Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By bauerdb
  • 1 Post By BYSAWHY
  • 3 Post By Marine0303

Thread: SP5 Drum vs MP5 Diopter Drum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default SP5 Drum vs MP5 Diopter Drum

Long time lurker but new to joining. Still waiting to pick up a SP5 if my LGS ever gets one in. Anyway I have a friend who did get a SP5 and we noticed the height of the castle drum is shorter than the diopter. Is this supposed to be? Additionally when threading the diopter on, how far should you screw it on. Bottom it out or thread half way until you can zero? Thanks for the help.

HK= NFG 4 the Wallet
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valuejet82 View Post
    Long time lurker but new to joining. Still waiting to pick up a SP5 if my LGS ever gets one in. Anyway I have a friend who did get a SP5 and we noticed the height of the castle drum is shorter than the diopter. Is this supposed to be? Additionally when threading the diopter on, how far should you screw it on. Bottom it out or thread half way until you can zero? Thanks for the help.
    Welcome to the forum.

SP5 is sold as a pistol. It gets a castle sight for shooting at arms length. MP5's are meant to be shouldered when firing so they get the diopter. Probably 99.99% of the people either put a brace on the SP5 or Form1 SBR it so a stock can be mounted therefore the castle gets changed out for drum. The whole reason they are so hard to find right now.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Remove the complete sight from the weapon. Leave the windage screw in place. Pull the spring from the bottom and lay the sight flat on the table. Remove the castle with the diopter ready. Screw the diopter on until it hits the table. Few will get it the first time. After you do it a few times it is pretty straightforward.
    Chargerdude70 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    bystok likes this.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Purchase the MP5 drum and then follow this helpful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJYGj9Rzf0E&t=3s
    Indreams84, BYSAWHY and wampum22 like this.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerdude70 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

SP5 is sold as a pistol. It gets a castle sight for shooting at arms length. MP5's are meant to be shouldered when firing so they get the diopter. Probably 99.99% of the people either put a brace on the SP5 or Form1 SBR it so a stock can be mounted therefore the castle gets changed out for drum. The whole reason they are so hard to find right now.
    I believe HK said they shipped them with crappy castle sights simply due to having so much supply on hand...and a shortage of diopters

Has nothing to do with being a pistol, for example Zenith pistols ship with the correct diopter sight
    Last edited by JohnnyBoi; 07-16-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone. So does the physical height of the two sights matter when they are both laying flat on the table, not installed in the gun? The castle is only about 1/2 inch tall and the diopter is approx 3/4inch

HK= NFG 4 the Wallet
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bauerdb View Post
    Remove the complete sight from the weapon. Leave the windage screw in place. Pull the spring from the bottom and lay the sight flat on the table. Remove the castle with the diopter ready. Screw the diopter on until it hits the table. Few will get it the first time. After you do it a few times it is pretty straightforward.

My sight just happen to be off the weapon, it will be back in my hands tomorrow from MP5 N remark and NFA marking. That little trick worked like a charm. Name:  anim_beer.gif
Views: 43
Size:  2.2 KB

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valuejet82 View Post
    So does the physical height of the two sights matter when they are both laying flat on the table, not installed in the gun? The castle is only about 1/2 inch tall and the diopter is approx 3/4inch
    No, the diopter is taller because it has to be (the additional material on top forming the tops of the openings in the sight).

One trick I use when replacing them is to use one of those convertible screwdrivers. When ready to change the sight, don’t remove the screwdriver, just remove the screwdriver handle, then slide the sight off and back on, without removing the screwdriver head.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)

Welcome to the site!!!

Tony

Sponsored Links