Learn From My Mistake
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Learn From My Mistake

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Learn From My Mistake

When I bought my SP5K I also bought a RCM full-auto bolt carrier so I could run it with my F/A trigger pack. I installed my semi-auto bolt group into the RCM carrier and the 5K ran perfect, no issues at all through about 250 rounds. However, I took it out a couple of weekends ago and ran another 150 rounds through it and had two light primer strikes. I thought that was odd, but I wrote it off as the gun possibly being dirty and decided to clean it. I took it down and low and behold, the freaking HK locking piece was stuck in the RCM carrier. I soaked it in CLP overnight, placed the locking piece in a vise, and proceeded to beat the crap out of it but I couldn't drive the bolt carrier off the locking piece no matter what I tried. Seems to function fine, bolt head moves in and out as normal, but the locking piece just will not come out. I put the gun back together but I haven't shot it yet. I'm pretty sure it will continue to work (light primer strikes not withstanding), but it will no doubt seize up completely at some point if I continue to shoot it. I'm gonna have to send the BCG to an HK gunsmith to see if they can do anything with it. If it can't be fixed, I'll be out an HK locking piece, firing pin, spring, and a RCM carrier.

My advice to anyone wanting to run their SP5K full-auto would be to use an HK F/A carrier or buy the complete RCM BCG. Mixing and matching parts has not worked out well for me. :(
    JetRanger

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Dump it in a bucket of Kroil. Leave it sit for a few days. Prolly will come apart much easier. Do not read the MSDS on Kroil.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightgrain View Post
    Do not read the MSDS on Kroil.
    . lol
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightgrain View Post
    Dump it in a bucket of Kroil. Leave it sit for a few days. Prolly will come apart much easier. Do not read the MSDS on Kroil.
    Ha! I'll give that a shot, thanks!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ok, I soaked the bolt carrier in Kroil for a week, then I was able to drive the carrier off the locking piece. Thanks for the tip straightgrain!

When I went to install the new RCM locking piece, it wouldn't fit! The opening in the carrier measures 10.89mm and the shoulder at the back of the locking piece (both HK & RCM) measures 11.01mm. WTH??? The RCM carrier has a machined piece on each side of the carrier opening, I'm guessing one of these somehow shifted slightly reducing the diameter of the opening. I sent a message to RCM requesting assistance today, hopefully they'll respond next week...

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the update JetRanger. Your trouble got my attention when you posted initially as I'm running the same set up in an SP5K... RCM FA carrier and using the bolt, LP, firing pin and spring that came with the gun. Had a chance to pull the carrier out this morning and everything came apart like normal. My round count to date is approx. 1000 with most all being Winchester 124 gr. NATO that a lot of folks use, a couple boxes of S&B 115 gr and virtually all in FA because that's what I bought the gun for. Runs like a little sewing machine. Only lube used to date has been Rem Oil.

I bring up the ammo because you didn't offer what you were using and I read a (older?) thread not long ago about a similar situation (but not with an SP5K and I don't think an RCM carrier) where the person couldn't get the LP out of the carrier and it sounded like maybe ammo related caused damage. Not saying that's what happened here but thought I would bring it up.

Wish I could give you a link to the thread but I have read so many archived posts in the last few months both here and other boards and can't remember where I saw it. Been off the boards for almost 10 years and feel a little bit like Rip Van Winkle on some of this gun stuff both with HK's and other platforms. I was surprised that my login at HKPro still even worked. Good luck on getting things sorted out and please keep us updated.

marks
    JetRanger likes this.

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Kroil is some amazing stuff.
    JetRanger likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes, I am now an unpaid Kroil spokesperson!

I have only used S&B 124GR FMJ in the gun thus far. I can't really see how ammo could be the issue, I laid down a coat of Fire Clean on everything before I put the first round through it and everything cleaned up nicely once I got the thing apart. I'm hoping the folks at RCM can shed some light, I'll post a follow-up once I talk with them...

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Thanks for the report--- keep us updated!!!

Tony

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Update:

I contacted RCM via their web portal on Saturday 10-05 and received a reply by email that evening asking me to return the bolt carrier for inspection. I shipped it to them on 10-10 (I was busy that week so the delay was on me). On 10-14 I received another email saying "...we are shipping out a replacement carrier. It looks like the ID was mushroomed in for some reason. It could be the heat treat maybe. We will test it for hardness." As promised, I received the new bolt carrier today.

Curiously, the new carrier was all one piece. Those machined pieces on each side of the locking piece hole were not present on the new carrier. I really believe those were the problem. I wish I'd taken a photo before I sent it back. Dangit!

I'll of course report back with any problems. All in all, excellent customer service from RCM in my opinion, I'm very happy with the way they treated me!
    gt40doc likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links