Why has HK never embraced 10mm? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Why has HK never embraced 10mm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lastly I’d say people are converting some 45 acp handguns to shoot .460 Rowland with just a “conversion kit”, which is a barrel, recoil spring, and compensator. The ballistics of that round approaches that of .44 mag and gives you roughly 300% more power and 185% more speed (lower end .45 to upper end .460 Rowland). My point is, if the frame and slide of 45acp handguns can handle the power of the .460 Rowland there’s no way in the world they can’t be durable enough for 10mm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jjones45 View Post
    Lastly I’d say people are converting some 45 acp handguns to shoot .460 Rowland with just a “conversion kit”, which is a barrel, recoil spring, and compensator. The ballistics of that round approaches that of .44 mag and gives you roughly 300% more power and 185% more speed (lower end .45 to upper end .460 Rowland). My point is, if the frame and slide of 45acp handguns can handle the power of the .460 Rowland there’s no way in the world they can’t be durable enough for 10mm.
    My Glock 21/20 now sees more use with .460R for hiking & camping activities for the reason, I want it to have a magazine full of the best I can handle, though not enjoy.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent04 View Post
    Oh yeah. I've shot a 155 and 165 grain SD ammo through by USP40. It stings like hell, more so than 180 grain.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARCTICDETH View Post
    Yes sir, those 165’s kick good!
    Only ones I shot through the P30.
    The P30 is a small light pistol.
    No, I’m not a Nancy, but they do kick pretty good!
    If you want to run .40 S&W 165-grain comfortably out of your favorite H&K pistol, consider a grip retexturing (mainly for the USP, unnecessary for the P30 or VP40 in my opinion) and adding a Surefire X300 Ultra flashlight to reduce the recoil.

I run a H&K USP40 full size with a grip-retexturing from Fowler Industries (formerly known as Enhanced Precision Products), GG&G M1913 rail adapter, Surefire X300-A Ultra, and the 16-round Expert magazines with the metal baseplate removed and replaced with the plastic one. I use only the 165-grain ammunition at full-power 1100+ feet-per-second, and in such format the USP40 has astonishingly mild recoil, can shoot it all day, 500 rounds, 600 rounds, 750+ rounds, with absolutely no discomfort. And I am not a gym rat, only 5’9 tall, could not play football in high-school, etc.

In my own personal experience spanning more than a quarter-century, a H&K USP40 or USP45 with a grip-retexturing is going to provide dramatically reduced recoil in a platform which many believe in its original unmodified format to be amongst the most comfortable to shoot in either of those larger calibers, given the effectiveness of the patented recoil reduction system in the USP. The user interface with the weapon itself plays a pivotal role in either reducing or accentuating the recoil. For me, the aggressive cheese-grater checkering on the front and backstraps of the HK USP increases the recoil, and by consequence, removing said checkering dramatically decreases the recoil.

And you must also understand that when it comes to firearms, weight and recoil have a mathematical relationship that is an inverse proportion. All things being equal, if you add weight to a firearm, you will reduce the recoil, and if you subtract weight from the firearm (say by going from a 4-inch barrel to a 2-inch in a S&W revolver) you will increase the recoil.

I therefore have added GG&G M1913 rail adapters and Surefire X300-A Ultras to all of my USP40’s and USP45’s, and the increase in weight makes for extraordinary rapid-fire control and comfort shooting the hottest supersonic 165-grain .40 S&W and .45 Automatic +P ammunition of all varieties, with Federal .45 Auto 230-grain HST +P and Super Vel .45 Auto 160-grain +P being two of the better ones.
    Last edited by Lossiter; 04-30-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Sponsored Links