Why has HK never embraced 10mm?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Why has HK never embraced 10mm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why has HK never embraced 10mm?

Have always been curious. Why has HK never offered anything in 10mm?

Thanks!
    Steeldog and Jonnylifestyle like this.
    Own: USPt45 OD, Mark 23
    Want: SP5, Surefire mk23 rail

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Perhaps since Angela Merkel took over, size of caliber is irrelevant.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

10mm has a following the likes I've never seen for an "out-of-mainstream" commercial caliber.

The problem with 10mm is the people and the loadings. How do you satisfy the dude that wants 44magnum-level numbers out of a 10mm versus the dainty recoil averse snowlfakes that made it so commercial AR's have cavernous gas ports to run their garbage ammo and that no factory gun has a grip texture worth a ****. Suffice to say...there's a wide gap between super hot and 40 S&W ish loads.

How do you load for that?

And once you have settled on some happy ground of something like 180gr @1250fps (or whatever)

You have to design a gun around that; historically, adapting an existing style often is a poor option that will ultimately end with issues. Not many want to go through that R&D for a limited (yet rabid) consumer base.

Personally, the 10mm MP5 was an idea ahead of its time (especially if allowed to mature/refine). The 10mm-level PDW/magnum-powered PCC/next gen 30 Carbine IS something that had merit.
    Last edited by dms16; 01-30-2020 at 08:48 PM.
    ig720 and LCSO264 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

There is no military or LE requirement for a 10mm handgun or rifle. That's why. If the military or LE did have such a requirement, and projected profits for meeting that requirement were lucrative, HK would make one and then maybe offer it to us civvies. That's the HK model for doing business. Military/LE first, us civvies second. Sucks, I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Making a lot of sense. Thanks for all replies!

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

I'm confused...

So, a 40 S&W in 180 gr shooting in excess of 1200 fps is not enough for people on this board? I have plenty of three different brands, Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement, Federal, and Speer LE Gold Dot Duty. ONLY the Speer Gold Dot is hollow points, the other two are flat nose. When you shoot the 180 gr, YOU KNOW IT, because it is a hand full with it's increased recoil.

Bought a case of each a long time ago. Just put it away after shooting two mags for test purposes. If memory serves it was shooting 1100 - 1250 fps out of a full size USP 40. But it's been a LOONG TIME since I shot any of it.

That gives the 10mm a run for it's money and it's in the (GASP) 40 caliber (aka 10x22) - oh, wait, the same size as the 10mm, though to be honest, the 10mm case IS a shade longer for more powder... other than that? Pretty much same caliber size. The 40 cal uses a small pistol primer while the 10 mm uses the large pistol primer. Which it may need for the extra powder it burns?? IDK...

40 cal wiki says:

The .40 S&W (10×22mm Smith & Wesson in unofficial metric notation) is a rimless pistol cartridge developed jointly by major American firearms manufacturers Smith & Wesson and Winchester. The .40 S&W was developed from the ground up as a law enforcement cartridge designed to duplicate performance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's (FBI) reduced-velocity 10mm Auto cartridge which could be retrofitted into medium-frame (9mm size) semi-automatic handguns. It uses 0.40-inch (10 mm) diameter bullets ranging in weight from 105 to 200 grains (6.8 to 13.0 g).

I am curious as to how the 180 gr would shoot out of a good suppressor?

I also have Herter's Select Grade Aluminum Case 165 gr total nylon jacket... same deal, bought a case a LONG time ago. I have tested it against vests. Does a good job slicing right through...
    Last edited by wallew; 01-31-2020 at 02:27 PM.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I’m a 10mm fan but I’m also one not affected by recoil like some may be. You can get up to 41 mag power in 10mm loads and that means I can have a high power and high capacity pistol to hunt with. I like the idea of a full mag of hot 10mm loads when I’m hunting hogs. I’d also like a 10mm MP5 but will most likely never have one.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

It is very simple. HK builds weapons specifically for Military and LE contracts. Not a single weapon (original series production, not something modified later like the USP Elite for example) was ever designed that wasn't tied to a specific requirement.
    10mm was only associated with two contracts. Both of those had to do with the FBI. First was their request for a new service pistol chambered in 10mm and HK, who was already working on the USP had planned to complete that and submit it, but before they could, the FBI changed their mind and it was the .40 S&W that was all the rage.
    The second came soon after when the FBI decided that they though they had moved on from 10mm in a handgun, they wanted to augment some of their 9mm MP5s with a 10mm variant, to which HK said, buy 5000 of them and we'll make them for you. The FBI proved to be the only significant purchaser of the weapon in that caliber and so, it was not in the catalog for very long.
    So, in short, without a legitimate demand from a LE/Mil Contract to support it, 10mm is not an interest to HK, nor is any other fad.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

@ wallew,

your 40S&W ain't going not 1200 fps on 180gr projos...

You're lucky if they're going 1000fps. Posted FPS for Ranger 180 T is 990's out of a Glock 22.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post
    ...... When you shoot the 180 gr, YOU KNOW IT, because it is a hand full with it's increased recoil....
    Oh yeah. I've shot a 155 and 165 grain SD ammo through by USP40. It stings like hell, more so than 180 grain.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links