitchin’ suppressor and laser/light combo hanging off it that shoots big gumball-sized .45 ACP nuggets. From the get-go I understood I wasn’t making an intelligent decision towards a comfortable and capable CCW solution. I already had a Glock 19 for that.
    Last edited by Prez; 02-01-2020 at 06:41 AM.
    [Hk91] [Hk MP5-N] [Hk45ct]

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by landseer View Post
    I would also try an HK USP compact in 9mm, 45, or even .40. They are reliable and rock solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid747 View Post
    I was planning on testing the vp9/sk and p30S/sk too. But I would prefer something with a physical safety switch. As long as I like the the 45 I will probably get that and then eventually get the vp9/sk or p30S/sk so my wife can shoot something with less recoil at the range. Depends on which one she likes better.
    USP (Variant 1):

https://www.hkpro.com/index.php?opti...stols&Itemid=5

Tony

Sponsored Links