Thread: This is BIG...HK in on the Army's NGSW with Textron

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Default This is BIG...HK in on the Army's NGSW with Textron

HKPro Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am really surprised there hasn't been any interest in this here. I think the potential is huge.

Tspeis

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I've been following NGSW for a bit and I'll be quite surprised if both awards do not go to SIG. Take a hard look at the complete package each competitor is offering and make your own prediction.
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't know, I dont particularly pay attention until I read that they are being delivered to their prospective units.

The army will make everyone add 2 dozen changes to the submitted designs which will add complexity, 20 pounds of weight, the per unit cost will be $80,000. When they almost have a winner it's not a big enough improvement over existing equipment and they'll cancel the project.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Meh...I didn't think most would give a **** as it doesn't immediately affect them despite the potential to affect military small arms and all small arms by extension (provided we're able to own them in the future).

I imagine most (rightfully) think it will go the way of 95% of all other projects or trying to cram a square peg in a round hole a la the doomed OICW project.

That said, I've heard several guys high up in the industry say that they are fairly committed to finding their answer to defeating an imminent near-peer armor threat...cause M855A1 won't defeat plate tech. Like the X-SAPI, said option may not be used, but they want it. And they might as well find that next big thing while they are at it.

We know they've got a raging hard on for:
    - Sig
    - CT LSAT machine gun (Textron...which now means HK too)

Some of the numbers (pressure/MV) that they want I think are a little lofty for this 6.8 stuff. And while I don't think they'll get everything they want, I think this is the marked start of some next gen stuff.
    IsaacL and LCSO264 like this.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The programs related to next gen weapons are not going to go anywhere without someone to make the hard push like Robert McNamara for the 5.56/M16. The only change I see to possibly happen is the replacement of the FN M240/249 with the KAC LMG. The next big concern is when someone that does come along and stick their neck out and make the major push everyone is going to be watching for it to fail or go over budget and be the next F35.
    HK KI MARK 23
    HK KI USP45 Tactical
    HK BG USP9 Tactical
    HK BG 45 Tactical
    HK BG VP9 Tactical
    HK BG VP9
    HK BG P30
    HK BG P30SK
    HK BG SP5K(MP5K-N)
    TPM MP5F
    TPM P5SD
    MM 23E
    MM 23EK
    MM G36C
    MM G36K
    Looking for BG P30L V3 9mm & BG USP 9 Expert

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacL View Post
    I've been following NGSW for a bit and I'll be quite surprised if both awards do not go to SIG. Take a hard look at the complete package each competitor is offering and make your own prediction.
    Interesting this release just came out from SIG today on the NGSW:
    https://www.sigsauer.com/press-relea..._source=Eloqua

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Looks like all three competitors have announced successful down selection for phase two.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speeddemon02 View Post
    The programs related to next gen weapons are not going to go anywhere without someone to make the hard push like Robert McNamara for the 5.56/M16. The only change I see to possibly happen is the replacement of the FN M240/249 with the KAC LMG. The next big concern is when someone that does come along and stick their neck out and make the major push everyone is going to be watching for it to fail or go over budget and be the next F35.
    Hearing Ash Hess (KAC employee and unapologetic KAC cheerleader) talk about the KAC LAMG and LMG, it sounds to be a great replacement right to about 5 years from now. Even HE says nobody's looking at buying it because they're too busy looking down the road. 100% agree that those offerings would have a place and be well received right now (if used appropriately), but that's not how this works.

But then again, smarter people got their say and put the brakes on that stupid 308 Interim Combat Service Rifle...

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRex View Post
    Interesting this release just came out from SIG today on the NGSW:
    https://www.sigsauer.com/press-relea..._source=Eloqua
    Am I crazy but that makes it sound like it's over and a done deal. Pretty sure Sig, Textron/HK, and GD are just moving to the next level and no final selection has been made...
    LCSO264 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links