MP5 lights - Surefire 628 vs B&T TL99 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: MP5 lights - Surefire 628 vs B&T TL99

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeaviSG90 View Post
    There is also the Steiner/laser devices.
    Which has enough offset to clear even big cans like the SiCo Hybrid.
    I'm still looking for an LED conversion if anyone knows of one.Attachment 227874
    You may want to contact Malkoff, if Steiner doesn't make one. They might be able to provide either a replacement light head or at least a bulb/heatsink combo that might work.

I'll have to keep my eye out for a Steiner to add to my accessory pile. Unfortunately, the ones I've see are still too pricey for whim purchase (and I certainly can't justify having 3 lighted hand guards for a gun that sits in my safe between range visits).

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Just thought I would post a quick update in this. Since I posted this review, I've sold my MP5SD and my Surefire 628 (along with a lot of other things).

That left me with my Omega OM9 and the B&T (since unlike the 628, there isn't much market for a used B&T, as they can be found pretty cheap brand new).

With some finagling, I actually got the B&T mount to fit properly on the Omega. It just took a little bit of work to force it on and it works perfectly.

I can say that, while I still prefer 628 in terms of how it feels and control placement, I can now say with certainty that you absolutely can use a suppressor with the 3-lug with the B&T mount on it. I can put my Silencerco Hybrid with the 3-lug adapter on the gun with no issue with the B&T in place. So definitely +1 to B&T for that part of the design. I just wish they made their grip a bit more ergonomic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Since this thread has been brought up again, I wanted to mention that the Steiner LDITL can be converted to LED, but it took some work and creativity.

The base incandescent design is set up for use with the Surefire Millennium-pattern heads, so I picked up an MD90 conversion thread adapter from Malkoff Devices, which converted Millennium-pattern bodies to accept Scout-pattern heads. However, the MD90, being designed for flashlights like the M95X series, is too long. I talked to Gene Malkoff about the issue, and he recommended sanding the adapter down to fit since it's fairly malleable. An hour or so later, I had it right about where it needed to be. I also cut a couple of notches into the adapter so I could remove it with the back end of a knife if necessary (it had previously gotten stuck on my light head when unscrewed, and stuck on the body a few times too).

Works great with my Malkoff E2S head now, which I pulled off of a retired Arisaka 600.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MP5 lights - Surefire 628 vs B&T TL99-img_1368.jpg  
    Last edited by RedRaptor; 02-09-2020 at 07:18 PM.
    Vg247 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaptor View Post
    Since this thread has been brought up again, I wanted to mention that the Steiner LDITL can be converted to LED, but it took some work and creativity.

The base incandescent design is set up for use with the Surefire Millennium-pattern heads, so I picked up an MD90 conversion thread adapter from Malkoff Devices, which converted Millennium-pattern bodies to accept Scout-pattern heads. However, the MD90, being designed for flashlights like the M95X series, is too long. I talked to Gene Malkoff about the issue, and he recommended sanding the adapter down to fit since it's fairly malleable. An hour or so later, I had it right about where it needed to be. I also cut a couple of notches into the adapter so I could remove it with the back end of a knife if necessary (it had previously gotten stuck on my light head when unscrewed, and stuck on the body a few times too).

Works great with my Malkoff E2S head now, which I pulled off of a retired Arisaka 600.
    That’s a sweet setup. May I ask which Scalerworks mount you’re using, and what rail?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It's just the basic standard cowitness LDM mount (predecessor to the current-gen LEAP). Rail is a B&T BT-21262-1. The base of the front sight post is slightly occluded by the mount screw with this setup, but the irons are still very much usable.
    Vg247 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

If you want the best on the market you better jump on this one. This is only the second Steiner LDITL I've seen come through the marketplace in years:

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-parts...handguard.html

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have some of the old Surefire's that I did the Malkoff LED conversion to and really like it... except it wont work with any suppressor that I own.
    I have three of the B&T's on different MP5's and like them the best. In addition to the momentary pad you have a choice of off or on all the time. I like the momentary pad. My only beef with the B&T is that I have not been able to find the NATO newer spec rails for the two empty spots on either side. B&T advertises a version of the lighted forearm with extra rails but I've never been able to find on or even just the rails from B&T USA (they wanted $60 apiece and would have to order them from Europe - I tried and four months later they told me I would have to order them from a third party in the USA. I didn't.) I ordered a relatively inexpensive B&T plastic (they do make aluminum also) three rail MP5 fore-grip with no light and have been cannibalizing the rails from that to put on my lighted ones.

If anyone here knows who has these in stock in the US please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Not sure where this should go, so I figured I would default to this section.

I find myself the owner, but not yet possessor, of a used Surefire 628 (momentary pad and 2 switch model) and a brand new B&T TL99 with light. It ended up being a weird confluence of a Gunbroker auction I didn't think I'd win and a sale with a price too good to pass up.

Anyway, I will now have 2 lighted handguards for my 1 full size MP5.

Pricing wise, when new, they seem to be pretty close and, ironically, with the used nature of the one and the sale price on the other, the two I have are also roughly the same price (though I will need to upgrade the Surefire to an LED, probably with a Malkoff conversion like I did with the Surefire on my Benelli M1).

I'm curious to what the various HKPro opinions are on these two different light options for the MP5. I mostly see references to the Surefire 628, but I see almost no info on the B&T TL99 (maybe it's more popular in Europe?). I thought a head-to-head comparison thread might help future Google searchers with this topic.

George from Alaska

HK45T DA/SA, HK45T Light LEM, Mark 23 90's era, no lockout, P30L v3, another on it's way, P30L Light LEM, USP .45 Elite
    rrMP5 SEF select fire - Flemming from a 94
    IGF MP5 SBR
    IGF HK33 pistol
    RDTS MP5 pistol from a German HK parts kit
    RDTS MP5 SD pistol from a German HK parts kit
    TSC MP5K N pistol from a German SP89
    bunch of suppressors
    other NFA machine guns
    07/02

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

SP5 with B&T TL99 and Omega 9K 3-lug can. Nice fitment.

1/16” space remains between the light and can.

The Omega 9K outer diameter is 1.48” as per SilencerCo spec sheet. If your can is any wider, it won’t work with the TL99.

Attachment 255916
    MP5 lights - Surefire 628 vs B&T TL99-05f8602d-f0df-4776-9612-47cf5afe03a2.jpeg
    Last edited by armedjetflyer; 04-08-2020 at 02:48 AM.
    Vg247 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by armedjetflyer View Post
    SP5 with B&T TL99 and Omega 9K 3-lug can. Nice fitment.

1/16” space remains between the light and can.

The Omega 9K outer diameter is 1.48” as per SilencerCo spec sheet. If your can is any wider, it won’t work with the TL99.

Attachment 255916
    Attachment 255918
    Awesome, thanks for confirming along with the pictures..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

as of 4/7/20...

The HKWEBSHOP still offers the Swiss made B&T TL99 for $166 with an additional 15% discount using the code GIDDYUPMP5 provided by Derek on his YouTube video. You can't find it elsewhere for less than $499. This is a steal while it lasts!

Thanks HK, and thanks Derek!
    Last edited by armedjetflyer; 04-09-2020 at 01:28 AM.
    Ctsearay and CaptRex like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links