Utg stanag claw mount

Thread: Utg stanag claw mount

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Utg stanag claw mount

I'm looking at the UTG STANAG claw mount and it has 2 reviews with 5 stars and a glowing description over at an HKpro partner site. Does anyone actually have one of these? My spidey-sense is on high alert. I get that quality German HK parts are going to be superior, but for the money, is this thing actually worth it? Does it hold zero? Every other UTG product I've handled in person has been airsoft quality. Is this product any different?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Utg stanag claw mount

Quote Originally Posted by goinbroke View Post
    I'm looking at the UTG STANAG claw mount and it has 2 reviews with 5 stars and a glowing description over at an HKpro partner site. Does anyone actually have one of these? My spidey-sense is on high alert. I get that quality German HK parts are going to be superior, but for the money, is this thing actually worth it? Does it hold zero? Every other UTG product I've handled in person has been airsoft quality. Is this product any different?
    I’m not sure what you plan to mount it on...
    When I bought my PTR-91FR several years ago, it was lightly used from my LGS and came with that mount, as well as some other accessories.

I can only speak for the one I own. (still have it if you really want one.)

To answer your question I have to compare it to the German mount which I now own attached to a Hensoldt ZF1. The key differences are this...

The German mount is milled, while the UTG is (I believe, not a metallurgy expert) a sand casted clone which is made in a mold, you can see the lines from it. Thus I wouldn’t put much faith in the actual durability of it.

When they copied it, the small rubberized piece that extends off the rear end of the mount helping to stabilize it against the notch meant for mounting a scope, slightly in front of the rear diopter sight, is just part of the molded metal... It doesn’t allow for the snug fit that the original mount offers.

The one I owned never held a zero for even an hour of shooting and was to me, an unmitigated disaster of a weapon part. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Pros: I got it as part of a very reasonably priced package, for you it’s a cheap option. It offers what the real STANAG does, which is a good view of the diopter sight for when your scope inevitably loses its zero.

On that note, I replaced it with an MFI low profile mount for a time which worked excellently, before buying the surplus Bundeswehr Hensoldt/Wetzler with STANAG mount I currently have on my 91.

My advice.
    If you have a scope already you are heart set on mounting to the gun, get an MFI, or I’ve heard good things about the B&T mounts. If you don’t own the scope already and want something that was made for, and works excellently on a 91, go with the Hendsoldt/Wetzler, it’s good glass, and they pop up at reasonable prices often. I couldn’t be happier with mine, and the mount works great. I realize this is a more expensive option but I assure you less headaches.
    "Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one's potential."
    Bruce Lee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent information, Chef. Thank you! It looks like German is the way to go. I've been on the lookout for a Hendsoldt, but I've only been seeing them for ~$700 or more. What would you consider a *reasonable* price for one of these? And yeah, I'm looking to put it on a PTR-91.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A Hensoldt for $700? You might want to try Heiko Zuber from ZIB militaria in Germany. I paid 199 euro for a Z24 Fero incl accesories.
    Taktisch ausweichen, später anschließen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hauptfeldwebel View Post
    A Hensoldt for $700? You might want to try Heiko Zuber from ZIB militaria in Germany. I paid 199 euro for a Z24 Fero incl accesories.
    Checked their website and the cheapest I saw there was €329 (a much better price) but there were none in stock. Signed up for availability notification. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sponsored Links