Is the KAC MP5 RAS forearm worth it?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Is the KAC MP5 RAS forearm worth it?

JBG

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Is the KAC MP5 RAS forearm worth it?

Hey there

I'm considering to replace the slim hand guard on my MP5.
    I want to keep the old school look so I was thinking either the KAC RAS hand guard or the Surefire Lighted Forearm.

Unfortunately it's impossible to try them out since I have to import them from the US first and importing ITAR stuff is no fun.

The downside of the SF one is that I can't mount a suppressor on the gun when the hand guard is attached and SF unfortunately no longer produces the railed hand guard.

So I'm leaning towards the KAC one. but I'm wondering if it's worth the price.

What do you think?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Well, I have one MP5 set up old school with the slim forearm and another with the KAC RAS. In general I am not a big fan of picatinny forearms because I don't like how they feel. Much of this can be remedied with rail covers. I find the HK style covers and even the KAC covers a bit bulky bu the rubber/plastic ladder covers work well. The beauty of the RAS is that you can attach a vertical fore grip, lighting, a laser, etc so they are pretty handy. I also have a two point sling with quick detach buttons and the front button goes on the RAS. So, overall, I think they are pretty handy. AND available for reasonable coin now that KAC has made a new batch.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with. And pics are always a must:)
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NFATCA Member

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I really like the ras handguard and have it on my mp5n, mp5f, 33k, and g3k guns. Most with the kac broomstick on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

True "old school" would be the slimline forearm or Surefire 628 !!!

Tony

JBG

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    True "old school" would be the slimline forearm or Surefire 628 !!!

Tony
    You're absolutely right.
    I thought, tho the KAC rail and a Silencer gives a normal MP5 a bit of an MP5 SD look.

Like thatIs the KAC MP5 RAS forearm worth it?-78218.jpg

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JBG View Post
    You're absolutely right.
    I thought, tho the KAC rail and a Silencer gives a normal MP5 a bit of an MP5 SD look.

Like thatClick image for larger version. 

Name:	78218.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	233878
    Not bad--- that actually looks good with a detachable suppressor!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Good forearm options, but I opted to make my own

For me the KAC RAS and Surefire Lighted Forearm were both good options, but I really disliked having to compromise between mounting surfaces or a solid light source. I’m not a huge fan of permanently affixed Pic rails with or without covers and I also disliked compromising on the suppressor installation with the SureFire forearm like you pointed out.

So in the absence of finding exactly what I wanted, I decided to make it myself. I tried to keep it as true to “old school effect” while using “new school tech” to evolve my patent-pending forearm to a new plane of existence.

- 6061-T6 Aluminum extruded by an aerospace/defense company
    - M-LOK mounting surfaces at the 3, 6, and 9 o’clock positions
    - Additional mounting surfaces for add-on rails of any type at the 2, 5, 7, and 11 o’clock positions
    - Retention via 2 cross bolts, so a pretty nice quick-change setup
    - Low profile full-length Pic rail the entire length of the firearm. I can honestly say I don't really miss the iron sights since I predominately use optics of some type
    - Front end completely open for any attachment approximately 1.5 inches in diameter, since I wanted to be able to use this on a future SD build as well

Works incredibly well on everything I’ve tested it on thus far: G3K, MP5, and a 33. (The MP5 is sporting a registered sear, which helps a lot since the majority of testing has been on auto and with full mag dumps).

I love the ACR stock and have not been disappointed in it at all. The pictured stock adaptor was 3D printed but I’ve got a batch coming back from the aerospace/defense company that are aluminum and oh so pretty. The stock height for me is perfect since it gives me a solid cheek weld with almost every rot dot or scope I run.

I kinda think my forearm on a normal MP5 also gives it a bit of an SD look. And I don’t have to compromise on anything I want to attach to the barrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the KAC MP5 RAS forearm worth it?-img_3351.jpg   Is the KAC MP5 RAS forearm worth it?-img_3961.jpg   Is the KAC MP5 RAS forearm worth it?-img_3971.jpg   Is the KAC MP5 RAS forearm worth it?-fullsizeoutput_12d0.jpeg  

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Wow! Cant wait for when these are available! Website I can follow? @Navyman2015
    Spent most of my tax return on Hk parts, booze and ammo....the rest I just wasted

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow nice setup and great innovation!! I look forward to watching you get this going and then getting in line for mine!
    My beautiful wife, the first love of my life, my guns second. Or as she calls them, my second wife.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anopstyx View Post
    Wow! Cant wait for when these are available! Website I can follow? @Navyman2015
    I don't have a website yet since this project was originally just to rectify my unwillingness to compromise on my expectations. But enough people have shown an interest that I'll put something together. I should stress that these only work on new builds since there's way too many beauty bumps and build ups on the traditional roller-lock platform, and they would require permanent modification for the sights alone. That's not a concern for me since the design allows me to build each one exactly the way I want it and easily modify it afterwards if I change my mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links