What made HK33 never take off? What went wrong?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What made HK33 never take off? What went wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What made HK33 never take off? What went wrong?

Honestly I like the HK33, specifically the HK33E, I really do.
    But what went wrong with it? While G3 and MP5 proved to be successful, HK33 isn't seen with the same eyes.
    What made her never take off in the same scale as G3 and MP5? I'm curious about.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It did take off, It was one of the first weapons chambered for 5.56. I think what made it not as popular was the fact that many countries were banking on the 7.62 nato.

I did see a Larry Vickers video where LAV said the 5.56 roller delayed blowbacks was not the best model for some reason. I think something to do with pressure or the excuse that people try to justify 9mm over 40. Muh high pressure. However Larry Vickers was a delta guy so I do tend to listen to what he says.
    Last edited by Slytiger; 01-21-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slytiger View Post
    It did take off, It was one of the first weapons chambered for 5.56. I think what made it not as popular was the fact that many countries were banking on the 7.62 nato.

I did see a Larry Vickers video where LAV said the 5.56 roller delayed blowbacks was not the best model for some reason. I think something to do with pressure or the excuse that people try to justify 9mm over 40. Muh high pressure. However Larry Vickers was a delta guy so I do tend to listen to what he says.
    He knows about what he's talking.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I would also surmise the United States was handing out M16 party favors to everyone about the same time it was released and for decades after.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very true. And ever since the Vietnam era, everywhere one faction has the Kalashnikov, the other faction is using the M-16 series.

I don’t think the HK 33 was as mad produced as much as the G3, M-16, AKM, or FAL was. You also had the Galil, FAMAS and space age looking AUG come into fruition.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes people always talk about how many AK variants that the Soviets sent abroad, but most of the West also used modern weapons to gain political clout and influence around the world. What the US gave away, smuggled in to various places, or sold is insane. Many also left tons of weapons when they left during various regime changes or when colonies were gaining independece. I read that we "gifted" over 900,000 M16's to South Vietnam alone along with countless M14's and M1 carbines.
    There were in fact quite a few customers for HK33 sales all over the world from special forces to police. It was quite popular as far as I can tell. Plenty are still in service. Not sure what the actual production numbers were. Someone here has that information I am almost certain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 6Rstar View Post
    Yes people always talk about how many AK variants that the Soviets sent abroad, but most of the West also used modern weapons to gain political clout and influence around the world. What the US gave away, smuggled in to various places, or sold is insane. Many also left tons of weapons when they left during various regime changes or when colonies were gaining independece. I read that we "gifted" over 900,000 M16's to South Vietnam alone along with countless M14's and M1 carbines.
    There were in fact quite a few customers for HK33 sales all over the world from special forces to police. It was quite popular as far as I can tell. Plenty are still in service. Not sure what the actual production numbers were. Someone here has that information I am almost certain.

Well. Brazilian Air Force still using both HK33 and SiG SG550, but they're being replaced (slowly) by the Brazilian made IMBEL IA-2

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Money. The G3 was competitive because there weren’t a lot of competent competitors in 7.62. Meanwhile, the US was making M16s available to friendly countries for a song. Other less popular platforms in 5.56 were out there for less $ than a 33 as well.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-...tml#post816328

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-...tml#post818165

...and you can continue to read Jim's comments after those.

Why did it not take off?
    Answer: It's pretty much the bastard child of a weapon that was originally selected partially for convenience.

Despite what many here would have you believe, the G3 was never technically "Mr. Right"...but "Mr. Right NOW". Many will say that the Germans were looking hard at the G4 but the fact of having to rely on outside help (Dutch who adopted in '57...a few years before German selection), the G3 stamped sheet metal gun could be done at home quickly without having to pay the Belgians(G1) or rely on the US or Dutch. As successful as the G3 and MP5's have been...as G3k notes...the heyday of the roller-lock is OVER.

The 5.56 roller-lock is arguable the most feeble of all the variants largely due to the case geometry in the taper vs length vs width. And if you pay attention to G3k's presentations, the 5.56 production came on the heels of HK being bled dry by the failed G11 endeavor. The G41 was a feeble attempt to pretty up a 33 for NATO consumption, but it couldn't even keep up with a CAR15 of the day...which cost and weighed far less. The G36 exists because all of the other offerings were too weak for adoption.

The only and I mean ONLY time I believe it had relevance was in the early days of Vietnam when you saw the H&R guns being used while the M16 was getting [email protected] from the damage inflicted by the good idea fairies (Army/McNamara). G3k/Schatz would have you believe the HK53 had some untapped potential before other 5.56 Super-shorty's got sorted out. However, I'm kinda with Vickers in that the juice isn't worth the squeeze on that one either.

Last edited by dms16; 01-21-2019 at 02:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-...tml#post816328

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-...tml#post818165

...and you can continue to read Jim's comments after those.

Why did it not take off?
    Answer: It's pretty much the bastard child of a weapon that was originally selected partially for convenience.

Despite what many here would have you believe, the G3 was never technically "Mr. Right"...but "Mr. Right NOW". Many will say that the Germans were looking hard at the G4 but the fact of having to rely on outside help (Dutch who adopted in '57...a few years before German selection), the G3 stamped sheet metal gun could be done at home quickly without having to pay the Belgians(G1) or rely on the US or Dutch. As successful as the G3 and MP5's have been...as G3k notes...the heyday of the roller-lock is OVER.

The 5.56 roller-lock is arguable the most feeble of all the variants largely due to the case geometry in the taper vs length vs width. And if you pay attention to G3k's presentations, the 5.56 production came on the heels of HK being bled dry by the failed G11 endeavor. The G41 was a feeble attempt to pretty up a 33 for NATO consumption, but it couldn't even keep up with a CAR15 of the day...which cost and weighed far less. The G36 exists because all of the other offerings were too weak for adoption.

The only and I mean ONLY time I believe it had relevance was in the early days of Vietnam when you saw the H&R guns being used while the M16 was getting [email protected] from the damage inflicted by the good idea fairies (Army/McNamara). G3k/Schatz would have you believe the HK53 had some untapped potential before other 5.56 Super-shorty's got sorted out. However, I'm kinda with Vickers in that the juice isn't worth the squeeze on that one either.

Thanks for explaining.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links