What made HK33 never take off? What went wrong? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What made HK33 never take off? What went wrong?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Cost and weight. Bottom line.
    SudS and TiroFijo like this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chipw View Post
    Right. But doesnt he usually shoot long guns left handed?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    For the most part. It's either that or do up a gun Pannone style. I don't think he's printing groups in the vids and probably best not to chance eating some of the violent roller lock ejection.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    ...best not to chance eating some of the violent roller lock ejection.
    My HKs eject forward, while my M16 ejects backward at about 45 degrees.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    My HKs eject forward, while my M16 ejects backward at about 45 degrees.
    I had a cut-down 91 that would barely miss the ejection port and hit either the railed handguard or your fingers on the handguard...with all of the authority. Not sure if I would want to shoot it lefty and risk putting my support arm in that area. That's more what I meant...not physically in your mouth AUG style w/o the conversion.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

I had a cut-down 91 that would barely miss the ejection port and hit either the railed handguard or your fingers on the handguard...with all of the authority. Not sure if I would want to shoot it lefty and risk putting my support arm in that area. That's more what I meant...not physically in your mouth AUG style w/o the conversion.
    Hummmm...never had a piece of HK brass touch me that didn’t bounce off something indoors.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)

Hummmm...never had a piece of HK brass touch me that didn’t bounce off something indoors.
    Ejection examples of my M16, MP5/10, and MP5k.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hkpro-me...-mp5k-pdw.html
    Last edited by SudS; 01-22-2019 at 03:21 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Well it was a bit of an experiment Mike and I cooked up and with M118LR, it was a knuckle-skinnin' MF'er.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For the most part. It's either that or do up a gun Pannone style. I don't think he's printing groups in the vids and probably best not to chance eating some of the violent roller lock ejection.
    As a lefty, i can relate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkshooterusp View Post
    Cost and weight. Bottom line.
    Part of the sad truth.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's heavy for what it is, and the manual of arms is quirky. It doesn't lock back on the last shot, which is not ideal.

Other than that, it's a good rifle. Not perfect, but robust and effective by most metrics. I'd rather carry one in a conflict than the vintage M16A1's that we had in basic training, but that's me. I think a fair (and contemporaneous) comparison is an iron-sighted HK33 and an iron-sighted M16A1, and I'd consider them comparable. In particular, the original magazines for each rifle, in the 60's and 70's, should be considered, and the stock HK33 mags were better. I have heard that one of the reasons Navy SEALS liked them in Viet Nam was the availability of OEM 40 round magazines.

HK33 was popular, in it's day, in South America and southeast Asia. Most of those rifles are probably still working, somewhere, like the old G3's are, in countless conflict zones. Both rifles have been passed around a lot in South America, from country to country, enough to make the lefty arms-control kooks in Germany do back-flips, and accuse H&K of profiteering and war crimes.

Roller-locks make good "end of the world" rifles, but they are not modular like an M-4/ AR-15, and must be assembled and repaired by competent roller-lock gunsmiths/armorers. The HK33 was probably only ever cost effective if a nation was going to produce them locally, under license. They are stamped steel and don't require much strategic materials, like aluminum, in places where that would be a consideration.

It's also worth noting, in fairness, that the HK33 never truly had a 40+ year, fully-supported and funded Product Improvement Program, like the AR-15/ M-16/ M-4 has had.
    "Remain yourself, in spite of all the mighty do."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links