Eltro-Zeiss Fero Z51 NV scope in detail - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Eltro-Zeiss Fero Z51 NV scope in detail

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joetemp View Post
    Any tips on picatinny and weaver mounting?
    I have both and an ARMS #7 and ARMS #19 QD mount that I use for both my Z24 and Z51 scopes.
    They are nice as i can use them on my ARs, HKs, and FALs

here are pics of them:

Eltro-Zeiss Fero Z51 NV scope in detail-2014-03-29_21-39-29_648_zps95432ab0.jpg

Eltro-Zeiss Fero Z51 NV scope in detail-2014-03-29_21-39-08_683_zps3ce405b3.jpg

Eltro-Zeiss Fero Z51 NV scope in detail-2014-03-29_21-39-01_945_zpsedcd2f86.jpg
    Thomas Jefferson -
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsbsmarine View Post
    Beautiful. Thanks for the review and the photos. You should have wrote the instruction manual.
    Was there another mount for the MG3 tripod? I heard the unit comes with a mount that allows direct attachment to the tripod, which would be fantastic for my mm21e.
    Post #2 shows the tripod mount.
    With regards to the P7, there are two classes of people.

1. Those who know it to be the finest pistol ever produced.

2. Those who have yet to fire one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flybynt View Post
    I have both and an ARMS #7 and ARMS #19 QD mount that I use for both my Z24 and Z51 scopes.
    They are nice as i can use them on my ARs, HKs, and FALs

here are pics of them:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-03-29_21-39-29_648_zps95432ab0.jpg 
Views:	734 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	20113

Name:	2014-03-29_21-39-08_683_zps3ce405b3.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	208.4 KB 
ID:	20112

Name:	2014-03-29_21-39-01_945_zpsedcd2f86.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	201.1 KB 
ID:	20114
    I just bought a mint scope and put it on my 91 and it is the most awkward scope I have to get a cheek weld. It sits so high. I was getting ready to post a thread for anyones advice on a Picitinny rail mount. Perfect timing Flybnt. This helps

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKMAN3344 View Post
    I just bought a mint scope and put it on my 91 and it is the most awkward scope I have to get a cheek weld. It sits so high. I was getting ready to post a thread for anyones advice on a Picitinny rail mount. Perfect timing Flybnt. This helps
    I took the quick change adapter off mine which helps lower it some. Another thing I found is it is actually easier to see through this with my left eye. Seems odd at first but it really does make it easier.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKMAN3344 View Post
    You're welcome....I figured someone else might be asking this question as bunch of the Z51 nv scopes just made their way back in country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom5390 View Post
    Another thing I found is it is actually easier to see through this with my left eye. Seems odd at first but it really does make it easier.
    Correct. right hand left eye or left hand right eye seems to work best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Terrific job... makes me want to take it out and PLAY!!!! Thank you.

After looking at it and doing the "Amy... good gorilla!!!" thing for a while, I gave up since manuals were not available in non-german. It just sat in its case, but now, after new manuals and this post, it will be soon doing its intended job at my farm... have plenty of wild boars tearing up my farm, garden, pens, etc... maybe just in time for x-mas... too bad I'm a vegetarian... NOT!!! -:)

Be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm View Post
    On to accessories and mounts. Let's start with the Panzerfaust mount. When this unit entered service, the Germans were using some version of Panzerfaust and the manifest label in the lid identifies the mount that was to be used on that weapon and the lower cushion has a molded area for it as well. My B8-V unit came with that mount and it fits right in the slot for it in this case. However, that is not the mount that came with this unit. Apparently, by the time this scope was made in 1978 they were using a more modern form of Panzerfaust and the mount for that was included here. It was made by HK and is painted in HK's signature blue/black paint whereas the other mounts (except for the claw mount because it is alloy) are phosphated steel. It also came with an instructional pamphlet printed by HK and dated 1979 that explains how to use the mount. I assume that instructional manuals hadn't been updated yet so they threw these updated in with each unit until manuals were reprinted. Anywho, here is the mount seen from different angles and the pamphlet:

Here's the MG3 mount:

Not much to say about it really. You can see the allen screws used to adjust windage and elevation for zeroing and you can see that it (and the Panzerfaust mount already shown) has a rail screwed on top of it for the quick connect clamp which will be shown next.

Here is rail and the quick connect. Left side view:

Right side (quick connect shown only as the rail looks identical from each side):

Top:

Bottom:

Connected and locked:

There are two ways to attach the scope to any particular mount. If you attach the quick connect to the scope and a rail to a mount, you can simply loosen the lever and slide the scope off the rail of one weapon and slide it onto the rail of another to be locked back down. The problem with this is that it raises the scope up off the weapon an extra inch plus. It already sits crazy high and this setup just exacerbates the problem. The other way to do it is to remove the rail from the mount and the quick connect from the scope. Then you screw the scope directly to the mount. The problem with this setup is that you now have a dedicated scope with mount that can only be used on one weapon system. That isn't a problem for me as I don't see myself having opportunity to use it on an MG3 or a Panzerfaust in the foreseeable future! So I just have my scope screwed to the claw mount for rifle use. The claw mount is a typical one as used on any Cetme/HK/PTR style rifle so I'm not going to go into detail on it. The only difference here is that there is no serial number on the mount for obvious reasons. One last note on mounts/rails/quick connect. The numbers that you see on them are not serial numbers. They are part/inventory numbers and they coincide with the numbers shown on the diagram inside the lid. Think about going to an auto parts store and ordering a part for your car. Everything is done by part numbers and the same applies here.

Here we see a screwdriver, lens cleaning cloth folded up in its ziplock bag (with part number printed on it...those tidy little Germans!), 4mm wrench and extra rail/mount screws with lock washers. There is supposed to be a 2mm wrench too according to the manifest but I didn't get one if it was supposed to be there.

Here's the 4mm wrench with it's size and manufacturer markings on it. They painted the stamp in, not me. Just wow....someone at UNBRAKO thought it was necessary to paint the stamp in on what is essentially a throwaway item before it left the factory....really?

Carry bag and strap. Notice the part numbers:

Bag turned inside out to show plastic objective lens protector and canvas ocular lens protector. You can also see the canvas reinforcing strap that runs along the top of the bagin between the d-rings:

YKK zipper in bottom of bag with broken tip of pull fob:

Bag with scope stowed and carry strap attached to d-rings:

Detail of strap connector. The black circle is a rivet, not a snap.

And that's it for tonight. Tomorrow, I will cover the scope itself and throw in a couple comparison shots of it to its Soviet counterpart to finish up. Thanks for your time!

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, picked up one of these (would love another) and I have to say they are the best NV I've seen outside of thermal for G3's.

Thank you Wilhelm, took me a bit to get used to it, once done, fabulous.

DKL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing those awesome pics! Love seeing other member's collections-especially cool stuff like that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm happy to see people still getting use out of my past work!! You guys are the best!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links